• CONTEST ALERT - Experience the power of DDR5 memory with Kingston Click for details

All laptop related queries here!!!

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
I don't know man.I still hear it and from the best of the people and hear it quite often..
Longevity, heat dissipation, overall reliability, performance makes Intel a winner by a long shot for me..
That's great!!

That's ok but I am sure a simple google search would give a contrary view too..
Right now AMD is far far behind Intel, which is not a very good thing for AMD and for us also,
and if it continues to happen this way then god save us from Intel monopoly..
And with Haswell coming which brings significant battery savings, it will be very hard for AMD to fight with the mighty Intel though I really hope and pray that AMD shocks the world someday.

Well my :2cents: buddy.
Ivy/haswell have a tendency to be notoriously hot partially due to poor ventilation & partially due to tri gate transistors..

AMD is not far far behind intel...
Infact AMD beats Intel many a times (consider comparision of HD 4000 vs HD7640G, intel's solution is not even close)
Infact i think Intel's monopoly is being disrupted.
Also as far as power consumption is considered I can easily watch a 3hrs 1080p movie @ 50% brightness or browse web for almost 3.5hrs on a single go which is not bad for a mid range laptop

gamefreak4770k

Journeyman
what about crossfire of 512 MB AMD
Radeon HD 7660G
(Integrated) and 2 GB ATI Mobility
Radeon 7670M HD Graphics
(Dedicated) in amd a10 laptop of hp
will it be better than i3+7670??

thanks

any suggestions????

rohitshubham

Ambassador of Buzz
Ivy/haswell have a tendency to be notoriously hot partially due to poor ventilation & partially due to tri gate transistors..

Infact AMD beats Intel many a times (consider comparision of HD 4000 vs HD7640G, intel's solution is not even close)
Also as far as power consumption is considered I can easily watch a 3hrs 1080p movie @ 50% brightness or browse web for almost 3.5hrs on a single go which is not bad for a mid range laptop
well, but you cannot ignore the fact that AMD is slowly losing to Intel .
I mean just look at the time when pentium 4 was outsmarted by athlon . but for the pas few years the tables have turned. Look at piledriver, i mean they are jst pumping up the core clock to match Intel and yeah increasing the number of cores. look how 6 core processor from intel can be devastating

rouble

Journeyman

I appreciate that..
But did this minor issue stopped anyone from buying Ivy.No at all.And dude, talking about Haswell, If Intel keeps the price right then its curtains for AMD.All depends on pricing of Haswell now.
We all know who is the boss in GPU department, it's hands down AMD.They have got the ATI but Intel have shown quite a lot of improvement in the area which they never cared upon a few years back and with HD5000 and specially the Iris Pro HD5200, intel can surely give sleepless nights to AMD.Iris Pro just blows off everything.Who knows in future, people who are moderate gamers won't need a dedicated gpu as Intel may fulfill their needs through integrated graphics only.That day is not far.So unless AMD pump some serious moolah in R&D chances are that they will never come close to Intel.
Not bad at all..

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
It has been almost 2 years since I purchased this dv6 and it has
been a trouble free experience so far.
However I would like to spruce a few things up.
1.WireLess LAN module-I've seen cheaper G6's having full
strength of WiFi while my dv6 barely manages 2 bars.So I
would like to go in for a better wireless adapter.
2.HDD- How is this for a Speed improvement-http://
Online Shopping India - Shop Online for Books, Mobile Phones, Digital Cameras, Watches & More at Flipkart.com
thickness-1-tb-laptop-internal-hard-st1000lm014/p/
itmdnc2yfcrttmhn?
pid=IHDDNCFZZJKPTS9T&ref=97f26fc5-6358-4c04-9de2-
Will compatibility be an issue>??

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
Hey guys,

Need help. My wife has a 5 year old HP Pavilion DV6 laptop. She's does mainly graphics related work on her laptop. Photoshop etc. Apart from wireless issues there really hasnt been much of a problem. However, thanks to my son, now that has changed :) I am looking for a new one. For gaming, business purposes etc I pretty much know what to get. But not sure of what's the best price/performance laptop oriented towards graphic design laptop at the moment. Few things which are key are:

screen size : 17" preferable. Can compensate for lighter laptops.
laptop weight: This is a primary concern. The DV6 got heavy since I got a replacement battery (a bigger one ofcourse). Lighter the better
Battery life: Needs a good performance here since she uses it in various locations.

