Not open for further replies.

CyCo

In the zone
this is think is the final config ...

Processor: AMD Athlon 3500+ 939
Motherboard: Asus A8N-E
Hard disc: 160GB SATA
Graphics card: Radeon X800XL OR 6600GT OR 6800 GS
RAM: 2GB DDR TRANSCEND (533 OR 400 MHz) (1GB X 2)
Optical drives: Sony Dual Layer DVD writer ~ Rs.3500 & Sony DVD-ROM ~ Rs.1300
Keyboard: Microsoft/Logitech multimedia keyboard ~ Rs.450
Mouse: Microsoft/Logitech optical mouse ~ Rs.400
Cabinet: ATX cabinet with 450W SMPS ~ Rs.2500

i already have a 17" monitor + 4 in 1 speakers .. in addition i also have a 120gb + 80 gb hardisk(both non SATA) and a mouse - logitech mx 518 ...
looks like my comp is gonna b hot !!!

3 ques .. does the mobo support 533mhz ram ??
whats a dual layer dvd writer ?? wont the dvds for that b more expensive then ??
and no probs with connecting harddisks non sata as well as sata ??

hummer

Journeyman
1. no the mobo supports ddr@400
2. dual layer dvds can carry 8.5 gb of data. approx 8 gb usable, compared 2 4.5 gb of single layer. yes they r expensive than single layer, but dvd-dl riters can rite single layer 2.
3. ya no probs in connectin hdds.
enjoy ur system

CyCo

In the zone
then can u suggest a mobo that can support ddr 533mhz .. coz i don mind spendin an extra grand or 2 for the MOBO if i can get ram which i so much faster ..

as for cdrom's ive tried sony,samsung,asus,LG and i feel the best outta all of em is LG .. so im gonna go fr that ...

OP
abhijit_reddevil

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
AMD systems don't support 533Mhz RAM as of now. If you want DDR2 RAM, then you have to get an Intel P4 based system and a 945G based motherboard.

For CD-ROM's it's your choice. If I were you I would have bought Sony/Liteon.

hummer

Journeyman
just fr the ram don go fr intel system, u wont feel the performance diff.due2 ddr 2ram
sony
liteon
benq
lg
in that order for optical drives.

madman123

Broken In
quite true, go for the sony dru something 10....its for 3100 and the best out there...double layer as well...but don't bother abt that...a double layer disc won't come under 500 rs or maybe even more...in europe i say a 10 DVD-r double layer pack for 50 euros...so 3000rs...so here its x2...if ur going for intel..arn't the 925xe and the 950 good as well...

hummer

Journeyman
950????there'S no such chipset i think.i think u r talkin about 945 &955.
i m an amd fan. so ill always say AMD ME.
INTEL MAY B GOOD
BUT AMD IS BEST ACROSS THE RANGE. :D :D :D

anirudhasarawgi

Journeyman
@digitized:Is the Leadtek 6600GT extreme SLI Multi-GPU Ready ?

"Leadtek WinFast PX6600 GT TDH Extreme". Is this the fullname of the card ?

what abt MSI 6600GT Diamond ?

How much does the seagate 120GB costs ?

will 300W SMPS work ?

OP
abhijit_reddevil

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
anirudhasarawgi said:
@digitized:Is the Leadtek 6600GT extreme SLI Multi-GPU Ready ?

"Leadtek WinFast PX6600 GT TDH Extreme". Is this the fullname of the card ?

what abt MSI 6600GT Diamond ?

How much does the seagate 120GB costs ?

will 300W SMPS work ?

All the info about the Leadtek Winfast PX6600GT TDH extreme here:

*www.leadtek.com/3d_graphic/winfast_px6600_gttdhextreme_2.html

FYI, it is SLI multi GPU ready so that if you have a SLI motherboard, then you can add another same card to your system if you wish, later.

The MSI 6600GT Diamond is also great, overclockable and offers a good value for money. Infact Tomshardware has benchmarked it here.

*graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050404/index.html

All the great 6600GT's are tested and their results are published here.

If you want SLI setup, I suggest you get at least a 400W SMPS (450/500 recommended).

CyCo

In the zone
hey

ive just been doin a bit of research on the graphics cards ...

pls tell me if my order of priority is correct

ATI X800 XT

ATI X800 XL

ATI X800 PRO

LEADTEK 6800GS

6600GT

1 MORE QUESTION ..

LIKE LEADTEK XFX ASUS AND ALL MANUFACTURE THE NVIDIA CHIPSET ... WHO ARE THE MANUFACTURERS FOR ATI AND WHICH ARE THE BEST ??

thanks ..

OP
abhijit_reddevil

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
@Cyco: Your order for graphics cards is absolutely correct from the performance point of view, although I wouldn't say the same about the price, though.

Regarding manufacturers of ATI chipset, there is original ATI OEM, there is Powercolor, Sapphire, Asus, Gigabyte, MSI and many more. All of them are good, but ATI OEM is the best. Next comes Asus, Powercolor, Gigabyte, Sapphire, MSI in that order. This is purely my opinion, other people might differ.

One of the best manufacturers of Nvidia graphics cards are still not available in India. I feel BFG and eVGA are the best.

