Alert- phishing E-mail asks to update Outlook

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravi_9793

TechTin.com
TrendMicro’s TrendLabs identified a phishing e-mail message (see below) which asked the recipient to update Microsoft Outlook and Outlook Express. Here’s how the e-mail message starts out:

“Microsoft has released an update for Microsoft Outlook/Outlook Express. This update is critical and provides you with the latest version of the Microsoft Outlook/Outlook Express and offers the highest levels of stability and security.”

*image.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/outlook(3).jpg

On a scale of one to 10 the authenticity of this scam e-mail is a nine. It’s very realistic, even the Contact Us, Privacy Statement, and Terms of Use active links direct you to the appropriate Microsoft Web pages.

There’s no clear cut solution other than to not click on any active link. That’s not always possible though. In which case, please use caution and try the tips I suggested in my linked article.

*www.examiner.com/x-14651-Minneapol...m6d23-Email-asks-to-update-Outlook-Dont-do-it

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use thunderbird :p & for phishing scams you can get numerous plugin/addons to protect yourself :p

din

Tribal Boy
I received this email many times recently ! Emails went to junk folder automatically, and I guessed it is phishing.

But in this case, there is a big chance that a lot of people believe it, I mean it looks very realistic in nature, with the other links goes to MS site correctly !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom