All laptop related queries here!!!

Damn, if that really happens, then its Lenovo's fault IMO. M.2 standards are supposed to be universal, for a reason. But do remember that companies do try to push overpriced parts from them, like Dell was trying to sell me a top class 256GB NVMe for $150, I bought a relatively slower 1TB NVMe for $100 from amazon.

I'd suggest asking amazon for replacement of SSD first. Try that & see what happens. If the same issue, try to get a refund from them after replacement. Amazon doesn't allow refund directly these days. You don't tell them your findings as in a way you are right because you bought right form factor & type of SSD.

Try updating SSD firmware & maybe laptop's BIOS, see if it helps.

Also, check if your 2nd M.2 slot is working by putting your 1st SSD in 2nd slot temporarily.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Already bought the WD SN550 1 TB and since then for last 5 days, sleepless night begin.

Turned out that model is not compatible with the think pad hardware,
:facepalm: Just when you thought laptop manufacturers can't get more ridiculous after starting launching models with two 4gb soldered ram sticks & crippled ryzen laptop models.
@SaiyanGoku

As mentioned by @omega44-xt try to get refund from amazon, as far as I know if a product fails to work after replacement too then you are qualified for a refund. Amazon neither care nor need to know about tech details like firmware incompatibility, just tell them your laptop model has m2 nvme slot & the nvme ssd you bought is not working.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
Damn, if that really happens, then its Lenovo's fault IMO. M.2 standards are supposed to be universal, for a reason. But do remember that companies do try to push overpriced parts from them, like Dell was trying to sell me a top class 256GB NVMe for $150, I bought a relatively slower 1TB NVMe for $100 from amazon.

I'd suggest asking amazon for replacement of SSD first. Try that & see what happens. If the same issue, try to get a refund from them after replacement. Amazon doesn't allow refund directly these days. You don't tell them your findings as in a way you are right because you bought right form factor & type of SSD.

Try updating SSD firmware & maybe laptop's BIOS, see if it helps.

Also, check if your 2nd M.2 slot is working by putting your 1st SSD in 2nd slot temporarily.

Thanks for the reply,
Lots of customers are clueless with Lenovo ThinkPad Models + SN550 combo - Can be seen in the Lenovo community forum, I think this sabotage is only for AMD version of ThinkPad Models....Though not 100% sure though. If this is true then this is further deprived prospective customer not to pick up AMD Models.

Bios of the Laptop updated by the pre-installed 'Lenovo Vantage Software' along with Track Pad Firmware Out of the Box, I also tried with Device Driver Update for SSD when I clueless and what to do and there is something with 'WD SSD' pop up under Windows Update and it updated without any issue.

Anyhow the question is - Where to update the SSD Firmware ?

This full size m.2 not possible to install in the first slot (NVME 0) because that one only takes smaller size drive. Second slot (NVME 1) is full size port....

Due to speaker assembly, it is smaller. Speakers are excellent under Windows 10, Loud for such a small device.
el4nPdI.png

SN550 installed on the Second Slot.
gsBk5fk.png

:facepalm: Just when you thought laptop manufacturers can't get more ridiculous after starting launching models with two 4gb soldered ram sticks & crippled ryzen laptop models.
@SaiyanGoku

As mentioned by @omega44-xt try to get refund from amazon, as far as I know if a product fails to work after replacement too then you are qualified for a refund. Amazon neither care nor need to know about tech details like firmware incompatibility, just tell them your laptop model has m2 nvme slot & the nvme ssd you bought is not working.

Yes, 4GB Ram, The lowest quality screen, Fixed Ram etc etc are pure sabotage to cripple sale of the AMD (directed by the Intel <--- My strong belief), But looks like AMD now increase their 5000 series processor price and soon it will take the place of Intel this year.

As both of you suggested after reading your post, I opt for replacement - Lets see, whats happen... Not much optimistic here as Amazon defence SSD is alright without any fault and it is true, Only customer side hardware is not working which is bought from the same seller though, But due to customer lack of knowledge (which is only available to Lenovo Employee, ThinkPad Department) why I (Appario) carry the Loss?

One outcome of this that the laptop Motherboard is alright.
This Laptop is most VFM out there and immediately go OOS once listed during the deal period. Amazing purchase/grab @ 47,990/-. but no joy with 8.7k loss.

@dissel I know your 1st slot (slot 0?) can't take a 2280 type M.2 SSD. I'm saying to use the default SSD on the second slot to check if its an issue of the slot (slot 1?).

To update SSD firmware, usually the SSD provider provides a software:
WD Software

Play dumb with amazon CC, your laptop has an NVMe slot & you bought an NVMe SSD. Provide them with minimal info, like SSD is showing up but not working, can't install OS the new SSD, etc.

Last edited:

dissel

Cyborg Agent
@dissel I know your 1st slot (slot 0?) can't take a 2280 type M.2 SSD. I'm saying to use the default SSD on the second slot to check if its an issue of the slot (slot 1?).

Thanks for the reply,
Even this again not possible, Both drives and both ports have a tendency to elevate the drive at 35 to 45-degree angle once it properly slotted until it screws tightened into the provided space. This is when the laptop laid upside down, and the Second slot didn't provide any screw cutout in the middle position.

WD Software

Thanks for this link.

Play dumb with amazon CC, your laptop has an NVMe slot & you bought an NVMe SSD. Provide them with minimal info, like SSD is showing up but not working, can't install OS the new SSD, etc.

