All laptop related queries here!!!

drsubhadip

In the zone
Firstly pls stop quoting unnecessary posts. It justs creates a mess which wasn't supposed to be there.

Now how XPS 14z is better than macbook pro 13-

1) 2430M > 2415M (plus procy is downclocked under heavy use in mac)
2) 7200 HDD > 5400 HDD
3) Bluetooth 3.0 > 2.1
4) USB 3.0 > USB 2.0
5) 520M > 320M (Lot better gfx)
6) Bigger screen
7) 1366*768 > 1280*800 (Bigger native resolution)
8) 3 Yrs Complete Cover (this needs no introduction and the USP of XPS 14z here)

Now some pros of Mac-

1) Brand (yeah)
2) Killer looks
3) Perfect craftmanship (exemplary built)
4) Better battery life

Now the decision is yours.

thank you,

first of all i have cleared the quotes in my earlier post,

how much battery condition in xps 14z?

thank you very much

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
More or less same, but Mac's underpowering thing will count more minutes I guess. Though keep it in mind, it gives a LOT less backup when running windows Vs Mac.

arsenalfan001

Arsenal Fan
PS- When macbook & vaio are in league, no HP :))

IMHO, Probooks are good enough as business class laptops.
Office purpose and no gaming = look no further than Vostros and Probook/Elitebook series.

for eg, XPS 14z has a GT 520, worthless and will drain the battery faster.
I would suggest to check the Vostros or the Probooks.

drsubhadip

In the zone
Office purpose and no gaming = look no further than Vostros and Probook/Elitebook series.

please suggest me some particular model..

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member

I don't have experience of probooks, but I seriously think whats there in Vostro to love/like. One of my friend has that, and I find it very dull. Weight is also not that light.

nims11

BIOS Terminator
I don't have experience of probooks, but I seriously think whats there in Vostro to love/like. One of my friend has that, and I find it very dull. Weight is also not that light.

I doubt the quality of Vostro series. couple of my friends have it. It is overpriced in addition to being highly incompatible with Linux.

Fayad

Right off the assembly line
Hi all,

can you tell me whether Asus K Series K53SC-SX096D has got usb3 port? i couldnt find that in their site..

need your help in finalising a laptop,
Asus K Series K53SC-SX096D vs Asus X Series X53SC-SX187D vs Sony VAIO E Series VPCEH25EN: Compare Computers: Flipkart.com

am looking for a laptop around 30k, would prefer usb3 and hdmi ports, and a quite good graphics processor. i dont know how the NVIDIA GeForce GT 520M would perform.

please comment.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I doubt the quality of Vostro series. couple of my friends have it. It is overpriced in addition to being highly incompatible with Linux.

Can you explain how?

Hi all,

can you tell me whether Asus K Series K53SC-SX096D has got usb3 port? i couldnt find that in their site..

need your help in finalising a laptop,
Asus K Series K53SC-SX096D vs Asus X Series X53SC-SX187D vs Sony VAIO E Series VPCEH25EN: Compare Computers: Flipkart.com

am looking for a laptop around 30k, would prefer usb3 and hdmi ports, and a quite good graphics processor. i dont know how the NVIDIA GeForce GT 520M would perform.

please comment.

In the comparison, its saying it has usb 3.0. But your budget is very tight for your requirements. If you can increase it, you can get good options. :)

Fayad

In the comparison, its saying it has usb 3.0. But your budget is very tight for your requirements. If you can increase it, you can get good options. :)
its not mentioned as usb3.0, even in asus site its not mentioned, so i doubt if it has usb3.0,
checked these links

Asus K Series K53SC-SX096D vs Sony VAIO E Series VPCEH25EN: Compare Computers: Flipkart.com
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. - Notebooks- ASUS K53SC
Buy Asus K53SC-SX096D Notebook (Brown Aluminum) at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews

budget is only 30k now. so i 've to get one with maximum bang for the buck.:)

also i would like to hear from any asus owners here :)

nims11

BIOS Terminator
Can you explain how?

i tried my hands on vostro 1450 or something like that.
1. none of the ubuntu versions except 10.04 and 11.10 ran perfectly. Mint<11 didn't work. Ubuntu 10.04 booted fine just 75% of time :)?). none of the Fedora have worked perfectly (even after installation, the system is very unstable)(haven't tried fedora 16). I even spent my time installing Arch in it and it failed too.

