All laptop related queries here!!!

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Processor is 3 year old. Acer is conning people now. They should've just used that screen on any recent 4600H laptop instead.

IMHO.......I strongly believe Intel has something to do with Laptop Manufacturer (Secret Tie Up / Bussiness Deal) - No matter what Any Laptop Manufacture never puts up a decent screen in the AMD 4000 Series laptop except ASUS Zephyrus Series because that is a brand new lineup where the said company involved to make its own image build.....Hense the Only exception.

kg11sgbg

Indian Railways - The Vibrant and Moving INDIA
IMHO.......I strongly believe Intel has something to do with Laptop Manufacturer (Secret Tie Up / Bussiness Deal) - No matter what Any Laptop Manufacture never puts up a decent screen in the AMD 4000 Series laptop except ASUS Zephyrus Series because that is a brand new lineup where the said company involved to make its own image build.....Hense the Only exception.
Yeah,you nailed it!
Ancient practice(malparactice!!!) of Intel. Just recall,what they did to VIA some years ago.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Isn't VIAO Shutdown and Sold off by Sony?

*www.flipkart.com/vaio-laptops-stor...annerAdCard.BANNERADS_VAIO+After_IKOTULLCP0TY

No 4000 series of AMD.....

*www.flipkart.com/search?sid=6bo,b5...banner.BANNER_vaio-laptops-store_TJ2GVYS4HXZQ

Isn't VIAO Shutdown and Sold off by Sony?

*www.flipkart.com/vaio-laptops-stor...annerAdCard.BANNERADS_VAIO+After_IKOTULLCP0TY

No 4000 series of AMD.....

*www.flipkart.com/search?sid=6bo,b5...banner.BANNER_vaio-laptops-store_TJ2GVYS4HXZQ
Sony sold Vaio division to someone & now Flipkart licensed the name from whoever has it & brought the laptops. The laptops are overpriced, better stick to traditional manufaturers.

aby geek

Cyborg Agent
Guys, will we too get all the laptops nvidia talked about launching on jan 26? If not then when should I expect them in india?
Also gigabyte had replied to my email on 7th of December saying their laptops will launch around jan-feb. Can anyone dig out what they might be bringing and when?

Guys, will we too get all the laptops nvidia talked about launching on jan 26? If not then when should I expect them in india?
Also gigabyte had replied to my email on 7th of December saying their laptops will launch around jan-feb. Can anyone dig out what they might be bringing and when?
Maybe March

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Hello, Forum Members and Experts,

Please help me to find out which M.2 SSD is compatible with this Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 (type 20T6, 20T7) Laptop (ThinkPad) - Type 20T6

Below like shows 12 Substitutes Model - It is in the Page 12.

*pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/product...-type-20t6-20t7/20t6/parts/display/compatible

My question is - Which 1TB model available in India ? (Amazon / FK).

For your convenience, I'm attaching the Screenshot of the list below.

*i.imgur.com/qt9m4bs.png

*i.imgur.com/DzZhgJA.png

Get any M.2 2280 NVMe Gen3/PCIe 3.0 SSD.

Just get WD SN550 or Kingston A2000, good value SSDs. Get whichever among them is cheaper, if the same price, prefer A2000.

dissel

Cyborg Agent

Just get WD SN550 or Kingston A2000, good value SSDs. Get whichever among them is cheaper, if the same price, prefer A2000.

Hi, Thanks for the reply,

But hey, Not So fast.....

Already bought the WD SN550 1 TB and since then for last 5 days, sleepless night begin.

Turned out that model is not compatible with the think pad hardware,
- Windows 10 can't able to format it as blank drive,
- Windows 10 not able to install on that,
- Ubuntu 20.04.1 can be installed on that drive with 'Ext4' file system but throws up lots of Error and reboot.

- At first, the common guess was the drive was a dud so need to buy an m.2 nvme enclosure to check and replacement / return and turns out the drive was fine, Windows can detect the drive and able to format, even that E14 can do that on USB side,
- Then the obvious the laptop port i,e motherboard must be bad, Gone the Joy of buying this new VFM machine - until today when I start searching Lenovo Forum and found this.

