Airtel opposes net neutrality; asks Google, Facebook to share profits

Your opinion about net neutrality

• ISPs are right.

Votes: 1 1.9%
  • ISPs are wrong. We are paying for the connection already.

Votes: 47 88.7%
  • This allow us to have low priced internet access.

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • Will create an internet of casts/classes.

Votes: 3 5.7%
  • I have something else to say.

Votes: 1 1.9%

• Total voters

Desmond

Destroy Erase Improve
Staff member
Admin
yes. how about we invite those who stand to benefit most from the infrastructure to invest in it, this is a win-win proposition, don't know where the conflict is coming from.

you guys have heard of google fiber right? Maybe they will do something similar with mobile

But how many ISPs will they have to "please"? If they appease Airtel, all other ISPs will follow suit.

But if it can help abolish FUP, then I think we can work something out. :p

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
let's say 5 people start watching a 20 minute youtube video. they do this with a gap of three minutes. after 15 minutes there are 5 people watching a 20 minute youtube video. now the network can stream in in real time, or at whatever bitrate, or just send the whole darn thing in the first 20 seconds. this means every three minutes and 20 seconds, the users gets the file, and the network is done communicating with them. in the first scenario, at the end of fiteen minutes, the network is tied to five devices, and sending them the video in teh diff bandwidth of each device. the benefit of the last scenario is the amount of devices the network is tied to, and the amount of time it is doing this for. this option is not considered because of speed limits, without these, if just the content is billed, then the network can respond when and where there is demand, instead of responding slowly over time to all the demand, at all those specified rates. Podcasts are at times preferred to streaming for this reason.

In any case why not option 3? When have we ever not voted with our wallets? This might make net cheaper for us

Sarath

iDota
I do not see any merit in how airtel can demand money from google, FB etc

In fact the irony is that it's they who should be charging for providing a search engine and a social interaction online and such...

I am already buying a packet of data worth 1800 for 75gb per month. This is a fixed amount, no matter how I spend it. I do not see how using 40% of my bandwidth suddenly causes infrastructure problems for airtel. If anything they are under prepared for future.

A more legitimate demand would be asking Google, FB, twit to set up servers in India (which I presume they partly have) which will save airtel and other ISP s from using the previous and expensive undersea data lines and thus save loads of money. As consumers we benefit from micro milliseconds shaved between each pages.

NoasArcAngel

Wise Old Owl
It is absolutely ridiculous for Airtel to even voice such a claim.

If airtel wants operating profits from facebook and google, might as well start asking every website its users visit for money to visit them.

Either Airtel is going bankrupt or Mr. Bharti got a kick in the aee sss ss because of his "videshi" telecom ventures. and he is milking his losses out from facebook and google.

and there is no reason why airtel is complaining. they are already probably making huge gains by limiting data.

Another thing people dont understand is that the ISP's pay for the speed and not for the data you download. Once this gets more publicized hopefully people will be able to make right decisions.

someone please visit this : Hayai | India's Fastest Broadband

i think the plans are pretty good. although as far as i know its only in bombay though .

Top Bottom