2. except for Mint 12 and ubuntu 11.10, all the other distros had the problem with sound driver, wifi driver and some had gfx driver problem. while the sound driver problem was solved easily with a kernel upgrade, solving the wifi problem was quite tedious (for people not comfy with the CLI). Installing proprietary drivers either failed or crashed the Linux installation.

And i tried all of the above with 2 different vostros. Don't know if it is valid for all the vostros, but the frustrating experience i have faced makes me believe that. :-o

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
^Well, i'm not an expert in linux, but what can be the reason behind all this? Some crappy bios implementation by dell?

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
If gaming is the main concern then look for HP Pavilion DV6 Series Dv4 - 3016tx @ 42K. It has
Core i5 2410M
4GB 1333 MHz DDR3
500 GB 5400 RPM SATA HDD
ATI HD 6750M 1GB GDDR5 (even more powerful than GT 555M, has better memory bandwidth due to GDDR5 memory)
14" Display with 1366X768 resolution
Altec Lancing Speakers
1000 Mbps Lan
Wi-fi 802.11 b/g/n
1 USB 2.0 and 2 USB 3.0 port
2.22 Kg

This laptop is lighter compared to the others with equivalent config. Also the graphics card is the strongest among laptops within the same budget; mainly GT 540M with DDR3 memory. It also offers USB 3.0 port.

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
If gaming is the main concern then look for HP Pavilion DV6 Series Dv4 - 3016tx @ 42K. It has
Core i5 2410M
4GB 1333 MHz DDR3
500 GB 5400 RPM SATA HDD
ATI HD 6750M 1GB GDDR5 (even more powerful than GT 555M, has better memory bandwidth due to GDDR5 memory)
14" Display with 1366X768 resolution
Altec Lancing Speakers
1000 Mbps Lan
Wi-fi 802.11 b/g/n
1 USB 2.0 and 2 USB 3.0 port
2.22 Kg

This laptop is lighter compared to the others with equivalent config. Also the graphics card is the strongest among laptops within the same budget; mainly GT 540M with DDR3 memory. It also offers USB 3.0 port.

Budget of OP is strict 30k and this one for 42k ! :-o
Also, one feeling I always had for this lappi. Is it fair enough to punch so much of raw gfx power in 14 inch lappi? And that too in a "HP" which has got some bad cooling? I really doubt this piece will be durable. Recently one of my friends HP lappi mobo blew off without gaming. :crazy:

its not mentioned as usb3.0, even in asus site its not mentioned, so i doubt if it has usb3.0,
checked these links

Asus K Series K53SC-SX096D vs Sony VAIO E Series VPCEH25EN: Compare Computers: Flipkart.com
Buy Asus K53SC-SX096D Notebook (Brown Aluminum) at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews

budget is only 30k now. so i 've to get one with maximum bang for the buck.:)

also i would like to hear from any asus owners here :)

Though flipkart says that one of the model has USB 3.0, Asus says nothing about USB.
Well if you really want bang for buck, get this one, you won't regret.
Asus X Series X53TA-SX096D Laptop: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Asus Notebook

Its Llano based lappi, procy wise not better than SB, but yeah, enough for you. Also much better graphics than that crappy 520M. A total VFM.

Cilus

laborare est orare
All the K53SC seris laptops do have 1 USB 3.0 port. Check here:

gokul.doomknight

i'm planning to buy a laptop for budget of 60k (extendable, not too rigid)
i basically need it for working on solidworks and catia etc along with entertainment and gaming..i'm a student working on a project.
can anyone recommend a good laptop, with the best features..and i need an i7 for sure.
also, (sorry to sound like a noob) i would like to know if it is possible to add high end graphics cards to laptops, and if so, is it possible on laptops such as lenovo Z570 59-315953..i would like to add something like quadro 2000 or 3000M or geforce 555M or 560 M or better (please suggest within 20k).

this is the link of the Z570 to which i would like to add this on.
Lenovo - Laptop computers - IdeaPad - Z Series - India(IN)

