Not open for further replies.

paul_007

Padawan
hi
my config is:

p-4 2.26 GHz, 500 MHz FSB
128mb DDR 266 MHz ram
256 mb 6600 gt card

i want to increase my ram, can i use higher speed ddr ram like 333 MHz , 400 MHz instead of 266 MHz on my motherboard?

Crazy_Eddy

Broken In
Hey first off digitized - great work with the configs !

Though a couple of errors i'd like to point out :
digitized said:
And all AMD processors support HT technology and they have 1000Mhz duplex FSB, i.e. 2000Mhz effective. Also the memory controller is on the CPU itself. That is one of the reasons why inspite of having lower clock speeds than it's intel counterparts, it leads in most of the benchmarks.
You're talking about the HT (HypterTransport) bus, not HyperThreading! It is quite true that this is AMD's weak point - if you start up multiple applications, it cannot properly allocate resources to tasks equally and help in smooth multi-tasking unlike HyperThreading which the Pentium 4's have ! Even the Athlon FX does not have HT.

The onboard memory controller does not compensate for the lower clock speeds ;) , Athlons have always done more work per clock cycle - hence lower clock speeds. The onboard mem controller merely helps in memory bandwidth/latency, so the A64s arent as bandwidth hungry as the P4's and you do not need huge amounts of L2 cache as well.

yogi7272 said:
instead of sony go for benq dw 1640 -- dvd writer ..
The Sony DRU-810A is a Benq DW 1640 OEM drive, so if you are unable to source the Benq drive or if you prefer the neater looking front faceplate of the Sony, then you can opt for it.

digitized said:
The AMD boards right now support upto DDR 400MHz
Actually the Athlon64 E3/E4 stepping cores added support for higher speed memory - 466Mhz/500Mhz DDR. So if you have the memory that supports it, you can make use of it . Of course , relevant BIOS updates are needed for you to activate these higher memory dividers. Have seen this option available on the 704-2BTA bios for DFI nF4 boards and tried it out on my board, and AFAIK its available on the Abit nF4 updated bios'es as well. Not sure about the status of Asus/MSI on this.

paul_007 said:
i want to increase my ram, can i use higher speed ddr ram like 333 MHz , 400 MHz instead of 266 MHz on my motherboard?
You would be better off chucking away the 266Mhz DDR RAM, and getting new 400Mhz DDR RAM. Reason being, even if you get 400Mhz DDR RAM and pair it up with your existing 266mhz RAM, your newer module would downclock from 400Mhz to 266Mhz. Pentium 4's love memory bandwidth, so higher mem clocks would definately be advised !

paul_007

Padawan
You would be better off chucking away the 266Mhz DDR RAM, and getting new 400Mhz DDR RAM. Reason being, even if you get 400Mhz DDR RAM and pair it up with your existing 266mhz RAM, your newer module would downclock from 400Mhz to 266Mhz. Pentium 4's love memory bandwidth, so higher mem clocks would definately be advised !

if i use 400 MHZ ram alone .will it work on my motherboard?

thnx 4 reply :D

Siriusblack

Broken In
Hello :) :) I'm new here. Although I am an avid reader of digit since my class 9 and now presently i 'm in Manipal Institute Of Technology, Manipal . Frndz my problem is that currently i have a pc at home with these specs:
P4 1.5 Ghz Gigabyte Motherboard 128MB Kingston Ram And Savage 4 card onboard . I bought it way back in 1999 at a premium of 54000 along with a Creative Soundblaster card and FPS 1000 speakers too from creative. I am an avid gamer and have played all the recent titles like doom 3 , Prince of Persia :twisted: :twisted:
40 gb7200rpm hdd Asus Cd Rom
Now i want to bring my pc to college and i have these goals:

i. Scrap the motherboard bcoz it dosnt support ddr2
ii. Scrap the graphics card bcoz it SUCZ!!
iii. Improve the amount of ram.
iv. Get A newer and faster processer (optional)

all opinions will be grateful . My budget is around 20-25k
also can u tell what are the possible damages which can occur if transport my comp from home to coll i.e. From Uttaranchal to Karnatka. Should i buy a fresh pc!!! I'm too confused :?: :?: :?: :?:

OP
abhijit_reddevil

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
Siriusblack said:
Hello :) :) I'm new here. Although I am an avid reader of digit since my class 9 and now presently i 'm in Manipal Institute Of Technology, Manipal . Frndz my problem is that currently i have a pc at home with these specs:
P4 1.5 Ghz Gigabyte Motherboard 128MB Kingston Ram And Savage 4 card onboard . I bought it way back in 1999 at a premium of 54000 along with a Creative Soundblaster card and FPS 1000 speakers too from creative. I am an avid gamer and have played all the recent titles like doom 3 , Prince of Persia :twisted: :twisted:
40 gb7200rpm hdd Asus Cd Rom
Now i want to bring my pc to college and i have these goals:

i. Scrap the motherboard bcoz it dosnt support ddr2
ii. Scrap the graphics card bcoz it SUCZ!!
iii. Improve the amount of ram.
iv. Get A newer and faster processer (optional)

all opinions will be grateful . My budget is around 20-25k
also can u tell what are the possible damages which can occur if transport my comp from home to coll i.e. From Uttaranchal to Karnatka. Should i buy a fresh pc!!! I'm too confused :?: :?: :?: :?:

If you want Intel P4:

:!: Processor: Intel P4 3.0Ghz HT (LGA 775) Rs.8250
:!: Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-8I945G (Intel 945G chipset) Rs.6600
:!: RAM: 512MB DDR2 533Mhz (Please check the price)
:!: Graphics card: XFX 6600GT 128MB/Powercolor X800GT (preferable) Rs.9500

:arrow: Total approx. Rs. 27000

If you want AMD Athlon 8) (makes sense):

:!: Processor: Athlon 64 3000+ Venice Rs.6100
:!: Motherboard: Asus A8N-E Rs.5600
:!: RAM: 512MB DDR 400Mhz Rs. 2400
:!: Graphics Card: XFX 6600GT 128MB/Powercolor X800GT (preferable) Rs.9500

:arrow: Total approx. 24000

As I have written previously, the performance difference between DDR and DDR2 is marginal. As you are into gaming, I would highly recommend the second upgrade configuration. 8)

Aniruddh

Ambassador of Buzz
u r going for almost evry important thing so i'll suggest u to go for a AMD rig its any day better than INTEL P4 performance wise as well as its more value for money.and lemme tell u one thig that der is not much of a diff between DDR and DDR2 but DDR2 is very expensive and not worth at this point of time. i m giving u the config of both AMD & INTEL think bout it properly and then get one of this:-
AMD CONFIG-
1-AMD64 3000+/3200+ (939 pin)
2-ASUS A8NE mobo
3-LEADTEK,XFX 6600GT grapix card.
4-1GB DDR 400MHz ram-kingston/Transcend
this shud come in ur budget.

Intel CONFIG-
1-P4 LGA775 630(3.0GHz 2MB L2 Cache)
2-ASUS P5LD2/ASUS P5LD2 deluxe
3-LEADTEK,XFX 6600GT grapix card
4-512 DDR2 667MHz RAM-kingston corsair.
this config mite go beyond ur budget a bit but this is wat u shud b lookin for i suggested this 945p chipset bcoz in the future if u want to then u can go for a dual core proc widout changin the mobo.dont get a ram less than 667MHz as it will b a bottleneck.

Aniruddh

Ambassador of Buzz
@digitized pal dont u think 533MHz ram will b a bottleneck?as 945 chipset support 667MHz then i guess its better for him to get a 667MHz ram instead.and DDR 400MHz and DDR2 533MHz r almost the same performance wise only in 667mhz u can c a diff compared to 400MHz.

@Siriusblack wen u r going for all this stuff includin GPU i suggest u 2 get a decent 400w PSU to hav a safer side otherwise u'll land up scr*wing ur nu rig due to cheap PSU.

Crazy_Eddy

Broken In
paul_007 said:
if i use 400 MHZ ram alone .will it work on my motherboard?
Yep you can use memory rated for any speed and it will work at its maximum speed provided that max speed is supported by your motherboard. What motherboard do you have ?[/quote]

OP
abhijit_reddevil

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
Aniruddh said:
@digitized pal dont u think 533MHz ram will b a bottleneck?as 945 chipset support 667MHz then i guess its better for him to get a 667MHz ram instead.and DDR 400MHz and DDR2 533MHz r almost the same performance wise only in 667mhz u can c a diff compared to 400MHz.

@Siriusblack wen u r going for all this stuff includin GPU i suggest u 2 get a decent 400w PSU to hav a safer side otherwise u'll land up scr*wing ur nu rig due to cheap PSU.

