AMD APU Vs Traditional CPU+GPU combination : which should I go for?

kamal4883

Broken In
Hello folks. I am planning to built a PC. For this first I have to decide on CPU. And here I got confused when I encountered AMD APU. Which should I go for considering my following needs. :

1. Want to use a 21 inch 1080p monitor.
2. Want to watch full HD movies.
3. Want to play Diablo 3.
4. Want to edit photos in photoshop. The photos are taken at 20Mpx or lower.
5. Sometimes Want to use desktop few days long without shutting it down to prevent overhearing issue. This may be due to transferring bigger files on net as I have a very slow internet connection 512 KB/s Down and 512KB/s Up speed so for example uploading 10 Gb of videos will take a while. .

For now I have my eyes on AMD APU A10 6800k but I have never used a apu before so I am hesitating. Also I am willing to invest on traditional CPU +GPU combination. My whole budget is 45000 which May be stretched by 1-2 thousand if required. According to budget I think I can't go for processor like i7 but I think I can opt for 4th gen i3 or i5.

On the side note: I am mostly a software guy never built a PC by myself before as I always used a laptop. But first time I am very excited to build my own PC by getting help from folks on internet and tutorials.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
idle and load power consumption of a core i3 / core i5 cpu + gfx card will be almost similar and for running th pc 24 hours for a few days you better invest in a after market cpu cooler and a good cabinet with plenty of air flow ..

Coming to the performance part the gpu core of A10 6800k is capable enough to handle your gaming and movie watching needs and you can always add a gpu later if you need one.

OP
K

kamal4883

Broken In
idle and load power consumption of a core i3 / core i5 cpu + gfx card will be almost similar and for running th pc 24 hours for a few days you better invest in a after market cpu cooler and a good cabinet with plenty of air flow ..

Coming to the performance part the gpu core of A10 6800k is capable enough to handle your gaming and movie watching needs and you can always add a gpu later if you need one.

Thank you. but what about the processing power of the A10 6800k? i can see its clock speed is very high much greater than competitors plus it has four cores but it will be good enough to cater all my requirements in real life scenario? Can i also go for latest AMD Richland A8 apu?

Cilus

laborare est orare
Performance of A10-6800K is more or less similar to i3 3220, little down in single threaded applications whereas slightly up in multi threaded applications. It is okay for clearing most of your requirements. However, if you are asking my opinion then omit the APU if you are planning to use applications like Photoshop extensively and get a powerful Processor.

For a balanced configuration, you should create a thread here: PC Components / Configurations by filling up this template: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-compon...new-pc-help-answer-these-questions-first.html

OP
K

kamal4883

Broken In
Performance of A10-6800K is more or less similar to i3 3220, little down in single threaded applications whereas slightly up in multi threaded applications. It is okay for clearing most of your requirements. However, if you are asking my opinion then omit the APU if you are planning to use applications like Photoshop extensively and get a powerful Processor.

For a balanced configuration, you should create a thread here: PC Components / Configurations by filling up this template: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-compon...new-pc-help-answer-these-questions-first.html

Thank you very much for your valuable suggestion. i will post things in right forum.

TheLetterD

Will Power
Why is everyone recommending him a Richland APU? AMD A10 6800K (Richland) gives hardly any performance increase over the AMD A10 5800K(Trinity) yet is 2K more expensive. Grab the AMD A105800K, Overclock it a little if you wish to.

PS One Con of getting an APU is that the Temperature is slightly on the higher side with the stock cooler esp in Summers in India, so you MIGHT want to consider an Aftermarket cooler, a basic Coolermaster Hyper TX3 EVO Cooler would do just fine, BUT check and ask around if you can use RAM with larger heatsinks on it(Corsair Vengeance) with this particular after market cooler cuz Ive heard people face a problem with that because of a smaller gap between the RAM slots and the APU Socket.

OP
K

kamal4883

Broken In
Why is everyone recommending him a Richland APU? AMD A10 6800K (Richland) gives hardly any performance increase over the AMD A10 5800K(Trinity) yet is 2K more expensive. Grab the AMD A105800K, Overclock it a little if you wish to.......

THANK YOU SIR FOR YOUR VALUABLE RESPONSE. i will keep that in mind when finalizing my configuration, Although i have cretead a post in the PC confuguration section. Hope i will get a powerful system within my budget.

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
Why is everyone recommending him a Richland APU? AMD A10 6800K (Richland) gives hardly any performance increase over the AMD A10 5800K(Trinity) yet is 2K more expensive. Grab the AMD A105800K, Overclock it a little if you wish to.

PS One Con of getting an APU is that the Temperature is slightly on the higher side with the stock cooler esp in Summers in India, so you MIGHT want to consider an Aftermarket cooler, a basic Coolermaster Hyper TX3 EVO Cooler would do just fine, BUT check and ask around if you can use RAM with larger heatsinks on it(Corsair Vengeance) with this particular after market cooler cuz Ive heard people face a problem with that because of a smaller gap between the RAM slots and the APU Socket.

yes, Evo do have some issue with ram modules having too tall heatsinks and that's why CM released Hyper 212X.

Top Bottom