*i.imgur.com/dyRlOav.png

So far I know if about m.2 drives
- Check the Size if it is compatible
- Check the notch position (Gone through Hardware maintenance manual Long time ago)
- Check the port if it is capable about handling m.2 or not.

Didn't know that there must be firmware compatibility issue crop up - Now this is news to me,

Anyhow total wastage of money nearly 11k = 8.7k is the SN550 + 2.9k is Orico Enclosure.

Below is the Error

Not possible to load Windows 10

*i.imgur.com/fVxcDfV.jpg

Drive only shows up only when Linux is Installed

*i.imgur.com/Ma3dbcO.png

Device Manager shows it always - but not under 'Disk Management'

*i.imgur.com/loILLon.png

Diskpart is also throwing error

*i.imgur.com/Vz6HbwY.png

And this is the main Error

*i.imgur.com/tN8Jj1t.png

Back of the laptop - After RAM and SSD added...soon to become sleepless days and night.

*i.imgur.com/dSWLZtP.jpg

*i.imgur.com/aSJBbRa.jpg

Last edited:
Damn, if that really happens, then its Lenovo's fault IMO. M.2 standards are supposed to be universal, for a reason. But do remember that companies do try to push overpriced parts from them, like Dell was trying to sell me a top class 256GB NVMe for $150, I bought a relatively slower 1TB NVMe for $100 from amazon.

I'd suggest asking amazon for replacement of SSD first. Try that & see what happens. If the same issue, try to get a refund from them after replacement. Amazon doesn't allow refund directly these days. You don't tell them your findings as in a way you are right because you bought right form factor & type of SSD.

Try updating SSD firmware & maybe laptop's BIOS, see if it helps.

Also, check if your 2nd M.2 slot is working by putting your 1st SSD in 2nd slot temporarily.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Already bought the WD SN550 1 TB and since then for last 5 days, sleepless night begin.

Turned out that model is not compatible with the think pad hardware,
:facepalm: Just when you thought laptop manufacturers can't get more ridiculous after starting launching models with two 4gb soldered ram sticks & crippled ryzen laptop models.
@SaiyanGoku

As mentioned by @omega44-xt try to get refund from amazon, as far as I know if a product fails to work after replacement too then you are qualified for a refund. Amazon neither care nor need to know about tech details like firmware incompatibility, just tell them your laptop model has m2 nvme slot & the nvme ssd you bought is not working.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Damn, if that really happens, then its Lenovo's fault IMO. M.2 standards are supposed to be universal, for a reason. But do remember that companies do try to push overpriced parts from them, like Dell was trying to sell me a top class 256GB NVMe for $150, I bought a relatively slower 1TB NVMe for $100 from amazon.

I'd suggest asking amazon for replacement of SSD first. Try that & see what happens. If the same issue, try to get a refund from them after replacement. Amazon doesn't allow refund directly these days. You don't tell them your findings as in a way you are right because you bought right form factor & type of SSD.

Try updating SSD firmware & maybe laptop's BIOS, see if it helps.

Also, check if your 2nd M.2 slot is working by putting your 1st SSD in 2nd slot temporarily.

Thanks for the reply,
Lots of customers are clueless with Lenovo ThinkPad Models + SN550 combo - Can be seen in the Lenovo community forum, I think this sabotage is only for AMD version of ThinkPad Models....Though not 100% sure though. If this is true then this is further deprived prospective customer not to pick up AMD Models.

Bios of the Laptop updated by the pre-installed 'Lenovo Vantage Software' along with Track Pad Firmware Out of the Box, I also tried with Device Driver Update for SSD when I clueless and what to do and there is something with 'WD SSD' pop up under Windows Update and it updated without any issue.

Anyhow the question is - Where to update the SSD Firmware ?

This full size m.2 not possible to install in the first slot (NVME 0) because that one only takes smaller size drive. Second slot (NVME 1) is full size port....

Due to speaker assembly, it is smaller. Speakers are excellent under Windows 10, Loud for such a small device.
*i.imgur.com/el4nPdI.png

SN550 installed on the Second Slot.
*i.imgur.com/gsBk5fk.png

:facepalm: Just when you thought laptop manufacturers can't get more ridiculous after starting launching models with two 4gb soldered ram sticks & crippled ryzen laptop models.
@SaiyanGoku

As mentioned by @omega44-xt try to get refund from amazon, as far as I know if a product fails to work after replacement too then you are qualified for a refund. Amazon neither care nor need to know about tech details like firmware incompatibility, just tell them your laptop model has m2 nvme slot & the nvme ssd you bought is not working.

Yes, 4GB Ram, The lowest quality screen, Fixed Ram etc etc are pure sabotage to cripple sale of the AMD (directed by the Intel <--- My strong belief), But looks like AMD now increase their 5000 series processor price and soon it will take the place of Intel this year.

As both of you suggested after reading your post, I opt for replacement - Lets see, whats happen... Not much optimistic here as Amazon defence SSD is alright without any fault and it is true, Only customer side hardware is not working which is bought from the same seller though, But due to customer lack of knowledge (which is only available to Lenovo Employee, ThinkPad Department) why I (Appario) carry the Loss?

One outcome of this that the laptop Motherboard is alright.
This Laptop is most VFM out there and immediately go OOS once listed during the deal period. Amazing purchase/grab @ 47,990/-. but no joy with 8.7k loss.

@dissel I know your 1st slot (slot 0?) can't take a 2280 type M.2 SSD. I'm saying to use the default SSD on the second slot to check if its an issue of the slot (slot 1?).

To update SSD firmware, usually the SSD provider provides a software:
WD Software

Play dumb with amazon CC, your laptop has an NVMe slot & you bought an NVMe SSD. Provide them with minimal info, like SSD is showing up but not working, can't install OS the new SSD, etc.

Last edited:

dissel

Cyborg Agent
@dissel I know your 1st slot (slot 0?) can't take a 2280 type M.2 SSD. I'm saying to use the default SSD on the second slot to check if its an issue of the slot (slot 1?).

Thanks for the reply,
Even this again not possible, Both drives and both ports have a tendency to elevate the drive at 35 to 45-degree angle once it properly slotted until it screws tightened into the provided space. This is when the laptop laid upside down, and the Second slot didn't provide any screw cutout in the middle position.

To update SSD firmware, usually the SSD provider provides a software:
WD Software

Thanks for this link.

Play dumb with amazon CC, your laptop has an NVMe slot & you bought an NVMe SSD. Provide them with minimal info, like SSD is showing up but not working, can't install OS the new SSD, etc.

OMG.....I was expecting some phone calls, I was preparing some points on what to tell / verification points etc, but to my surprise, the replacement drive is on-the-way, post 12:30 PM I guess just before my previous post I clicked the Replacement / Refund button and choose the appropriate option and write 2 lines and now it is 'On the Way' without any question asked.

*i.imgur.com/BdL2mqi.png

But I don't want to open the package, I mean if needed I will open the package but don't want the break the seal if it Really Handover to me, I'm sure this WD is not going to hold hand with ThinkPad E Series - Below is the proof.

Link 1

Don't want to misuse Amazon Resources and Make it a second-hand drive

My question; After this May I have an option to apply for Refund ?

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
But I don't want to open the package, I mean if needed I will open the package but don't want the break the seal if it Really Handover to me, I'm sure this WD is not going to hold hand with ThinkPad E Series - Below is the proof.

Link 1

Don't want to misuse Amazon Resources and Make it a second-hand drive

My question; After this May I have an option to apply for Refund ?
You will have to open the package & then raise refund request next day saying this drive also not working with your laptop(attach screenshot of partition error page within windows 10 while showing your laptop is running fine). Amazon will most likely return this drive to WD which will then check it to see if there is some hardware defect & when finding none it will either package the drive to be sold as refurbished in other country market or simply sell it as oem drive to some other manufacturer somewhere.

Top Bottom