AMD Driver Issues

OP
cgi86

cgi86

Tech Enthusiast
Installed a fresh copy of windows 7 ultimate after formatting. updated upto dec 2011 . installed all latest intel drivers including chipset drivers . installed the latest directx , dotnet , visual c++ runtimes etc . updated to latest catalyst driver .

just tried out with one game . burnout paradise in maxed out settings . it gave driver crash error once and recovered quickly . have not tried any other game after that .

but still the problem persists . :( . fairly and squarely beaten by this mystery !

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
@ OP - so it's not some software issue - reset CMOS settings > make sure pci-e bus is set at 100 Mhz and onboard gfx is disabled ( bios settings ) > test the cpu with some load test app like lynx or OCCt ( med/small data set ) for at-least 2 hour and monitor the cpu temp ( you can also use HWmonitor for that ) - try using another psu.

OP
cgi86

cgi86

Tech Enthusiast
Are there any reliable mainboard diagnostic tool ? Checking with another mainboard /psu is not viable option for me.none of my friends has compatible mainboard / psu. I'll check the processor and monitor temperature in mean time.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you want to stress test the mobo then use OCCT large data set test for 1-2 hour though it's not the best diagnostic option but it will put some huge load on cpu, specially memory modules and mobo chipset for cpu testing the medium and small data set test is more suitable though.

Check the system temp using HWmoinitor app while you are running these tests and keep an eye on the volt level - if the test completes with or without any error post the results here and also do post the HWmonitor screenshot ( running during steers test with temp and volt level clearly visible ) here.

OP
cgi86

cgi86

Tech Enthusiast
hi all. i ran stress test with linx . i'm posting the screenshots here . it gave an error when i ran with the all memory option . is 82 c ok temperature ?

first test . no errors .

*img69.imageshack.us/img69/2710/linxresult.th.jpg

second test . with error after 6 min.

*img521.imageshack.us/img521/3238/linx2.th.jpg

Last edited:
OP
cgi86

cgi86

Tech Enthusiast
I do occasionally have these errors still, guys :) . Its not that frequent as before . But still happens time to time . I do believe something to do with motherboard failing on stress or fault with power supply . Hmmm . Got used to it . :)

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
even I'm now facing some issue with my HD6850 ( or it's drivers ? ) - so far tried with only newest stable driver though - some games will just crash to desktop with different message and once this happens there's no way I can run any games or video files - I need to restart to fix the prob but it would appear again with same games.

OP
cgi86

cgi86

Tech Enthusiast
I doubt if its really a Driver issue. My system gives the driver not responding error even
in windows 7 aero sometimes. But mostly when I play games. Suspecting heat I installed additional
120 mm fan to my chassis. Also loaded the latest graphics BIOS from tech powerup.
but error persists. But I have never faced error that u mentioned above. I am running latest
stable catalyst. Lately the frequency of error has reduced. But it does happen often
and sometimes freezes up entire system requiring hard reboot.

It's a shame though, because when it works well. the performance is mind blowing.
. The visuals in mafia ii, nfs, witcher 2 , f1 2010. really blew me away. I can live with few
Hiccups when it gives several hours of joy otherwise. Only worry is whether the gpu,
CPU or mobo is artifacting behind the scenes. :-(

OP
cgi86

cgi86

Tech Enthusiast
how so? my system was setup by the assembler. initially itself it was giving the error. after my troubleshooting from software side, I myself removed the gpu and sent for rma. after getting it replaced. , I placed it in the pci. express. slot. since updating drivers, BIOS, and windows. the error frequency has reduced but still not gone.

why do u feel its slot problem. could you explain please ?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Your previous GPU has the same issue and the replaced one is also acting as the previous one though the error frequency has reduced but it's not gone - so I'm susecting that the pci-e slot on the mobo has some issue so any gu you put on the pci-e slot is shwing same type of error - the only way to be sure about this is to check the pci-e slot using different gpu - if possible borrow a gfx card from your friend and ut it on the mobo's pci-e slot and test.

OP
cgi86

cgi86

Tech Enthusiast
Ok. Problem maybe with mainboard or psu.. none of my friends have pci express gpus. :-( . Will ask around and see. Meantime will look to keep mainboard, gpu drivers and BIOS and windows updated and monitortemps.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've solved my issue - just reinstalled windows 7 and the SP1 ( no other updates ) and the issue seems to be gone for good.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
it's not as straightforward like what I've thought before - faced the issue with Alan Wake American Nightmare today. Need more time for R&D ;-)

Neuron

Electronic.
In fact i too had a similar problem with my 9800gt when playing dx9 based and older games.My display driver crashes and never recovers and gives me a BSOD.Luckily it's solved now.Here's the list of things i tried.
1.Updated all the drivers using drivermax.
2.Updated the BIOS.I think this is the step which fixed it for me.

In your case you can do 2 additional steps too if the above 2 doesn't fix your problem.

a.Install the display driver from your card manufacturer (asus,msi or whichever).
b.Update the BIOS of the gpu.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ There's no latest bios availablee for my gpu and I'm always using the latest driver.

The issue I'm facing is really weird - it won't happen with every game but some games will just crash after 5 or 15 mins and once the CTD occurs no games and video files will play properly - they will throw different crash reports with different dll marked as the fault modules.

The apps like KMplayer, MPC will show memory address access violation error or the video file will play with cracking sound and green/purple boxes on the display or the video playing apps simply won't start - same happens with games too though playback of mp3 files will work well.

I've check HDD, Memory but found no error and this happening with a fresh windows install - actually started with 12.1 beta driver and still the issue is here with every 12.x drivers - only way to fix the issue is to restart the system but then the CTD issue will appear again with the same games.

Neuron

Electronic.
^ Hey, try installing the drivers from the manufacturer's site,not from AMD's site.And also update your mobo bios if not already.

Top Bottom