OMG.....I was expecting some phone calls, I was preparing some points on what to tell / verification points etc, but to my surprise, the replacement drive is on-the-way, post 12:30 PM I guess just before my previous post I clicked the Replacement / Refund button and choose the appropriate option and write 2 lines and now it is 'On the Way' without any question asked.

BdL2mqi.png

But I don't want to open the package, I mean if needed I will open the package but don't want the break the seal if it Really Handover to me, I'm sure this WD is not going to hold hand with ThinkPad E Series - Below is the proof.

Link 1

Don't want to misuse Amazon Resources and Make it a second-hand drive

My question; After this May I have an option to apply for Refund ?

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
But I don't want to open the package, I mean if needed I will open the package but don't want the break the seal if it Really Handover to me, I'm sure this WD is not going to hold hand with ThinkPad E Series - Below is the proof.

Link 1

Don't want to misuse Amazon Resources and Make it a second-hand drive

My question; After this May I have an option to apply for Refund ?
You will have to open the package & then raise refund request next day saying this drive also not working with your laptop(attach screenshot of partition error page within windows 10 while showing your laptop is running fine). Amazon will most likely return this drive to WD which will then check it to see if there is some hardware defect & when finding none it will either package the drive to be sold as refurbished in other country market or simply sell it as oem drive to some other manufacturer somewhere.

dissel

Cyborg Agent
WD Software

Done this test today as I packed the drive but can't let go the thought if it can solve the problem, but.... No this software can't even able to see the drive. Below is the proof.....But indeed this is a very useful one for WD SSDs.

64VPgDa.png

Picture of the Disk Management - MBR or GPT result is the same.

ic2Ws37.png

And this the outcome

M7Mlthx.png

But BIOS can see both drives

CKacZIa.jpg

Can't even let go this thought also - Who knows maybe the 2nd port is the culprit - somehow manage to do the test, Turns out it is fine,
Below is the proof which is 256 GB drive in the NVME1 drive @ BIOS which is the 2nd drive.

tA4Zaqw.jpg

dissel

Cyborg Agent
As my previous post/ Problem deserves a closure hense the posting - Amazon picked up the Replacement Drive so now I'm relieved, Refund will be in Amazon Pay Balance as it looks like which is no problem.....My que in this, why issue a 2nd Replacement, In this case, money not going outside Amazon IN, why waste a second drive....Those fraudsters/misuser of the system certainly like to have it back in their bank.

Great Refund Process - No Phone Call, no Email, Nothing Fully Automated Return System.

FNnYYsP.png

As my previous post/ Problem deserves a closure hense the posting - Amazon picked up the Replacement Drive so now I'm relieved, Refund will be in Amazon Pay Balance as it looks like which is no problem.....My que in this, why issue a 2nd Replacement, In this case, money not going outside Amazon IN, why waste a second drive....Those fraudsters/misuser of the system certainly like to have it back in their bank.

Great Refund Process - No Phone Call, no Email, Nothing Fully Automated Return System.

FNnYYsP.png
People do stuff like use an item for a few days & then refund it, like use speaker for a birthday party then refund.

What are you buying now, A2000?

dissel

Cyborg Agent
What are you buying now, A2000?

As per below image and the Link I posted earlier - According to Lenovo Comunity Forum, it looks like Crucial P1 and Kingstone A2000 is compatible with this laptop and maybe I buy either of one within a sec once I got the refund amount. But I land on this thread.

Link

Please read the horrible post of the link with 4700U processor, To my honest opinion, Lenovo needs to face a hefty fat lawsuit/sue by the customer from all over the world by shipping faulty hardware intentionally...What Technology out of the world feature this Laptop has which not recognizable by the standard M.2 NVME feature......I tried to put a normal M.2 500GB WD Blue Drive non-NVME and that even not recognizable by the BIOS also.

Now I'm sceptical buying anymore M.2 NVME drive for this laptop.....This laptop is excellent until this unwanted issue reveals itself.

EqCSWqC.png

Last edited:
Ok @dissel, something to keep in mind next time I recommend this laptop.

A2000 is better than P1 as P1 is a QLC drive, for similar prices prefer A2000 any day (unless P1 is like 2k cheaper & you want to save money).

dissel

Cyborg Agent
I also think so, better to avoid & just use a regular sata ssd in orico transparent usb 3 case.

Yup.....Now feeling is like Apple M1 user - Only 256GB internal storage and start for looking all other alternative ways to increase storage. One satisfection though, I'm able to upgrade the RAM to 16GB Dual Channel Mode. Waited so long to pick up a Ryzen Laptop is Upgardable RAM + Upgradable Internal Storage...When I came to know this offer Addtional Internal Storage I can't control myself and jump into this with all glory of ThinkPad name. Love the keyboard and track pad thingy - Every laptop must get those addtional button on the top of the Track Pad, completly stop the need of addtional mouse if user comfortable with those....But didn't have the remotest idea about slot incompatibilty isue.

Is QLC drives are good ? Confused after watching this video .

I have a QLC SSD (Intel 660p) & a budget TLC (HP EX920). I personally saw no difference between them in daily usage when I made the switch from former to the latter for OS except for 1 use case, copying large files. When copying files, QLC SSDs provide speed like HDD.

So my impression is, for like 1-1.5k price difference for 1TB, avoid QLC & get TLC SSD instead. Say you get Crucial P1 for 7k vs Kingston A2000 for 9k, you can think about saving money by going QLC IMO.

khalil1210

In the zone
Is this a good laptop for 50k. The base clock speed is only 1ghz?

Top Bottom