** All USB EVDO/HSDPA (3.5G) data cards or modems queries here **

esveepee

Right off the assembly line
I have been trying to configure Micromax Router MMX 440W to set up a WiFi Hotspot for Airtel 3G dongle without success. I notice that the dongle uses Huawei Model E 3531s-1. Can someone help. Thanks very much.

TechnoBOY

Padawan
Not sure if my question applies to this thread, but:

I have two modems, one is a DLink one connected to the BSNL line, which I use for the laptop, the other is an Onnet one which has a Tata Photon dongle connected to it, and I use it for my mobile and IPad. This one:

Onnet Technology India - Always On Network | Products | Curro - 3G & Broadband 11n Router

I have a 1 GB plan for the Tata Photon one, and its validity is 1 month, but this time when I recharged it, the 1 GB got used in four days flat. I registered on the Tata Photon site and saw that on one day it is showing a usage of 300 MB, and on another, 600 MB, even though I hardly used it at all.

I suspect the Onnet Wifi connection has been hacked. I've read on the net that it is possible to hack the Wifi password; has anyone on this forum ever done this? :D I've set a long Wifi password, and I've also changed the 192.168.1.1 modem page password instead of admin : admin.

What I want to do is to connect only my mobile and IPad to the Onnet modem. I've read that you can set the MAC Address on the modem and then the modem will only connect to that particular device, so that even if someone gets hold of my Wifi password, it will be useless. Am I correct in thinking this can be done? I've earlier tried doing this to the DLink modem through my laptop, and everything got messed up and I had to reset and reconfigure the modem.

Thanks.
Yes,if you only connect mobile and IPad then only allow access to selective MAC addresses as [MENTION=26711]ico[/MENTION] said

shaxzey

I have a adsl modem (wireless) , a laptop and a 3g enabled dongle.... How can use the to create a wireless internet hotspot in my home ????

n8hawkx

Hello guys,

I am looking for a 3G datacard with wifi capabilities. I have a price limit of 2k which can be extended till 3k. After a quick search I have found some models from D-link and Huawei.

Dlink DWR 710
Huawei powerfi E8221
Huawei E5220

I am slightly moved towards Powerfi as I have used it on one or two occasions and it performs well.

Can someone who knows about datacards provide an opinion?

pkkumarcool

Game & anime Lover
Hello guys,

I am looking for a 3G datacard with wifi capabilities. I have a price limit of 2k which can be extended till 3k. After a quick search I have found some models from D-link and Huawei.

Dlink DWR 710
Huawei powerfi E8221
Huawei E5220

I am slightly moved towards Powerfi as I have used it on one or two occasions and it performs well.

Can someone who knows about datacards provide an opinion?
always go for huwaei get e8221 or e5220 depending on what features you want, e5220 can be used without laptop to provide hotspot

setanjan123

In the zone
Suddenly stumbled upon this thread. I was just curious. Is the only option for wireless broadband these days 4g dongles? I remember there being stuff like Tata Photon + which while being more expensive than wired broadband was cheaper than mobile 3g plans iirc.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Suddenly stumbled upon this thread. I was just curious. Is the only option for wireless broadband these days 4g dongles? I remember there being stuff like Tata Photon + which while being more expensive than wired broadband was cheaper than mobile 3g plans iirc.
Kind of, there used to be service providers like Tikona but they either retired or acquired by others(Tikona was acquired by Airtel). Nowadays wireless broadband mostly means a small & powerful wifi antenna on household roof getting reception from a base wifi station located nearby. Btw that Tata Photon+ was EVDO(a faster version of 3g but much cheaper than it at the time because of less popularity & less coverage area).

Top Bottom