Sorry, I screwed up. :( :oops: He should absolutely get DDR2 667Mhz for that kinda config. Otherwise it will surely be a bottleneck for the mobo. He should check the prices of DDR2 667Mhz, otherwise he can get the AMD config as suggested. 8) . Pal, you get the AMD based machine, that will be far better for your needs.

paul_007

Padawan
Yep you can use memory rated for any speed and it will work at its maximum speed provided that max speed is supported by your motherboard. What motherboard do you have ?
[/quote]

i am havin intel 845 533 Mhz 32 mb onboard graphic motherboard

paul_007

Padawan
Yep you can use memory rated for any speed and it will work at its maximum speed provided that max speed is supported by your motherboard. What motherboard do you have ?
[/quote]

i am havin intel 845 533 Mhz 32 mb onboard graphic motherboard

Crazy_Eddy

Broken In
^ AFAIK, intel 845 based boards support a max of DDR 333 Mhz, but i'm not sure. Either way, no harm in going for 400Mhz DDR memory - there's not much of a price difference.

digitized said:
Sorry, I screwed up. He should absolutely get DDR2 667Mhz for that kinda config. Otherwise it will surely be a bottleneck for the mobo.
DDR2 is a poor joke - the latencies on those things are pathetic ! I'm not sure higher speeds would make a difference.

ashnik

Ambassador of Buzz
Can u suggest a good budget mobo for 2800+ 64bit.

strong onboard graphics, coz no card right now.
PCI express port, so that can be upgraded later.

edit:
The user is Fine arts student and wanna learn Photosop CS2. so suggested not to go for card right now. right or wrong?

Siriusblack

Broken In
:D :D Thanx Aniruddh for the config. But I've been out of touch of the hardware past 7-8 months . Last time i heard AMD processors were generating a lotta heat. should i get an additional cooling soln. with that config

Aniruddh

Ambassador of Buzz
@Siriusblack man this is all B*LLSHIT,who ever told u that AMD has a heating problem then i feel even that fellow is out of touch bout the hardware for a year,there isnt anythin as such infact intel P4 has a major heating issue.AMD is very cool and quite but juz need to get a decent PSU atleast 400w either u go for AMD or INTEL,u can go for powersafe or antec they both r very good antec is better but at the same time its more expensive.

@Crazy_Eddy thats wat i wrote that at this point of time going for a DDR2 ram is juz useless as there isnt much performance diff compared to DDR and at the same time its very expensive.DDR400MHz ram is almost equal to DDR2 533 but 667MHz DDR2 is faster then DDR400MHz but still der isnt much diff,but as he juz wanted intel with DDR2 so i suggested him to go for atleast 667MHz as its a better option.

@ashnik pal i'll highly recommend u to go for a external gpu.so if u will b going for a external gpu u then get a ASUS K8N4-E or ASUS K8N4-E Deluxe which ever comes in ur budget.deluxe version i suggested will b more expensive as it has more features.or if u still want a chipset with decent onboard gpu then u can go for ASUS K8N-VM or MSI K8NGM-V,both has GeForce 6 graphics according to ASUS & MSI site and all the mobo i suggested has a PCIE.these mobo support 754pin as u said u want a mobo for 2800+ which is a 754pin,all 939pin proc start from 3000+.

ashnik

Ambassador of Buzz
My friend wanna buy i-ball laser mouse, but at lamington road he is getting 775/- price and 750/- at andheri. is it ok?

@aniruddh
what do u think of MSI RS480M-IL? i am thinking of finalinsing on it?
can't see MSI K8NGM-V on
*www.msicomputer.com/product/p_list.asp?class=mb&cpu=3
also no ASUS K8N-VM on
*in.asus.com/products2.aspx?l1=3&l2=-1

Aniruddh

Ambassador of Buzz
:arrow: yea ofcourse u can go for MSI RS482/480 mobo its one of the largest selling mobo.its very good and hav a very decent onboard grapix.

:arrow: check this for ASUS K8N-VM *www.asus.com.tw/products4.aspx?l1=3&l2=14&l3=245&model=952&modelmenu=1

:arrow: here is the link for MSI K8NGM-V *www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=701

Aniruddh

Ambassador of Buzz
yups ur mobo do support 400Mhz ram.urs is MSI VIA Apollo KT400 series mobo and it does support DDR 400MHz ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom