** All USB EVDO/HSDPA (3.5G) data cards or modems queries here **

MatchBoxx

the m0nk who sold his PC!
Moderator edit:
I've created a general thread for Datacard queries.

Instead of using the word 3G, it is better to use UMTS/HSDPA for GSM and EVDO for CDMA.

3G is a generic term which comprises of 3rd generation technologies. Better to be specific.
--

Hi, i need to purchase a USB DataCard to use on my laptop. I am unable to decide, which service provider to choose.
Locally, the stores are suggesting TATA PHOTON+
i live in Kolkata, so hoping if anyone can suggest a good brand, which can provide decent (read: excellent) downlink speed...
I also saw a MICROMAX universal 2G/3G USB stick (approx Rs. 2400 price) on display, in which i can insert any GSM simcard and use internet on-the-go...
Please advice guys (or girls) ! >:p

Last edited by a moderator:

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member
Re: USB DataCard advice!

I'm using Tata Photon+ and not satisfied. I hardly get 256kbps, and when I called them, the girl on the phone said "Sir, it's upto 3.1mbps,", I said, "I know that, but does that ever reaches?? I went many places but never get that speed". She says "Sir, it clearly says 3.1mbps, so if you are getting 256kbps then the dongle is working fine and we can't take any complaint".

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member

But one thing for sure, Reliance Netconnect, etc others are just nothing. Tata Photon+ works atleast, others dont.

OP
MatchBoxx

MatchBoxx

Why are you guys behaving so diplomatically? Please advice me, what to do!

Should i go for TATA Photon+ or a universal USB 2G/3G Modem? I have Airtel, Vodafone, TATA DoCoMo, Reliance and Aircel GSM simcards....

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member

Well, in that case I'd also suggest UMG1831, hope you'll be using 3G, and aware of the 3G Tariffs.

But if you can't afford 3G Tariff and won't be using 3G then there is no reason to buy this. You can also use 2G on this, but then again speeds will be too slow.

So if you are looking for 3G portability go for it otherwise go for Photon+

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member

Yup, a 2G sim card with 2G plan activated will give only 2G speeds(if there is no network violations) :p

No advantage, but Tata Photon+ is a broadband service. So @OP will get atleast better speed than 2G.

tkin

Back to school!!

My cousin uses reliance netconnect and it sucks after 2-3 months, they slow it down.

saswat23

Human Spambot

TATA Photon also sucks. My bro has it, and the speeds at max go to 15Kbps where as my Friends who are using Data Cards with BSNL, Vodafone, DOCOMO sims get speeds upto 30Kbps..

krishnandu.sarkar

Simply a DIGITian
Staff member

That's what I said avobe. Tata Photon sucks, but works better if you compare it with others like BSNL EVDO and Reliance Netconnect.

Now on EDGE, there is no guarantee of getting good speeds.

Ishu Gupta

Manchester United

IMO UMG1831 with Vodafone 2G (Some people are getting 3G speeds on 2G) or BSNL 3G is the way to go.

OP
MatchBoxx

MatchBoxx

Well, in that case I'd also suggest UMG1831, hope you'll be using 3G, and aware of the 3G Tariffs.

But if you can't afford 3G Tariff and won't be using 3G then there is no reason to buy this. You can also use 2G on this, but then again speeds will be too slow.

please provide me a link for that module.....i mean ebay, itware, or any other retailer......can it be obtained locally? i live in Garia

IMO UMG1831 with Vodafone 2G (Some people are getting 3G speeds on 2G) or BSNL 3G is the way to go.

i just hate BSNL!! :mad:

Skud

Super Moderator
Staff member

I am using BSNL EVDO for the past 3 years, speeds vary wildly, but at least it works compared to Reliance, Tata, Airtel etc. And its unlimited. I have downloaded almost 2TB since start with this so that would probably give you some insight. These days I generally get a connection speed around 1 Mbps, so no complaints.

Top Bottom