All laptop related queries here!!!

nikhildewan

Broken In
Hello nikhildevan

Welcome to TDF :)

For your need I'd suggest you Vaio SVE14A16N. Except 7200rpm HDD it has got everything you want. But that won't mater.

i7 3rd gen + 4GB (add one 4GB module) + 7670M (good enough to make you stick) + backlit keyboard + 2 USB 3.0 ports (one charge port) @ 66k. You will get it 2-3k cheaper locally.

what about the vaio S series? the only reason for me to not go above 14" screen size is the weight, but S series 15" solve this problem, it is under 2kg, moreover it provides 1080p. As E series have been launched with new ivy bridge, hope S series will also be launched with ivy bridge soon. In sony uk, its already launched. Sony - Enhance your productivity with faster, smarter mobile VAIO PCs from Sony: New VAIO S and Z Series : : News : Sony Europe Press Centre

what you say on it? everything seems to be better than E series except the speed of RAM and couldn't tell the difference in GPU. is Hybrid NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 640M LE GPU better than AMD Radeon™ HD 6630M in current S series and E series's AMD Radeon™ HD 7670M

nikhildewan

Broken In
Re: Advice on buying a Laptop

It is a very big time of 6 years from your last purchase. The market is filled with laptops with desktop like performance. Ivy bridge laptop has already launched by hp from around 2 months. The model number is dv6-7010tx comes with core-i7 3610QM (2.3 Ghz), full keyboard, 15.6" (16:9 ratio) screen powered by nvidia switchable graphics (which can be switchable to onboard intel HD 4000 graphics) and the price is around 58k would full fill all you needs. The best thing is service, any kind of damage insure and build quality of laptop is incredible. The speakers are with a mini sub-woofer. It'll definitely work fine for 4 years. Buying an i7 is always future proof.

I guess 1366x768 as shown at the same link, is not 16:9 ratio. Compared to E series 14" as suggested by sujoy, it is heavier, GPU scores lower(VGA GPU Benchmark, Compare - ??????????? VGA GPU Notebook, Laptop | Notebook4Game.com), provides low resolution, so I think I should rule out this laptop.

can you tell me more about HP Envy, spectre series? I searched a lot about them but could not get any conclusive and detailed specification about them to compare with sony vaio E and S series.

By the way, your avatar is nice, Sheldon Cooper, or I should better say DR. Sheldon Cooper. :lol:

rider

as Kratos

I guess 1366x768 as shown at the same link, is not 16:9 ratio. Compared to E series 14" as suggested by sujoy, it is heavier, GPU scores lower(VGA GPU Benchmark, Compare - ??????????? VGA GPU Notebook, Laptop | Notebook4Game.com), provides low resolution, so I think I should rule out this laptop.

can you tell me more about HP Envy, spectre series? I searched a lot about them but could not get any conclusive and detailed specification about them to compare with sony vaio E and S series.

By the way, your avatar is nice, Sheldon Cooper, or I should better say DR. Sheldon Cooper. :lol:

Thanks! for the appreciation of my avatar.
I would like to tell you 1366 X 768 is exactly a 16:9 display.
I apologies for that, I didn't see vaio is with HD 7670M, I thought it is HD 7450M :oops:
The new HP Envy doesn't have any 14" laptop in india yet and the 15.6" one is overpriced.
As mentioned by sujay the new vaio SVE14A16FNH would be perfect for you. It is available in sony centre for 64k bucks.

Last edited:

Games Goblin

Journeyman
Guys, I would greatly value your help on my laptop buying decision - I have decided on my final budget (after 2 changes!) and I need your help to finalize - I have posted the final shortlist in this post - so I'm not reposting here again! Thanks for all your help!

rider

as Kratos
I recommend you to get asus model and don't waste money on some imported laptop that has no warranty here.

nikhildewan

Broken In

Thanks! for the appreciation of my avatar.
I would like to tell you 1366 X 768 is exactly a 16:9 display.
I apologies for that, I didn't see vaio is with HD 7670M, I thought it is HD 7450M :oops:
The new HP Envy doesn't have any 14" laptop in india yet and the 15.6" one is overpriced.
As mentioned by sujay the new vaio SVE14A16FNH would be perfect for you. It is available in sony centre for 64k bucks.

yes no doubt SVE14A16FNH is a great product, but what you say about VPCSE17GG/B ? wud it be worth waiting for its successor launched in uk, as mentioned in earlier post.

rider

as Kratos

yes no doubt SVE14A16FNH is a great product, but what you say about VPCSE17GG/B ? wud it be worth waiting for its successor launched in uk, as mentioned in earlier post.

VPCSE17GG/B is not value for money, it has a dual core processor and the worst graphic performance in its class. Also it is of 15.5" you already said no to this much large screen. Go with SVE14A16FNH.

trublu

Ta da !
I have night shifts this whole week, will try to find out time to gather data for a review.

Played Burnout Paradise today..and it ran like 'Makkhan' :D considering I had an IBM R-52 with me for 6 yrs, which refused to run NFS MW at low settings properly :p

arani

whiz kid
Hey guys, I have a few questions.

1. I want to know when will laptops powered by the AMD A10 Trinity processors be launched in India? Will it be a better choice over Intel's Ivy Bridge processors if my priority is gaming, multimedia and a good battery life?

2. Will these laptops only have onboard graphics or will they have dedicated graphics also? If so, will it be Crossfire enabled so that it can be "coupled"(you ill have to pardon me, for the lack of a better term) with the onboard graphics?

3. Will any of these laptops be in the 50-55k range?

4. Finally, will this processor technology hold up against Intel in the long run?

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
1. I want to know when will laptops powered by the AMD A10 Trinity processors be launched in India?

expect a few to appear by July first.

Will it be a better choice over Intel's Ivy Bridge processors if my priority is gaming, multimedia and a good battery life?

depends on budget. For under 35k, yes. above 35k Trinity makes little or no sense. But some specially gaming oriented Trinity based laptops may appear above 35k. time will tell.

2. Will these laptops only have onboard graphics or will they have dedicated graphics also?

on-die graphics + a second GPU XFired. Even in lowend laptops a second GPU is usually there.

If so, will it be Crossfire enabled so that it can be "coupled"(you ill have to pardon me, for the lack of a better term) with the onboard graphics?

yes but if AMD doesn't fix driver expect the opposite i.e. poor performance.

3. Will any of these laptops be in the 50-55k range?

hmmm

4. Finally, will this processor technology hold up against Intel in the long run?

reliability or the laptop dying an early death? well as the performance is just tad better than i3, but looking at the price you'll get a basic use laptop based on Intel processor. With AMD processor you can at least game. This means the processor is good for 4yrs unless you want to try some serious encoding work on your laptop.

arani

whiz kid
reliability or the laptop dying an early death? well as the performance is just tad better than i3, but looking at the price you'll get a basic use laptop based on Intel processor. With AMD processor you can at least game. This means the processor is good for 4yrs unless you want to try some serious encoding work on your laptop.

For a budget between 45-55k, which is the better option - Ivy Bridge or Trinity?

rider

as Kratos
For a budget between 45-55k, which is the better option - Ivy Bridge or Trinity?

dude, keep in mind.. approx 1 out of 100 prefers to by AMD processor laptop in India. IMO buy a laptop of intel processor, it is more reliable.
As you said your main priority is gaming and if you can have budget of 58k get hp dv6-6165tx powered by powerful AMD 6770M 2GB DDR5 graphics.

Last edited:

arani

whiz kid
dude, keep in mind.. approx 1 out of 100 prefers to by AMD processor laptop in India. IMO buy a laptop of intel processor, it is more reliable.
As you said your main priority is gaming and if you can have budget of 58k get hp dv6-6165tx powered by powerful AMD 6770M 2GB DDR5 graphics.

Actually I am waiting for the new Dell Inspiron Special Edition (with 3rd gen processors) to launch in India. Buy your favourite Dell Laptops, Netbooks and Notebook | Dell Singapore

These laptops have been launched in Singapore and have GT 640m or Radeon 7730M (both are better than the 6770M). I don't know if the specs will be the same in India but I guess its worth the wait. They are releasing in India mid-June.

rider

as Kratos
I know about these laptop, I told this news first in the digit forum about a month ago
I would like to tell you these laptop would definitely will not come in India as here the inspiron series is for economic media laptops.. that is less than 50k price range.
Though 6165tx is also going to disappear in the market, it is currently the best deal for medium gamers. buy it or regret it.

Top Bottom