Airtel opposes net neutrality; asks Google, Facebook to share profits

Your opinion about net neutrality

• ISPs are right.

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • ISPs are wrong. We are paying for the connection already.

Votes: 47 88.7%
  • This allow us to have low priced internet access.

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Will create an internet of casts/classes.

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • I have something else to say.

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

kisame

King of Heroes
Who voted in favour of ISPs??

F**k Airtel for pulling a joke like this.They should improve their infrastructure and not b**ch.Already they are no. 2 telecom in India.Is there no end to their greed??

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin

F**k Airtel for pulling a joke like this.They should improve their infrastructure and not b**ch.Already they are no. 2 telecom in India.Is there no end to their greed??

Probably some employees of airtel among us.

KDroid

Cyborg Agent

And No.5 in the World. :|

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
voted ISPs were right

there are too many one sided comments instead of even understanding what is going on, all this is not airtel's idea, this came up in an international conference of mobile ISPs almost two years ago, had to dig it up but here it is, its like fakebook and google are parasites on the cellular network

operators including France Telecom SA, Telecom Italia SpA and Vodafone Group Plc want a new deal that would require content providers like Apple and Google to pay fees linked to usage

Network investment: Apple, Google to pay - Times Of India

read article for reasons

kisame

King of Heroes
^You cant compare India to Europe.Internet penetration in India is around 10%.
And that news is 2 years old.I searched and came to conclusion that European operators were not able force Google,Apple to share revenues.
India's Internet population small, but powerful on social | ZDNet
Broadband Penetration in India [State-wise Report]
Granted these are old results but they say a lot.Airtel is not under same type of pressure as those in Europe.

Last edited:

KDroid

Cyborg Agent
It doesn't matter whose idea it is. It is lame.

In this way, the Mobile Manufacturers will also start demanding their share of profit from the telecom comapnies. Laptop/PC Manufactureres will start demanding share of profit from Microsoft. Would that be Right?

They are not providing us internet connection for nothing.

voted ISPs were right

there are too many one sided comments instead of even understanding what is going on, all this is not airtel's idea, this came up in an international conference of mobile ISPs almost two years ago, had to dig it up but here it is, its like fakebook and google are parasites on the cellular network

Network investment: Apple, Google to pay - Times Of India

read article for reasons

I want your side of the argument to the question I'm raising below:

How can the ISPs claim to be "affected" by excess traffic when they charge for bandwidth already ? They greedily charge for every last GB (and then throttle speeds to very low levels) and all this is covered by the amount the user pays.

If a user has a low 1GB data cap and he exceeds it after using too much of facebook and youtube, (taking BSNL's example) he pays a good amount for every MB consumed and the ISP (BSNL) profits handsomely. So how can they expect additional money from facebook and youtube ? That is just plain greediness.

I like to use fun2sh's argument here. Autorickshaw or Taxi operators already charge high fares to ferry people to airports and/or malls. So claiming that high demand to get to airports and/or malls is affecting their infrastructure is ridiculous. If the KMs to travel is high the user pays that much as well. :-?

From what I can see, the only way ISPs would be affected is if they are actually overselling bandwidth and popularity of certain sites is reducing their chance to oversell. And IMHO overselling without informing the users is unethical to begin with.

rider

as Kratos
Airtel is the worst in broadband.. still providing only 256kbps on unlimited connection.

Grow up!! Airtel.. Aukad mai raho

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
"How can the ISPs claim to be "affected" by excess traffic when they charge for bandwidth already ?"
ok will try to explain this part. there is bandwidth allocated for specific use. Now, the amount of usage can exceed the amount of planned bandwidth... this is like trucks being overloaded messing up the roads, or tables in restaurants occupied by one guy, or flights being overbooked, or concert and theater tickets that have black markets. All of this happens in the digital environment. There is so much you have planned for, and so much use that occurs.

now these things use bandwidth continuously. it's more or less like the device is constantly sending things back and forth to the internet. at some point it stops making economic sense for air to carry this kinds of signals. this is a kind of pollution. we are not at a flash point yet, doing some quick calculation europe has 8 zeroes in it's population, we have 9. 10% of us is the same order of magnitude as them. their penetration is above 100% so that put's them in the same ballpark as us.

your phone line can charge you your cable bill. not done yet. that's sent over the air. that is the problem. there is not enough airspace for all these things. It's ISPs saying early on that they will not be able to viably support this kind of usage.

pranav0091

I am not an Owl
^
That's why I am paying them. To provide me bandwidth. I dont get your point, unless net connectivity is free, which its not.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^140% penetration in india, gonna happen some time
every single mobile is constantly sending social networking updates, recieving email and messenger, watching youtube, downloading ebooks and listening to internet radio
what is the kind of infrastructure needed for this? who should pay for it?

bubusam13

Human
we pay for 3G plans right. A shopkeeper must be happy when he gets more customer. May be he will now need some helper whom he have to pay salary but then also he is in profit.

Like that mobile companies may have to setup good infrastructure, but they are getting customers right.

E,g: I before never used internet on my cell but now I pay monthly for 3G since I got my android. So they are getting paid and android ads one more 3G customer to them.

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
We pay them enough, but the infrastructure still sucks here. Let them first provide good infrastructure and abolish FUPs, then demand compensation for maintenance/bandwidth.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
We pay them enough, but the infrastructure still sucks here. Let them first provide good infrastructure and abolish FUPs, then demand compensation for maintenance/bandwidth.
yes. how about we invite those who stand to benefit most from the infrastructure to invest in it, this is a win-win proposition, don't know where the conflict is coming from.

you guys have heard of google fiber right? Maybe they will do something similar with mobile

freshseasons

King of my own Castle
Hmm how about this scenario. Airtel insists and puts it foot down that Google, Facebook, Gmail bear the infrastructure cost.

Google, Facebook block their services on Airtel ISP in retaliation.

Seriously how may of us will want Airtel bandwidth then without google, Facebook or Gmail.

Doesn't look quite winning situation for Airtel then. Beg , Invite then can. Insist ,Force forget !

OP
sling-shot

sling-shot

Wise Old Owl
how about we invite those who stand to benefit most from the infrastructure to invest in it, this is a win-win proposition,

Investing and paying are two entirely different things. Here AirTel is not asking for investment. I believe if it was an investment, Google or Facebook might be more than happy to do it. In an investment, one expects returns as in dividend.

akkib89

Broken In
I earlier thought that just Reliace was ****ed up, seems Airtel doesn't want to fall behind Reliance in ****ing things up.

Top Bottom