Alienware v/s Custom Rig

Status
Not open for further replies.

patrick4

Chief
Folks, i am conflicted between buying an alienware m17x Laptop or building my own custom rig.

I pay 1.8 lacs for the m17x and i get the below..

Intel i7 core 2860 QM
580m GTX Nvidia 2gb
16 GB Ram DDR3 (1333mz)
17" full HD screen (1080p) with 3d and glasses
250 SSD and 500 HDD
Blu Ray Read only
Standard sound and netwrok cards (with chipset)
3 yrs complete warranty.. (even if i throw it off my roof, they will come and replace it)

At almost 4kg it can not be used as a loptop, however it is more mobile then a rig..

I am sure i can get a much better config if i build my own rig, but is it worth going for something more powerful? I would go with the rig only if there is atleast 20% better specs.

Primary use would be for gaming. Expected lifespan is 3 years, will opt for a new configuration after that.

PS - since i have the warranty with the AW, i have the option of overclocking..

abirthedevil

In the zone
spec wise custom/assembled rig would be far more powerful so you should just ask yourself do u want mobility or pure power?

pramudit

Gaming hardcore
alienware-looks, neighbours envy, lan party...
custom built-performance, looks if you can mod it, your full freedom of choice of components...

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Custom rig of same price would outperform it anyway. But yeah the Alienware is the envy of everyone. Stands out In a crowd :)

Souro_Ray

In the zone
Overclocking a heavy duty laptop like an Alienware is not recommended, especially with that big ass GPU inside! The i7 with its HT runs hot enough as it is on stock.

Please fill this up, so we can help you better: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-compon...build-questionnaire-template.html#post1542847

OP
patrick4

patrick4

Chief
would this AW build still be a mid range gaming laptop in 3 years?? i want to be able to play all the latest games, without compatibility issues.. so my real doubt here is, will i really require more power than that??

Overclocking a heavy duty laptop like an Alienware is not recommended, especially with that big ass GPU inside! The i7 with its HT runs hot enough as it is on stock.

Yep, i have read a lot about the heating.. but i the AW represntative gave me a lot of gyan about new copper wiring technology which absorbs the heat.. i know its a load of bullshit, but do you know any workaround to the heating issues?

$$Lionking$$

In the zone
x86 performance wise ur laptop is going to be ok in 3 years time not lagging behind so much... but on the gpu side will definitely hurt a lot in 3 years time... worst part will be u wont be able to upgrade also coz its a lappy...

also a ~100k custom rig will out perform this AW lappy.. dont really see value in this...

Souro_Ray

In the zone
What Lionking said is true. The i7 performance will be good enough to last you, but your upgrading options are mostly shut.

If you want a desktop replacement unit, the AW laptop is an option because of its portability. But if you want a desktop, you can knock about 1Lakh off your bill and get a kickass rig!

OP
patrick4

patrick4

Chief
alright, can someone please post a rig configured at ~ 180 - 200k.. if such a thread already exists can you pls post a link here ( i tried searching but i get a lot of irrelevent results).

also there are the dell workstations which a priced much higher, any reviews or opinions on that? are those only for business use or can i play games on those??

Cilus

laborare est orare
Check here: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-components-configurations/150819-pc-buying-guide-2012-q1.html

the1337est

Hardcore Gamer
Alienware catches everyone's eyes. Great looks, great performance. On the other hand a cheaper custom rig can really outperform it in performance and possibly compete AW in looks, if you spend a fair bit.
TBH, I've never been a fan of gaming laptops, I mean they look good, but in my opinion laptops are just not for gaming :D

Bro tip: Go for a custom rig and buy a bike with the money saved. Lol!

Tarun

In the zone
you can get a 7970 CF with a i5 2500k and a gene z/Gen3 and 8GB RAM and a 850watts PSU all in a HAF 922 ;)

Sarath

iDota
1. You will get more from your moneys worth if you go for a custom build

2. You will get better service from Alienware (Dell) as they give a comprehensive warranty as against you in a custom build, first identifying where the problem is and then going in for specific service.

3. Alienware - their own tweaking and modifying means they have got all the components which complement each other, more so with regards to airflow etc. Custom means you can do the same with little or more effort.

4. Alienware looks cooler and no matter how much more cooler and expensive your custom rig is, alienware has more bragability

Each has it's own strengths but customs do take a lead.

doomgiver

Warframe
OP can get a highend gaming pc for 100k & spend the rest on purchasing an Alienware MX14 (80-85k) :smile:

this.
i doubt that a 200k rig is possible, unless you are adding several SSD's in RAID and using 4 GPU's :)

also, a 100k rig will play near about EVERY game at HD resolution at maxed settings, infact, get 2 monitors, to take full advantage of your rig.

pramudit

Gaming hardcore
this.
i doubt that a 200k rig is possible, unless you are adding several SSD's in RAID and using 4 GPU's :)

also, a 100k rig will play near about EVERY game at HD resolution at maxed settings, infact, get 2 monitors, to take full advantage of your rig.

i think you read 200k in place of 100k in sam's thread....

doomgiver

Warframe
^^ thats 2 7970's, and multiple hdd's, crazy expensive psu/case and a exorbitant processor.

all for what? a minor increase in "visible" performance?
that is a "show-off" rig
at performance levels like that, it does not matter if you are getting 300 fps or 200 fps, if all you gonna do is game.

i think you read 200k in place of 100k in sam's thread....

im responding to op's budget here.

but i wholly agree with sam here.
it'd be the best for the op guy to invest in a beastly rig, and a nice portable gaming laptop for those lan parties, best of both worlds.

OP
patrick4

patrick4

Chief
it'd be the best for the op guy to invest in a beastly rig, and a nice portable gaming laptop for those lan parties, best of both worlds.

I already own a dell xps 15, which serves me good for the lan parties (primarily CS, DoTA and MMOs)

But yea, i will go for a 100-120k rig and spend the rest on a 60" sony led.. gaming will be awesome right?? this will also be a great fit for my consoles (xbox, ps3)

If i get my sales bonus this quarter i will also sound proof my apartment and go for a kick ass sound system..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom