All laptop related queries here!!!

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Hello, I am confused between following two laptops:
1. HP probook 4430s: i5-2350m,4GB RAM,500GB-7200rpm HDD,Intel HD3000
2. Lenovo L420: i5-2450m,4GB RAM,500GB-7200 rpm HDD, ATI Radeon 6470M

I am not into gaming so not thinking of graphics cards as such.(Are these both cards give nearly same performance??) But I am able to get both these configuration at almost same price.

Please comment on specification and also on performance of HP probook vs Lenovo L series & their service in India.

Go for this.

arani

whiz kid
HP and Asus have launched Ivy Bridge Laptops in India, both with GT 630m [:x] Dell has launched the Inspiron Special editions with Ivy bridge in other Asian countries (14R with gt 640m New! Inspiron 14R Special Edition Laptop Details | Dell Singapore

and 15r with radeon 7730 New! Inspiron 15R Special Edition Laptop Details | Dell Singapore).

Dell is going to launch these laptops in India during mid- to late-June, maybe even early July. I was wondering whether the configurations will be the same in India as in the rest of the countries. Can anyone provide any detailed info?

aroraanant

Explorer
HP and Asus have launched Ivy Bridge Laptops in India, both with GT 630m [:x] Dell has launched the Inspiron Special editions with Ivy bridge in other Asian countries (14R with gt 640m New! Inspiron 14R Special Edition Laptop Details | Dell Singapore

and 15r with radeon 7730 New! Inspiron 15R Special Edition Laptop Details | Dell Singapore).

Dell is going to launch these laptops in India during mid- to late-June, maybe even early July. I was wondering whether the configurations will be the same in India as in the rest of the countries. Can anyone provide any detailed info?
The configs will slight vary, though they can be same.The difference won't be much.

nikhildewan

Broken In
Re: Advice on buying a Laptop

frustrated with current hp pavilion dv1386 (pentium M, 2gb, 60GB hdd) bought for 60K in 2006. It shutdown directly with heavy browsing or running 2 VMs

so looking for a new laptop with following config:-

1# Processor: 2nd generation intel core i7 (atleast 4 real cores)
wud be running multi threaded applications and working on many VMs simultaneously. need virtual and turbo boost tech also

2# RAM: Atleast 6GB DDR3 1333Mhz Dual Channel

3# Graphics Card: Atleast 1GB
dont knw much about GPUs, gaming would be occasional
when bought the laptop in 2006, very soon got outdated for most of the games, so, was away from good gaming since then....hoping gaming bug would bite me again once my laptop has the capacity to play current and future games decently

4# HDD: 750GB 7200rpm + SSD(optional)

5# Display: 14-15" 1080p Full HD
more than 15" tend to get heavier, dnt like it.. as I would be carrying laptop sometimes

6# Keyboard with backlight : would be nice

7# usb 3.0 : i guess would be necessity in future

8# Budget : No bar, just need worth of money

overall, need a laptop which could be useful for coming 3-4 years, doesn't get outdated very soon

should I wait for Ivy bridge?

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
Hello nikhildevan

Welcome to TDF :)

For your need I'd suggest you Vaio SVE14A16N. Except 7200rpm HDD it has got everything you want. But that won't mater.

i7 3rd gen + 4GB (add one 4GB module) + 7670M (good enough to make you stick) + backlit keyboard + 2 USB 3.0 ports (one charge port) @ 66k. You will get it 2-3k cheaper locally.

arani

whiz kid
$1599 for inspiron 15r? o_O that means 85k+ in india? :O

yeah but i contacted Dell customer care and they said the price will be just 3-4k more than the current products :shock: maybe the info is wrong or maybe the specs will be cut down. I really wish they don't cross the 55k mark. It would be great to have a laptop with such great specs (read 3rd gen, awesome graphics, 1080p, backlit keybrd etc etc) at this price range..fingers crossed..:wink:

rider

as Kratos
Re: Advice on buying a Laptop

frustrated with current hp pavilion dv1386 (pentium M, 2gb, 60GB hdd) bought for 60K in 2006. It shutdown directly with heavy browsing or running 2 VMs

so looking for a new laptop with following config:-

1# Processor: 2nd generation intel core i7 (atleast 4 real cores)
wud be running multi threaded applications and working on many VMs simultaneously. need virtual and turbo boost tech also

2# RAM: Atleast 6GB DDR3 1333Mhz Dual Channel

3# Graphics Card: Atleast 1GB
dont knw much about GPUs, gaming would be occasional
when bought the laptop in 2006, very soon got outdated for most of the games, so, was away from good gaming since then....hoping gaming bug would bite me again once my laptop has the capacity to play current and future games decently

4# HDD: 750GB 7200rpm + SSD(optional)

5# Display: 14-15" 1080p Full HD
more than 15" tend to get heavier, dnt like it.. as I would be carrying laptop sometimes

6# Keyboard with backlight : would be nice

7# usb 3.0 : i guess would be necessity in future

8# Budget : No bar, just need worth of money

overall, need a laptop which could be useful for coming 3-4 years, doesn't get outdated very soon

should I wait for Ivy bridge?

It is a very big time of 6 years from your last purchase. The market is filled with laptops with desktop like performance. Ivy bridge laptop has already launched by hp from around 2 months. The model number is dv6-7010tx comes with core-i7 3610QM (2.3 Ghz), full keyboard, 15.6" (16:9 ratio) screen powered by nvidia switchable graphics (which can be switchable to onboard intel HD 4000 graphics) and the price is around 58k would full fill all you needs. The best thing is service, any kind of damage insure and build quality of laptop is incredible. The speakers are with a mini sub-woofer. It'll definitely work fine for 4 years. Buying an i7 is always future proof.

Last edited:

aroraanant

Explorer
Hello nikhildevan

Welcome to TDF :)

For your need I'd suggest you Vaio SVE14A16N. Except 7200rpm HDD it has got everything you want. But that won't mater.

i7 3rd gen + 4GB (add one 4GB module) + 7670M (good enough to make you stick) + backlit keyboard + 2 USB 3.0 ports (one charge port) @ 66k. You will get it 2-3k cheaper locally.
This one is really nice sujay, great find I must say....
But its not Full HD(correct me if I m wrong)

Top Bottom