All "which distro should I choose?" queries here.

OP
iamharish15

iamharish15

Broken In
Re: Which Linux to go for a beginner?

1) Bluetooth and Wireless LAN should work out-of-the-box.
2) Which graphic card do you have?
3) You won't be installing your Windows "drivers" in Linux. This is a completely different Operating System ffs.
Thanks for your advice, I found an option there to find the drivers for my bluetooth and wireless LAN.
And It automatically detected my graphics card when I tried to adjust the visual setting to higher visuals and it provided me with an option to avtivate the drivers for my graphics card.
I have nVIDIA GeForce 310M 512 MB graphic card.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Re: Which Linux to go for a beginner?

Merging it with *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/open-source/141067-distro-should-i-choose.html

The generalized Sticky Thread.

babatu

Broken In
Which linux to be installed in this config

My rig has the following config

AMD Sempron 1.8GHz
Ram 512mb
HDD 160+20GB
Moreover I have an nVIDIA 128mb graphics card.

I want to install a linux in my computer. Please suggest which to use?

Which one is better fedora or ubuntu?

Liverpool_fan

Sami Hyypiä, LFC legend
seems not many are fedora fans here :-B

Can I say one thing - FONTS.
Yes FONTS. Fedora 15 has totally messed up fonts. No matter how I try it, it's nowhere near Ubuntu's levels. And don't think I've not tried enough. :|
Fedora 14's fonts were okay, not Ubuntu's levels but still pretty good. I wonder what did they do with the fonts in this newest release.

sygeek

Technomancer
I strongly Recommend people who are just new to linux should try PinGuy. Some may feel it bloated but it is a great alternative if you didn't like Ubuntu's Unity UI (or Ubuntu at all)..

hellknight

BSD init pwns System V
According to my personal experience, there are three types of GNU/Linux distributions or levels :-

Beginner :- Linux Mint (this due to all codecs & drivers), Ubuntu
Intermediate :- Fedora, OpenSuse, Mandriva (after 6-12 months of experience with Beginner distros)
Advanced :- Arch Linux & then the ultimate, Gentoo Linux (they are rolling releases i.e you don't have to wait every 6-8 months for new releases. They update whenever they want and whatever they want. You can customize them to extreme level) Try these, once you master the command line & you don't need a graphical package management tool to install/remove packages. Moreover they're BSD init based not System V based but that is completely different topic.

Lastly, when you are quite familiar with GNU/Linux i.e. mastered most of the commands, will boot Windows only for gaming :D, don't see any valid reason to boot Windows or Mac :D, then you can move on to

Debian :- The true FOSS distro
CentOS :- Best damn distro available for servers. Pure Red Hat packages except the artwork. It is 99.99% RHEL.

You can use the above mentioned distros (Debian & CentOS) for deploying any kind of server. They're very good desktop distros too. Moreover, Debian has legendary stability.

Offtopic :-

If you really like trying out operating systems, then please look at :-

FreeBSD :- The unknown giant. Is used by Yahoo servers. Once powered Hotmail servers. Currently FreeBSD 6 or 7 is used to power SBI site & online banking site. Supports GNOME & KDE. Has both 32-bit & 64-bit packages. Is available for variety of platforms. Try this once you get familiar with UNIX environment.

PC-BSD :- Almost the same, but has very easy installer. Currently supports only KDE but ver. 9.0 will add GNOME support as well.

They can only be installed on primary partition though.

For users who want to try Fedora 15, please keep in mind the following facts :-

1. It WILL ruin your installation if you install propreitary ATI drivers on the system. ATI has the poorest support for not only Fedora but everything else. It is only stable on Ubuntu based distros. The open source drivers work fine but don't provide good hardware acceleration.
2. Never, ever choose use free space while installing Fedora. There's nothing wrong with it, but it makes LVM partitions which users aren't familiar with.
3. Make sure you read the articles posted at FedoraForum.org for your queries before installing it.

The thing that you'll love about Fedora, its update system. Yum has a plugin called Yum-presto which reduces the update size upto 90% in some cases.

Last edited:
Reactions: ico
OP
iamharish15

iamharish15

Broken In
How to boot Linux Mint 9 alongside Windows 7

I want someone to give me detailed description of "How to boot Linux Mint 9 alongside Windows 7".
The problem I am having is that when I booted Linux mint first, it makes 3 primary partitions and thereafter when I tried to boot win7, it required to make another 2 primary partitions but it showed an error that only four primary partitions can be made.
So then I removed linux mint and booted Win7 first(it created 2 primary partitions,1 for windows and 1 system reserved) and after that when I booted with linux mint, I was unable to create the required 3 primary partitions.
I somehow once Installed the both, and at the startup a green graphical interface appears to choose which OS to load, but I want the non-graphical black screen interface like windows for choosing which OS to load.
So please give me the detailed description about that.
I have a 320GB HDD.
I want to install both the OS at different partitions and atleast two more partitions for storing my data.

sygeek

Technomancer
Installing Linux Mint 9 64bit Dual Boot with Windows 7 Tutorial // Current
Remove Linux Mint and wipe out the entire hard disk. Install Windows 7 on the PRIMARY partiton and Linux mint on the EXTENDED partition. Use Linux Mint Installer's Partition Manager to do this. Try some partition guides before you lean on to this Dual-Boot stuff.
How To Dual Boot

Last edited:
OP
iamharish15

iamharish15

Broken In
Installing Linux Mint 9 64bit Dual Boot with Windows 7 Tutorial // Current
Remove Linux Mint and wipe out the entire hard disk. Install Windows 7 on the PRIMARY partiton and Linux mint on the EXTENDED partition. Use Linux Mint Installer's Partition Manager to do this. Try some partition guides before you lean on to this Dual-Boot stuff.
How To Dual Boot
The problem I'm having is that I have all my important data on a 150GB partition and I want to avoid formatting the whole disk. And there is a 1GB of partition that I am unable to use that previously contained some lenovo files but I deleted that partition so that I could merge it with all other partitions but it couldn't be merged with the free space.
And I also want to know that on which partition should I install the Linux mint loader? so that at the start up I want a non-graphical black interface showing all the OS installed.

How To Dual Boot
I hope the EasyBCD app provided in the link will do the same for Linux Mint 9 too, '
I haven't tried it yet due to exams, but will try it and share whether it works or not.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Including / and /swap, 8-10GB would be fine.

Though it'll be covered within 4GB, but still I recommend around 10GB if you want to use it daily basis, as updates, diff apps, /home will also get included.

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
If you are first time linux user then I recommend Ubuntu or Linux Mint.

It's not hard, but if you are moving from windows for first time, it may seem odd for you for few days. But after that everything will be alright.

Top Bottom