All laptop related queries here!!!

gamefreak4770k

Journeyman
@gamefreak4770k I would suggest you to go for the HP Pavilion G6-2016TX. It is a better overall laptop than the others mentioned and the 3rd gen i5(with the 1GB HD7670) will run most games at med-high settings at ease.

thanks man but would it be able to play gta 4??
my friend has a sony laptop with 3rd gen i5 with 2gb 7670 and still his lappy struggles to play it. Even at low settings.

What's wrong with amd?

sorry with noob questions and thanks a lot man

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
^^ GTA IV was "ported" from consoles to PCs and is one of the most unoptimised builds for Windows. Give this a read: pc terminology - What does "console port" mean in relation to games? - Arqade

Most games aren't like GTA IV(yes many games are ports but they're not as unoptimised like it). Ask your friends to disable dual graphics and use the main GPU instead of the power saving one.

Switchable Graphics on Notebooks Configured with Intel and ATI GPUs | HP® Support

rouble

Journeyman
@Chaitanya
Thnx for replying
Yeah I too think Dell is asking too much for too little.Ram is a deal breaker.
Confusion is between 2nd and 3rd ones..Both Sammy ones..Although both have their plus points against each other.
2nd one has two USB 3.0 ports against none in the other, Windows 8 out of box, better network chip
but the third one has a better GPU(8750m>7670m), better processor and it is a lot cheaper than the other too.
Both have got kickass looks.

Presently I am looking for an intel only laptop so AMD is out of question.

talking about Samsung A.S.S. - had to rma my monitor, called up CC at 11.30pm and service enginner called me on 12.30pm and showed up at 2pm [ though he is a bit reluctatnt ] got the panel replaced in 2 days - actually it could have been 1 day only but the technician brought a wrong panel but anyway, it's ultra fast IMO.

That's very good.
Actually I have no personal experience, another thing do the models specified above have good cooling?

That is music to my ears :)
Now my only concern is the heating in Samsung laptops.I don't think there should be any problem
but still need to know from the folks who are using or have used Sammy laptops.

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
@Chaitanya
Thnx for replying
Yeah I too think Dell is asking too much for too little.Ram is a deal breaker.
Confusion is between 2nd and 3rd ones..Both Sammy ones..Although both have their plus points against each other.
2nd one has two USB 3.0 ports against none in the other, Windows 8 out of box, better network chip
but the third one has a better GPU(8750m>7670m), better processor and it is a lot cheaper than the other too.
Both have got kickass looks.

Presently I am looking for an intel only laptop so AMD is out of question.

i3-3110m & i3-3120m don't have significant performance difference.

USB 3.0 is actually good for USB 3.0 devices like an external HDD or so. (that actually makes a lot of difference in speeds.)

Win8/Linux is purely your choice.

GPU.. I misread it as HD 8570m instead of 8750m.. (GPU is almost 25-30% better as far as FPS are considerd)

More gaming = option 3
else
Option 2

Also may I ask why Intel only??

Hrishi

Guys if i don't get an i5, would i3 be better or amd a10??

for gaming purposes...

thanks

I3 /I5 both are dual cores with hyper threading.
I3 should suffice , but if you need turbo boost and more power , then i5 all the way.
A10 is good if you planning to play games with CF support.

IMO, get A10. But insure that CF works properly with the config you are choosing.

gamefreak4770k

Journeyman
Can you post which laptop? It's hard to make a comment seeing only the processor name.

same

HP Pavilion G6-2312AX Laptop (APU
Quad Core A10/ 4GB/ 1TB/ Win8/
2.5GB Graph)
Dell Inspiron 15 3521 Laptop (3rd Gen
Ci3/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win8/ 2GB Graph)
HP Pavilion 15-e017TX Laptop (3rd
Gen Ci3/ 4GB/ 500GB/ Win8/ 2GB
Graph)

rouble

Journeyman
i3-3110m & i3-3120m don't have significant performance difference.

USB 3.0 is actually good for USB 3.0 devices like an external HDD or so. (that actually makes a lot of difference in speeds.)

Win8/Linux is purely your choice.

GPU.. I misread it as HD 8570m instead of 8750m.. (GPU is almost 25-30% better as far as FPS are considerd)

More gaming = option 3
else
Option 2

Also may I ask why Intel only??

I am not at all dying for a 100mhz difference..
Yeah since most of the external hard disks do come with USB 3.0 nowadays, I can't go wrong with it's inclusion.
And the purchase of an external HDD is inevitable due to all the movies and series :cool:

Even DOS will suffice.In any case I will be putting Windows 7 :mrgreen:

Yeah but if the other has better heat dissipation and build quality then I would be likely to go with the 2nd one.And gaming is not the only priority..not dying for it..Infact gaming is a 2nd priority here which gives the answer to your question of why I am going for an intel one...
Need better processing power too and since heat is a major concern here, an intel will suit me more as everywhere and from everyone I hear that APUs produce more heat as compared to Intel and I don't think any one can deny that Intel is a better technology..
All in all still not ready for AMD..In future, maybe!!

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
since heat is a major concern here, an intel will suit me more as everywhere and from everyone I hear that APUs produce more heat as compared to Intel and I don't think any one can deny that Intel is a better technology..

:facepalm:

That's an age old concern..
My G6-2005ax remains at 43-49C during watching movies & browsing net.

Also in a review conducted by Digit that consisted of almost 10 laptops in 30-40k range varying from 2ndgen i3 to 3rd gen i5, APU scored highest in battery life.

gamefreak4770k

Journeyman
I3 /I5 both are dual cores with hyper threading.
I3 should suffice , but if you need turbo boost and more power , then i5 all the way.
A10 is good if you planning to play games with CF support.