Cilus

laborare est orare
i'm planning to buy a laptop for budget of 60k (extendable, not too rigid)
i basically need it for working on solidworks and catia etc along with entertainment and gaming..i'm a student working on a project.
can anyone recommend a good laptop, with the best features..and i need an i7 for sure.
also, (sorry to sound like a noob) i would like to know if it is possible to add high end graphics cards to laptops, and if so, is it possible on laptops such as lenovo Z570 59-315953..i would like to add something like quadro 2000 or 3000M or geforce 555M or 560 M or better (please suggest within 20k).

this is the link of the Z570 to which i would like to add this on.
Lenovo - Laptop computers - IdeaPad - Z Series - India(IN)

Here is the suggestions:
1. HP Pavilion DV6 Series DV6-6121TX @ 56K
Specs:
Intel Core i7 2630QM (2 GHz, 6 MB L3)
Intel HM65 Chipset
4GB 1333 MHz DDR3 (upgradable upto 16 GB)
640GB 5400 RPM SATA HDD
AMD HD 6770M 2GB GDDR5 Gaphics card
15.6" HD BrightView Display with 1366X768 resolution
1000 Mbps Lan, BT 3.0, Wifi 802.11 b/g/n
2 USB 3.0 and 2 USB 2.0 ports
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit
0.3 Mpx Web cam

HP Pavilion DV6 Series DV6-6121TX Laptop: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review HP Notebook

2. Asus K Series K53SV-SX562D @ 48.8K
Specs:
Intel Core i7 2670QM
Intel H65M
8 GB DDR3 1333 MHz Ram
750 GB 5400 rpm HDD
15.6" HD Glare Display with 1366X768 resolution
GT 540M 2GB DDR3 Graphics card
1000 Mbps Lan, 802.11 b/g./n, BT 3.0
1 USB 3.0, 2 USB 2.0
o.3 Mpx Web cam
No OS

Asus K Series K53SV-SX562D Laptop: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Asus Notebook

Among these two models by pick is the HP one due to the far higher Graphics processor. HD 6770M is far more powerful than GT 540M and also comes with GDDR5 memory, way faster than the slower DDR3 memory of GT 540M. It also comes with Windows 7 64 bit OS preloaded.

MegaMind

Human Spambot
Guys i have a doubt,

My Cousin won a Samsung NetBook NP-N100-MA05IN in "Spelling bee" competition.
It has MeeGo OS, which she finds diff. to use. So i thought of installing windows XP in it.

My question is, since this netbook doesn't have an optical drive will win XP recognize USB devices to install the drivers?

And can someone help me to find the drivers?

muh

Toshiba-C640-X4010

H all,
I would like to have your valuable inputs for the Toshiba C640 series of Laptops 14 inch display :The following are the specs in brief.

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-2430M Processor
2.4 GHz with Turbo Boost technology up to 3.0 GHz (3MB Cache)
Graphics : Mobile Intel® HM65 Express Chipset
Intel® HD Graphics

The following laptop is available for a price of 33k (including taxes,a really tempting offer for an i5). Would like to have your opinion on this

Thanks
rohit

Fayad

Though flipkart says that one of the model has USB 3.0, Asus says nothing about USB.
Well if you really want bang for buck, get this one, you won't regret.
Asus X Series X53TA-SX096D Laptop: Flipkart.com: Compare, Review Asus Notebook

Its Llano based lappi, procy wise not better than SB, but yeah, enough for you. Also much better graphics than that crappy 520M. A total VFM.
thanks for the suggestions..it has usb3, checked the link cilus gave..
All the K53SC seris laptops do have 1 USB 3.0 port. Check here:
thanks :) so this checked most of the boxes, but no idea about the performance of the gfx card..is it any good to buy this laptop or go for the same spec laptop without the graphics card and save the money? i dont plan to play games, but like to watch hd videos connecting it to tv via hdmi etc..
H all,
I would like to have your valuable inputs for the Toshiba C640 series of Laptops 14 inch display :The following are the specs in brief.

Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-2430M Processor
2.4 GHz with Turbo Boost technology up to 3.0 GHz (3MB Cache)
Graphics : Mobile Intel® HM65 Express Chipset
Intel® HD Graphics

The following laptop is available for a price of 33k (including taxes,a really tempting offer for an i5). Would like to have your opinion on this

Thanks
rohit
its available for 30k in flipkart, i felt the built quality isnt great, but not a big problem, no hdmi and usb3 in this. this one was avaible for 28-29k 1 month back. seems like prices have increased..

Top Bottom