CyCo

In the zone
a note on the graphics card end ..

what is the diff between clock speed and memory speed ??
(is it like the same diff between a processor and RAM ?)
which is more imp ??
and is memory bandwidth very important ??

see *www.a1-electronics.net/Graphics_Cards/GeForce/2005/Nvidia_Guide_pg2.shtml

see the 6600gt its clock and memory speed is the highest compared to the x800 series BUT the memory bandwidth is half ...

and most important .. if i go in for the a8n series mobo then whd i get and AGP or a PCI E card ??

ok ... now for the mobo

acc to the prices on deltapage .. the a8n-sli mobo is ony for 2000 bucks more ...

so doesnt it make sense that i go for a a8n-sli mobo instead of a8n-e as in the sli i can later put another graphis card if i want to but cant in a8n-e

check out :
*www.a1-electronics.net/AMD_Section/Mobos/2005/Asus_A8N-E_Sept.shtml
*www.a1-electronics.net/AMD_Section/Mobos/2005/939-1st/Asus_A8N-SLI-Deluxe_Jan.shtml
*www.a1-electronics.net/AMD_Section/Mobos/2005/Chipset_guide_Aug.shtml

now for the ram

i asked him for kingston .. he told me that winchester wasnt available .. he did ask me about some TWINMOS ram (?) .. i told him to get me knigston otherwise transcend ...

am goin for the liteon dual layer dvd writer ..
and the mouse: logitech mx 518 is only for 1850 !! in muscat it is for Rs.4500 !!!!
i cant decide which mousepad to get for this mouse (yes ! i am a hardcore gamer ... ) pls advise ... will try and get Steelpad QcK+

thanks for the help guys .. shd get 2 initial quotes by tomo ...
special thanks to digitized ...

OP
abhijit_reddevil

abhijit_reddevil

Manchester United
CyCo said:
a note on the graphics card end ..

what is the diff between clock speed and memory speed ??
(is it like the same diff between a processor and RAM ?)
which is more imp ??
and is memory bandwidth very important ??

see *www.a1-electronics.net/Graphics_Cards/GeForce/2005/Nvidia_Guide_pg2.shtml

see the 6600gt its clock and memory speed is the highest compared to the x800 series BUT the memory bandwidth is half ...

and most important .. if i go in for the a8n series mobo then whd i get and AGP or a PCI E card ??

ok ... now for the mobo

acc to the prices on deltapage .. the a8n-sli mobo is ony for 2000 bucks more ...

so doesnt it make sense that i go for a a8n-sli mobo instead of a8n-e as in the sli i can later put another graphis card if i want to but cant in a8n-e

check out :
*www.a1-electronics.net/AMD_Section/Mobos/2005/Asus_A8N-E_Sept.shtml
*www.a1-electronics.net/AMD_Section/Mobos/2005/939-1st/Asus_A8N-SLI-Deluxe_Jan.shtml
*www.a1-electronics.net/AMD_Section/Mobos/2005/Chipset_guide_Aug.shtml

now for the ram

i asked him for kingston .. he told me that winchester wasnt available .. he did ask me about some TWINMOS ram (?) .. i told him to get me knigston otherwise transcend ...

am goin for the liteon dual layer dvd writer ..
and the mouse: logitech mx 518 is only for 1850 !! in muscat it is for Rs.4500 !!!!
i cant decide which mousepad to get for this mouse (yes ! i am a hardcore gamer ... ) pls advise ... will try and get Steelpad QcK+

thanks for the help guys .. shd get 2 initial quotes by tomo ...
special thanks to digitized ...

:oops: Oh, you are getting me embarrassed!!! :wink: Anyway, I am confused regarding winchester and Twinmos/Kingston. Two are altogether different things. How can the both be discussed regarding the same subject. Winchester is the name of a AMD processor core, as far as I know. Twinmos/Kingston is the name of RAM manufacturing company. It is good, never heard bad complaints about it. It is also overclocking friendly to some extent. But my first preference would be kingston/corsair/transcend. They are easily available and hence support is also good. Don't know why your dealer friend does not have these.

Getting SLI mobo is your choice. If you really want another graphics card down the line, then get it. My opinion regarding SLI performance is: 2X6600GT=6800GT, 2X6800GT=6800Ultra, 2X7800GT=7800GTX and so on. If SLI setup, then get A8N-SLI. And all A8N series mobos have PCI-express slot(s).

Logitech MX518 is the best gaming mouse. Try and get it.

Regarding core and memory fundas, others might be able to give you some idea. I do not have much idea except that the higher the speeds, the greater the performance. Of course memory interface (128-bit, 256-bit) also plays a part. It is because of this reason perhaps that a card with lower speeds but having 256-bit memory (6800GT, 350/700(?)) leads in benchmark scores over one with higher speeds but 128-bit interface (6600GT, 500/1000).

Waiting for others to contribute... :?:

Ankur Gupta

Wandering in time...
How are the performances and prices of AMD 3800 X2 and AMD 4200 X2.Are these dual core processors worth going for?does AMD 3800 X2 fare better thn AMD 4000+?

CyCo

In the zone
the site (a1) says that 2 cards makes it better by something like 61% .. but i just wanted to for the sli board as it gives some option for the future ... with the a8n-e there is no possibilty .. just a replacement ...

i searched online and well well well ...
i came up with this page
*www.pantherproducts.co.uk/Articles/What_is/What_is_Graphics.shtml

it says that memory bandwidth is the most imp !!!
now compare the x800xl with 6600gt
(taken from the pages in my last post)

name pipelines coreclock memclock membus memband cost

x800xl 16 400 Mhz 500 Mhz 256bits 32 GB/s 16k

6600gt 8 500 Mhz 500 Mhz 128bits 16GB/s 26k

well we can see which one is better aint it ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom