All "which distro should I choose?" queries here.

debian

Broken In
The one thing that stands out for opensuse is the installer. Its the best one i've come across. Plus SUSE is known for their superb kde implementation. Unfortunately the 12 series is still not as good as 11.4 was.

doomgiver

Warframe
many things.
bloated. too windows like. weird menu layout. way to distracting (having a jumping ball in your face is not very good manners)

i'd tried a lot to simplify it, and reduce the eye-candy, but it just would not work. finally, i had to ditch it in favor of openbox.

doomgiver

Warframe
Tiling Window Managers for the WINZZZ
agreed!!!
using awesome, and tried out xmonad and scrotwm(didnt like the config).
mousefree life!!
I've not used kde but wanted to know the use of the jumping ball

its the default "working/busy" indicator, like the hourglass in windows, except its twice as big, is really bouncy, and changes color.

distracting, useless, and unnecessary.

and there is no option to turn it off, either.

nims11

BIOS Terminator
agreed!!!
using awesome, and tried out xmonad and scrotwm(didnt like the config).
mousefree life!!

its the default "working/busy" indicator, like the hourglass in windows, except its twice as big, is really bouncy, and changes color.

distracting, useless, and unnecessary.

and there is no option to turn it off, either.

in system settings, search for launch feedback.

many things.
bloated. too windows like. weird menu layout. way to distracting (having a jumping ball in your face is not very good manners)

i'd tried a lot to simplify it, and reduce the eye-candy, but it just would not work. finally, i had to ditch it in favor of openbox.

different people different choices. KDE seems simpler to me compared to other DEs. Also, i feel more comfortable configuring it.
That was a long time ago, i too have ditched it favor of openbox. :)

many things.

:lol: You don't say.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Not really a query but a bit offtipic TBH.

I have a .ISO of Ubuntu 12.04 which I want to install as a "program inside Windows"

thing is the Wubi in the ISO doesn't have this option. so I downloaded Wubi from Ubuntu website, which has this option.

so how do I use this Wubi instead of one on the iso? as when I double click this Wubi, the installer starts downloading Ubuntu :(

Minion

Conversation Architect

I have a .ISO of Ubuntu 12.04 which I want to install as a "program inside Windows"

thing is the Wubi in the ISO doesn't have this option. so I downloaded Wubi from Ubuntu website, which has this option.

so how do I use this Wubi instead of one on the iso? as when I double click this Wubi, the installer starts downloading Ubuntu :(

You can use ubuntu in virtualbox but I prefer SUSE very good interface.:lol::wink:

nims11

BIOS Terminator

extract the iso, replace the wubi and directly run it. Wubi will automatically use the extracted content.

bharadwaj

Right off the assembly line
All of the guys who are gonna post in this thread, should take this quiz first and decide on their own...

zegenie Studios Linux Distribution Chooser

I think that's the best way to choose your own linux distro... :)

Piyush

Lanaya
All of the guys who are gonna post in this thread, should take this quiz first and decide on their own...

zegenie Studios Linux Distribution Chooser

I think that's the best way to choose your own linux distro... :)

nice..but the quiz was not too much detailed one
still good :)

Debian, Mandriva, Fedora and OpenSuSe 100% perfect for me according to the result

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
Recently installed the Linux Mint -13(64-bit) "MAYA",with MATE desktop as the default one,along with "Cinnamon" Desktop, KDE Plasma ,GNOME...desktops.

Must admit,that though Fedora-17(64-bit) already installed with updates(installed to the latest):wink: is a STABLE & SOLID distro,Mint-13... ROCKSSS:clap2:

Which DISTRO for my sister ??
>>she will be working with word(.docx) excel (.xlsx) and ppt files
>>web browsing
>>a "pdf creator" like software is needed for printing(to pdf files)
>>she has used win xp till now

ssk_the_gr8

Make Way the LORD is Here
>>web browsing

ubuntu 12.04 ... it has libre office ... it has everything you need

nims11

BIOS Terminator
>>web browsing

Linux Mint
She probably won't need to install anything separately

Top Bottom