IMO, get A10. But insure that CF works properly with the config you are choosing.

what about crossfire of 512 MB AMD Radeon HD 7660G
(Integrated) and 2 GB ATI Mobility
Radeon 7670M HD Graphics
(Dedicated) in amd a10 laptop of hp

will it be better than i3+7670??

thanks

rouble

Journeyman
:facepalm:

That's an age old concern..
My G6-2005ax remains at 43-49C during watching movies & browsing net.

Also in a review conducted by Digit that consisted of almost 10 laptops in 30-40k range varying from 2ndgen i3 to 3rd gen i5, APU scored highest in battery life.

I don't know man.I still hear it and from the best of the people and hear it quite often..
Longevity, heat dissipation, overall reliability, performance makes Intel a winner by a long shot for me..
That's great!!

That's ok but I am sure a simple google search would give a contrary view too..
Right now AMD is far far behind Intel, which is not a very good thing for AMD and for us also,
and if it continues to happen this way then god save us from Intel monopoly..
And with Haswell coming which brings significant battery savings, it will be very hard for AMD to fight with the mighty Intel though I really hope and pray that AMD shocks the world someday.

Chaitanya

Cyborg Agent
I don't know man.I still hear it and from the best of the people and hear it quite often..
Longevity, heat dissipation, overall reliability, performance makes Intel a winner by a long shot for me..
That's great!!

That's ok but I am sure a simple google search would give a contrary view too..
Right now AMD is far far behind Intel, which is not a very good thing for AMD and for us also,
and if it continues to happen this way then god save us from Intel monopoly..
And with Haswell coming which brings significant battery savings, it will be very hard for AMD to fight with the mighty Intel though I really hope and pray that AMD shocks the world someday.

Well my :2cents: buddy.
Ivy/haswell have a tendency to be notoriously hot partially due to poor ventilation & partially due to tri gate transistors..

AMD is not far far behind intel...
Infact AMD beats Intel many a times (consider comparision of HD 4000 vs HD7640G, intel's solution is not even close)
Infact i think Intel's monopoly is being disrupted.
Also as far as power consumption is considered I can easily watch a 3hrs 1080p movie @ 50% brightness or browse web for almost 3.5hrs on a single go which is not bad for a mid range laptop

gamefreak4770k

Journeyman
what about crossfire of 512 MB AMD
Radeon HD 7660G
Radeon 7670M HD Graphics

thanks

any suggestions????

rohitshubham

Ambassador of Buzz
Ivy/haswell have a tendency to be notoriously hot partially due to poor ventilation & partially due to tri gate transistors..

Infact AMD beats Intel many a times (consider comparision of HD 4000 vs HD7640G, intel's solution is not even close)
Also as far as power consumption is considered I can easily watch a 3hrs 1080p movie @ 50% brightness or browse web for almost 3.5hrs on a single go which is not bad for a mid range laptop
well, but you cannot ignore the fact that AMD is slowly losing to Intel .
I mean just look at the time when pentium 4 was outsmarted by athlon . but for the pas few years the tables have turned. Look at piledriver, i mean they are jst pumping up the core clock to match Intel and yeah increasing the number of cores. look how 6 core processor from intel can be devastating

rouble

Journeyman

I appreciate that..
But did this minor issue stopped anyone from buying Ivy.No at all.And dude, talking about Haswell, If Intel keeps the price right then its curtains for AMD.All depends on pricing of Haswell now.
We all know who is the boss in GPU department, it's hands down AMD.They have got the ATI but Intel have shown quite a lot of improvement in the area which they never cared upon a few years back and with HD5000 and specially the Iris Pro HD5200, intel can surely give sleepless nights to AMD.Iris Pro just blows off everything.Who knows in future, people who are moderate gamers won't need a dedicated gpu as Intel may fulfill their needs through integrated graphics only.That day is not far.So unless AMD pump some serious moolah in R&D chances are that they will never come close to Intel.
Not bad at all..

swiftshashi

Beta Geek ;-)
It has been almost 2 years since I purchased this dv6 and it has
been a trouble free experience so far.
However I would like to spruce a few things up.
1.WireLess LAN module-I've seen cheaper G6's having full
strength of WiFi while my dv6 barely manages 2 bars.So I
would like to go in for a better wireless adapter.
2.HDD- How is this for a Speed improvement-*
Online Shopping India - Shop Online for Books, Mobile Phones, Digital Cameras, Watches & More at Flipkart.com
thickness-1-tb-laptop-internal-hard-st1000lm014/p/
itmdnc2yfcrttmhn?
pid=IHDDNCFZZJKPTS9T&ref=97f26fc5-6358-4c04-9de2-
Will compatibility be an issue>??

icecoolz

Cyborg Agent
Hey guys,

Need help. My wife has a 5 year old HP Pavilion DV6 laptop. She's does mainly graphics related work on her laptop. Photoshop etc. Apart from wireless issues there really hasnt been much of a problem. However, thanks to my son, now that has changed :) I am looking for a new one. For gaming, business purposes etc I pretty much know what to get. But not sure of what's the best price/performance laptop oriented towards graphic design laptop at the moment. Few things which are key are:

screen size : 17" preferable. Can compensate for lighter laptops.
laptop weight: This is a primary concern. The DV6 got heavy since I got a replacement battery (a bigger one ofcourse). Lighter the better
Battery life: Needs a good performance here since she uses it in various locations.

Any suggestions welcome. Oh and I am in the UK at the moment. So models/variants which will be available here will be most helpful.

cheers
Karthik

what about crossfire of 512 MB AMD
Radeon HD 7660G
Radeon 7670M HD Graphics

thanks

any suggestions????

Whats your budget? Both configurations are old now. At same price you can get far better configurations nowadays.BTW I'll go for i3+7670.

Top Bottom