All webhosting and domain related queries here.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
Backing up: DO NOT go for Leaseweb. Too much unreliability. When downtime occurs we pray no data outage happens. Since one time it happened, we lost months of data including my website's articles. Had to restore from Google Cache.

On the bright side, now we have learnt to take regular backups. :p

aaruni

The Linux Guy
Backing up: DO NOT go for Leaseweb. Too much unreliability. When downtime occurs we pray no data outage happens. Since one time it happened, we lost months of data including my website's articles. Had to restore from Google Cache.

On the bright side, now we have learnt to take regular backups. :p

you call those months of data? We lost years of data! #Logs!!!

DDIF

Custom User Title
@ALL your requirements and your comments have me confused, are you talking about a VPS or Shared Hosting?
If shared hosting then go for godaddy, they are very cheap (add coupons also) and mostly you will get a Shared server in AP reigon, so good latency and speed.
GoDaddy is also a good choice for VPS(u get 3 free IPs), but check linode.com as a cloud VPS.
*www.linode.com/pricing
*www.linode.com/linodes
They are the best, of course I speak from personal experience as I have more than four accounts out there.

furious_gamer

Excessive happiness
My requirements are very simple. I need to host one web-app which doesn't have huge user base(hardly 1k hits per day), so shared hosting is more than enough. Please suggest some good ones.

criztle

Advocate | Lawyer
hi guys,
I would be glad if you could help me

There is this website suppose " xyz.com" which my friend own and my friend used the hosting on bluehost.

his bluehost hosting expired on 3rd he took a back up of the website on 2nd.

he had installed wordpress on the hosting(which expired)

Now he bought VPS hosting and domain remains same.

he installed Webmin.

we changed DNS settings

how to restore the backup of cpanel to a webmin?
can it be done?

and how to use wordpress on webmin?
Can you guys help?

Last edited:
hi guys,
I would be glad if you could help me

There is this website suppose " xyz.com" which my friend own and my friend used the hosting on bluehost.

his bluehost hosting expired on 3rd he took a back up of the website on 2nd.

he had installed wordpress on the hosting(which expired)

Now he bought VPS hosting and domain remains same.

he installed Webmin.

we changed DNS settings

how to restore the backup of cpanel to a webmin?
can it be done?

and how to use wordpress on webmin?
Can you guys help?

In which format is backup ? Most probably it would be in .tar.gz.zip or some thing like that. Unzip that using 7-zip or any other utility and locate your site data would be /home/username directory. Transfer the files to the Web directory of your domain. And your are done.

Cyrus_the_virus

Unmountable Boot Volume
I just wanted to say thank you guys for all the recommendation given for outpowerhosting.com

Also, just wanted to clarify something I saw a few pages back. Our Shared plans are meant for simple/moderate use blogs/websites/forums. If you do require to run heavy scripts or application that is not generally suitable in the shared environment, please contact us separately for that. We can have you set up on an environment that is suitable for your needs and budget.

The way we keep all our customers happy is by making sure that 1 or 2 accounts don't end up using all the available resources and make everyone else unhappy with their site performance. This is why some accounts are suspended when they end up crippling other user's experience. We constantly monitor accounts and if we see any account is gradually using up more and more resources on a daily basis, then we inform them prior saying hey "we see this and this usage going on with your account, try to cut back on somethings etc.. etc". I am pretty sure some users here can vouch for that sort of communication they have received in advance. However, in rare cases we have had accounts which out of the blue because of something they are running on the account basically jams up all the resources on the server and everyone else has a frown on their face. It is only in this case that a suspension is done without notice because I think we can agree that it is only common sense to do so to prevent your server from crashing because the account using up the resources have no control over their usage creating a problem for everyone else. We hate it when we have to do these no notice suspensions because it becomes a sour point for the user being suspended but then we expect all users to have their accounts behave responsibly on a shared server. Think of it like one person trying to occupy all seats on a shared public bus by putting some item of theirs on all the seats and not letting anyone sit. I don't think I need to tell you how that is going to end :-D

Having said all of the above, we are here to help. If you have any concerns, talk to us. We are listening. One main reason outpowerhosting is surviving in the face of multi-million dollar companies all these years is because of our customer support. So, the least we could ask of you is to tell us what is troubling you. We'll do our best to see you turnaround with a smile.:)

Here are the full links:

Role of Web Hosting to your Website | Hosting Fever

What is the difference between Shared, VPS and Dedicated Hosting? | Hosting Fever

braindead

Bankaiiiii
Which site do you guys recommend for buying a domain name?
also a good web hosting.

mine is a simple site with around 100 visitors per day.

Shah

Cyborg Agent
Which site do you guys recommend for buying a domain name?
also a good web hosting.

mine is a simple site with around 100 visitors per day.

I personally prefer BigRock and GoDaddy. Both, have pretty good customer support.

Shah

Cyborg Agent
how good is hostgator compare to which you mention

I haven't used hostagator. So can't comment on their service. But, the prices seem to be the more or less same on all 3.
Other than BigRock and GoDaddy, I have used a few Indian based hosting like eWebGuru but their uptime and support was too poor.

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure If I am allowed to post it here. Anyway, If anyone wants to buy a domain/hosting from BigRock, Let me know. I have coupon codes which will give you 20% discount on hosting and 10% discount on domains.

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
am new to this ... wanna make a website ... confused abt reading all post here ... cant 1 company sell domain & host it to, y so diff ???

One company do sell domain as well as hosting, and usually those have great deals. But as a user it's us who wants great deal in pricing, features and flexibility.

You may want to buy a domain from somewhere who provides you best price for it, and you may want to buy a hosting from somewhere that suits your requirements. For eg, if you only want one domain to be hosted and nothing else, then usually its best to buy the package deal (domain + host) from a single entity, while if you want a good VPS (which can host multiple domains) you may want to buy the host from somewhere which provides you best deal and features.

Also, the speed by which your site opens is directly dependent on where your website is host (your website files are located), so suppose if I host my site on a server in US, the ping rates would be damn high, since US would be very far from us. So I would of course want to choose a host which provides me best pings.

Top Bottom