Any suggestions welcome. Oh and I am in the UK at the moment. So models/variants which will be available here will be most helpful.

cheers
Karthik

what about crossfire of 512 MB AMD
Radeon HD 7660G
(Integrated) and 2 GB ATI Mobility
Radeon 7670M HD Graphics
(Dedicated) in amd a10 laptop of hp
will it be better than i3+7670??

thanks

any suggestions????

Whats your budget? Both configurations are old now. At same price you can get far better configurations nowadays.BTW I'll go for i3+7670.

betaengineers

from Lenovo Z500
which is good laptop around 50K .
i have few models in Mind :
HP pavillon G6 2304
Lenovo Ideapad Z500
Samsung NP550P5C-04
Asus K55VJSX120D.

Please Reply ... if you have any other suggestion please do comment ...

betaengineers

from Lenovo Z500
Minimum Configuration Required:
i5 3rd processor ; 6GB RAM ; 2gb Graphic ;500 gb Hard-disk
Purpose of laptop : Gaming ,Engineering Work , Entertainment .
. Price bracket around 50K (Max 60K its better if it didn't touch it )

I have some laptops in mind: (and some queries regrading it )
2) Lenovo ideapad Z500 (I have heard it has some battery issue is that correct and it has only 2hr battery backup ???)

2 )HP Pavilion G6 series 2237/2304 : (Does ATI 7670 can run crysis 2 in high sitting . I heard NVIDIA is better than ATI is it true ??)

3) Asus K55VJ-Sx120D : (Don't know anything about this laptop review needed )

and also Samsung NP550P5C - 04s but I don't think it trustworthy personally i have bad experience with Samsung mobile .If any one find it Good for money please tell me ...
Please its urgent

rouble

Journeyman
^^It's good laptop man but what about heating and A.S.S.
was thinking about this one

HP Pavilion G6-2320TX Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Win8/ 1GB Graph) - HP: Flipkart.com

I don't have first hand experience with Samsung A.S.S and I really don't know about overheating in them but let me tell you that Samsung is selling a lot of laptops these days and Samsung is a responsible and a very popular company as we know.They are selling by the thousands daily and is everyone facing this so called overheating issues, I don't think so.And it is the norm that people only report their bad experiences on the net so that way you are gonna hear about A.S.S and overheating issues of each and every company out there.Do a simple google search of laptop of every brand and you will know, be it Apple, be it Lenovo, be it ASUS, be it Dell, just anyone.
Personally I never liked any of the G6 models I have checked so far..All that glossy look and very simple and non impressive design, but that said I really haven't seen one physically.
Both are good for gaming, you can't go wrong with either.
Rest it is upto you, you have to use it not me.Make the best choice.

kaz

right here
My Brother needs a laptop as his 6 years old Lenovo Y500's motherboard died...
budget 40k only.....
Requirements
3rd Gen i5
ram-4gb min
hdd-500gb or above
usb 3.0 ports (2 3.0 ports will be sufficient)
He will be using it for software development purpose, watching movies, lots of net surfing and little gaming (racing and strategy)
WIn 8/7 in not required...DOS will fine....

I have suggested him to go for Samsung or HP because 2yrs extended warranty doesn't come that cheap in Dell.... No Vaio, Lenovo or Acer......

Is there any problem with the AMD's A10 processor? How it performs in comparision with 3rd gen i5?
Nvidia GT620M or AMD 7670M? Which GPU is better?

He will prefer to buy from shops at Kolkata or Flipkart.....

Please give your suggestions....

Last edited:

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you are talking about A10 4600M then it's slower than core i5 cpus. On the other hand HD7670M is better than GT620M.

kaz

right here
thanks for the help topgear....

I think this one is a good buy:
Samsung NP350V5X-S01IN Laptop (3rd Gen Ci5/ 4GB/ 500GB/ DOS/ 2GB Graph) - Samsung: Flipkart.com

anyone knows if I could customize which programs to use gpu in the AMD control panel ? Because its quite helpful feature in Nvidia's Control Panel

thanks for the help topgear....

I think this one is a good buy:
http://www.flipkart.com/samsung-np350v5x-s01in-laptop-3rd-gen-ci5-4gb-500gb-dos-2gb-graph/p/itmdk6ybebthyjzt?pid=COMDK6Y9NHD8H8RX&ref=38f2a77a-4558-465f-9b9d-521cca54a4c2

anyone knows if I could customize which programs to use gpu in the AMD control panel ? Because its quite helpful feature in Nvidia's Control Panel

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

Yes, you can do in graphics swichting properties; which program to be launched in high performance mode (dGPU) and which in power saver mode.(IGP)

Top Bottom