All About Wordpress - Themes, Plugins, Tips and Tweaks

Do you have a Self-Hosted Wordpress Blog ?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

adi007

Youngling
5 mins? I use Instant Upgrade and it takes hardly 30 seconds. :D

By the way, Chris pearson released a Theme: Thesis . Is it good? Planning to buy a change my theme for sometime now...
WPAU has carried out task like backup of the database,backup of web space etc,. before up gradation....and moreover i choose the manual method in it not the automatic one...

is there any live demo of thesis avilable..?

Last edited:

adi007

Youngling
Another small tutorial from me...:)
Wanna create a Random post option in your wordpress blog just like Random article option in Wikipedia…..?

*img180.imageshack.us/img180/3091/randomad2.png​

Then read this small tut…..

* In order to have random post or Random article facility in the wordpress powered blogs,you need to download the Random Redirect plugin.
Link: *downloads.wordpress.org/plugin/random-redirect.zip

*Activate the plugin

*The plugin will create a link to blogurl/?random which will redirect to a random post of your blog.For example in case of my blog the link will be *blog.aditech.info/?random Now we have to create make use of this link. This method will differ from theme to theme but the important point is the random post will be given at the link blogurl/?random.In almost all the themes there will be nav_menu.php file.Edit this file in the Theme editor and add the following lines

Code:
<li><a <?php if (is_page('?random')) echo('class="current" '); ?>href="<?php bloginfo('url'); ?>/?random">Random post</a>

That’s it…:)
Hope you liked this small tutorial…:)
Source

GR8 tut DD you are always D Best !!!
^^ adi, how'd ya get a .info domain? free or what? please tell me if it's less than 1000 a year, i don't need hosting... just redirection. :D

OP
DigitalDude

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
^^^
at present .info is Rs.99/- for first year and then Rs.300+ for subsequent years..

but I would advise to go for a .com itself as you'll be paying the same Rs.300+ per year and also .com has good respect than .info ;)

adi went for .info probably because .com is not available I guess :D

_

adi007

Youngling
@hari_sanker_r:Thanks for the compliments..

i brought the domain and webspace from Cyrus_the_virus for one year...
Refer the thread *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=74717
for more info

If you just want the domain then be quick coz in *www.godaddy.com/ you will get the .info domain for 1$(39 or 40 rs) for first year...It's their new .info promotion scheme...:)

Don't think that .info is inferior with respect to .com...
Just google for "upload shoutbox in wordpress" ...You will find my site in the first result..I came to know about this from Awstats :cool:

But i must say that .info is not as famous as .com...but i am sure it will be coz allmost all names and keywords in .com has already been alloated...

Hey i just forget to tell,...you will get .co.cc redirection for free
visit *www.co.cc/
ex:i have made *www.adiworld.co.cc/ for free..check it out...

But i prefer .info or .com...
@Digitaldude:Yup that's the second reason i opted for .info coz aditech.com is already taken...

Last edited:

adi007

Youngling
Another small tip from me
The mistake in made with my RSS feeds…

*img377.imageshack.us/img377/5663/resizeofrssboiteff3.png​
RSS feeds are a must have feature in any blog or site.Now-a-days no one is having enough time to manually navigate to their favorite web blogs or sites in order to view new or updated articles.

I added the RSS feature using feedburner.I got nearly 15-20 Subscribers within one week of the blog launch itself.I was extremely happy but this happiness didn’t lasted too long.Gradually the number of subscribers went on decreasing.I wished to know why this is happening.So i subscribed into my own feeds.

Within minutes i came to know where i had gone wrong.My feeds were partial.The feeds were like this
Important instructions for programs using math.h library function

Posted: 23 Mar 2008 10:14 AM CDT
if your program uses math.h header file then sometimes the compilation will lead to errors.In such cases you have to suffix -lm to the compilation file command Usage cc filename.c -lm lm means link mathematical header file.Note that this step is not always required use it only if your program is correct and compilation is leading to errors. and […]

I must say that partial feeds are worthless.It is better that the site or blog has no feeds feature at all instead of giving partial feeds.

The default selection of feeds is partial itself.You need to change it.To change it go to Options(Settings)>>Reading in WP admin menu.Change the option to Full Text as show in the screenshot

*img521.imageshack.us/img521/5164/fullfeedsmr5.png​

Another important note:If your use <!–more–> in your posts then the full feeds will have just the contents before <!–more–>To avoid this you need to use the plugin Full Text Feed
Plugin link: *wordpress.org/extend/plugins/full-text-feed/

But if you are using Wordpress 2.5(like me) then there is no necessity for this plugin coz this nasty feature has been corrected in wp 2.5

Hope you will learn from my mistake and make your feeds full..
I just hope that i can again get those RSS subscribers back….
If you like this small tip then please subscribe to my full rss feeds…..

Source

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
my turn my turn to suggest some plugins

Manan said:
The ones I have installed so far:

Embedded Video Link - A plugin to integrate various video links as videos in your blog posts. It supports almost all video portals and most commonly video formats. (Download)

Fotobook - Merges your Facebook albums in your blog, adds a 'Photos' link to your navigation bar and pulls images from your Facebook account. It's pretty customizable you can choose the albums to show or hide. (Download)

Homepage Excerpts - Shows a user-defined excerpt of posts on the home page or a defined no. of full posts on the Home Page, makes the home page look neat IMHO. I have set it to show only the latest post in full and excerpts of all others. (Download)

Redirectify
- Adds external links to your navigation bar, really helpful. (Download)

uBerdose (All in SEO Pack) - Search Engine Optimization Pack, I have not fiddled with it so cant say much about it, but if it does what it is supposed to then it rocks. (Download) Thank You Ravi for this one.

Twitter Updater - If you don't know Twitter - I won't blame you, none the less Twitter is an update service that will send users (who have setup a twitter account in their IMs) a message whenever you update your status on the Twitter site, this service is very helpful for bloggers and blog readers. Readers can simply follow you - a blogger's updates and so whenever you - the blogger publishes a new post the people who follow your updates will get a IM on their chat client with the title and a link to the new article.
  • Download Twitter Updater

OP
DigitalDude

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
I use the foll. plugins in most of my blogs in addition to a few more depending on the blog :D

*img505.imageshack.us/img505/2522/blogpluginsvj1.th.jpg

_

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Yesterday I was scrolling through "Fastrack to Blogging", wherein I encountered a para saying,

"For starters,there are 53 themes to choose under the presentation tab.For those knowing CSS,the paid version of WP allows the use of custon CSS file. Free service users cannot use a custom CSS file, but the effects can be previewed. "

Can you plz explain me the above line?

I downloaded a WP theme from net & it was in a .zip containing some .php files & a .CSS file.I want to use it for my WP blog.Can it be used?? :confused:
I am using Free WP account,not paid.

The above confused me :confused:

OP
DigitalDude

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
^^^^
*faq.wordpress.com/2006/05/07/wordpresscom-vs-wordpressorg/

you can't upload your own themes and plugins for wordpress.com it is just a free blog hosting service by Automattic (wordpress's parent company) using the wordpress.org software... wordpress.com blogs doesnot have the flexibility like blogspot.com

while this thread is for using the wordpress.org software to host our own blog using our own webhosting and domain name...

-

Last edited:

Cool G5

Conversation Architect
Thanks for the link, it was informative.
So now I am considering moving to a host.I want only a Free one.
Which host do you guys use?

OP
DigitalDude

DigitalDude

PhotonAttack
Most of us are on paid hosting... You can buy cheap hosting from Ravi, ahref or cyrus_the_virus in this forum itself :D

btw if you want just free hosts, you will again get a sub domain only. refer the thread for creating free forums by gigacore it has some free hosts.

getting a good domain name and hosting is advisable than going for free hosting ;) maybe you can try some free hosting for some time and then move onto a paid hosting...

_

Last edited:

iMav

The Devil's Advocate
hey guys any plugin that will show only post titles and link to the corresponding post on the category page

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom