Ainol Novo 7 Aurora II - Short Review

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I haven't tested much on earphones, cause my dad uses the tablet. will test it tonight with my Twinwoofers

Hrishi

well , thanks for asking.
If possible , "Someday-Flypsyde" , "FireFlies-Owl Cities" , "Let It go- Linkin Park : Transformers 3 " , "Hush-Fired Up : NFS Most Wanted SoundTrack" .

You can check these sound tracks for the sound quality reproduction in earphones. Since , they sound quite good in my TwinWoofer and N95-2[died yesterday].

Thanks , again.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
Audio output is okay, I watched the "High Quality" youtube videos and only Someday and Fireflies sounded good, others were just fine.

androidlover

Right off the assembly line
It'll be very difficult finding Ainol tabs in India. You can try Ainol India - Sellers of Ainol Novo 7 Tablets in India though.

Hello All,

I was glued on to this post and though of sharing my experience as I have gone through the complete process very recently. The item was delivered to me on 15th September by Ainol India (Ainol India - Sellers of Ainol Novo 7 Tablets in India) and have started to love this wonderful tab- Ainol Aurora II.

Pre-Purchase

I have been using Ainol Tornado from May, 2012 and always wanted to upgrade to dual core processor from Ainol only as they had a great community support. Initially I was confused between Aurora II and ELf II with their almost identical specs. After few days of research on internet and other user reviews I zeroed down to Aurora II. For prices I had compared many international and Chinese websites but the biggest issue was the ASS, although I had a issueless experience with Tornado but still ASS was tickling me somewhere.
The best price from the international website I got was USD 110 but on D-Day when I sat to complete the transaction I realized that it was just a teaser and shipping cost (DHL / Fedex) only comes in the last stage before making the payment, and realized that the price is USD 139 (with sleeve case + screen protector + shipping) - Oops, had to drop the idea at that moment and was back to square one as my calculations of only paying USD 109 went wrong. After a day or two, On my casual browsing I came across this site called (Ainol India - Sellers of Ainol Novo 7 Tablets in India) where the same was selling at Rs. 7990/- shipped + 1 year warranty with service support from Mumbai itself. I was little skeptical initially and decided to call them to confirm, post my discussion with them and little negotiation on OTG and Sleeve, I went for it. I received the item on Saturday, 16th September and have again fallen in love with Ainol.

Purchase

I guess, was a little lucky there and got the item at the price compared to the international website that too without any custom hassles and 'assumingly' - no service issues from this seller in future. I was told that they will take 48 Hrs post the confirmation of the payment and the item was shipped as per the commitment through First Flight and got the item very next day around 6 PM. I liked the overall buying experience and would recommend the seller.
However, I am not sure how the service will be given but even than I would say it was a safe purchase compared to buying from international website where you live in uncertainty.

Post Purcahse
The chinese apps for non Chinese customers are very scary but once that is negotiated and perhaps disabled, it leaves the tablet open for a juicy experience. The resolution is awesome and the tablet itself is very sleek. For Indian users, it would help to know that it readily connects to the Huawei (E1731) Airtel dongle using the OTG cable and what more, if location services are enabled in settings, it can even show your current position on Google maps (perhaps using AGPS) and therefore one can manage basic navigation without needing an external GPS chip. Be sure to take a case for this tab to carry it whereever you want. More reviews will follow once I have an opportunity to download and install a few applications which I plan next weekend. Overall a 5 star experience and my love and trust in Ainol Tablets have doubled.

nebula

Broken In
what version of firmware is used please post a link....:)
Hey Guys,
I recently purchased a Ainol Novo 7 Aurora II Tablet as a gift for my dad and here is a quick review.

Sorry for Mr. Blurry Cam.. My camera was not with me at the time of writing .. also I promised to post this review by Sunday i.e., today :)

Price: Varies from site to site.. I bought it from MP4Nation at $149 (Rs. 8583.78) through sale. It came with free FexEx 2 day shipping. But currently MP4Nation had removed the sale and now its priced at $169. there are other sites which offer at $150 range..

Specs picked from MP4 Nation.

Box content.

*i.imgur.com/0vdlQ.jpg

Build Quality and feel:
Completely plastic. but doesn't feel cheap at all. Buttons are fine too. The body is a finger print magnet. The edged and corners are rounded and smooth so its comfortable to hold. I feel its a little heavy.
*i.imgur.com/MpAmi.jpg

Hardware:
Screen: What interested me in this tablet was the screen resolution. it was better than other tablets which I was shortlisting. It used a 7" 1024x600 LG IPS screen.
The text looks crisp and graphics looks quite good. The video quality is also crisp, I was very surprised with the screen and happy too. The viewing angle is excellent, previously when our family used to see some photographs on our laptop we always had to adjust the LCD screen. this is not the case in this tablet. Downside is that I am feeling it has a touch issue not major but it is annoying sometime , I suspect the screen protector which was pre applied, I will get a new screen protector and try..

Storage:
This has 1GB ROM(?) , 1GM RAM, 16GB internal memory (shows 13.2 GB on system) , also there is a slot to insert a MicroSD card up to 32GB.
Android differentiates these storage memory as Internal SD Card and External SD Card.

Processor & GFX:
The tablet feels smooth and very responsive(except for some touch issues as mentioned above). apps load fast; no hiccups ,browsers render pages just fine. Games - well I haven't played any large games (shooters etc), but regular low footprint games play fine.

OS/Software
Out of box the Aurora II comes installed with Android ICS 4.0.3, Flash is present and works on browsers. the first thing you need to do when you buy this tab is to change the firmware.. There are many issues when it comes to Playstore. you wont be able to download much apps. IMDB for example didn't even allow me to download. I found one Firmware thanks to aniket.cain, and it worked perfectly. Play store works and what ever app I tried to install for installed and worked too. some Indian Apps kept crashing which I think is a issue with their own code and not of Aurora's.

Battery Life
I tested it on day two and it gave me 6 Hrs with WIFI on.. mixed usage.. like Browsing, watching videos, games, etc ..

Camera:
No comments.. its there just for the sake of it. 2Mp..

Issues Faced
Touch issues: some times touch doesn't register.. im not sure if its a software problem or a hardware problem or the problem of the screen protector. Touch works perfectly fine is some apps , but some apps its just a annoying.
WIFI: there is known wifi issue where the tablet doesn't pickup the signal at certain distance, there is a Hardware mod/fix for this but I am not gonna do it atleast for some time as two of my WIFI routers cover my house very well..
Software: on Stock firmware many apps say its incompatible with the device and wont even get downloaded from Play store. installing a custom ROM will fix these issue.
Heating issue: People have complained about heating issue on the left side of the tablet.. yes it does have heating issue, but its not uncomfortable. A future software update should fix it.

Things I need to test.
1. Charging time.
2. Video Chat
3. Heave graphics games.
4. HDMI test - I dont have a HDMI based TV :p

Overall Verdict: A very good buy. I am happy with the purchase. the USP of this tab is Dual Core CPU and the Screen.

I have written this review in a hurry, so please feel free to tell me what other information I need to include.

Special thanks to aniket.cain for helping me which choosing this tablet.. :)

Site reference
SlateDroid- this includes all the info regarding ROM's and fixes.. this site really helped me a lot.

Benchmarks
Quadrant
*i.imgur.com/46C2j.png

Antutu
*i.imgur.com/Qp200.png

Nena Mark 2
*i.imgur.com/LRjEK.png

aniket.cain

Padawan
^ I guess he was on the default 0717 firmware. Anyways, I'd suggest to flash it with CM10 ROM by Christian Troy (find it on SlateDroid). It is a Jelly Bean ROM, and work extremely well (and it is so smooth - Project Butter at work ;) ). It has even taken care of the 20px border issue!!

For Wi-Fi issues, change your Wi-Fi router's Channel to a higher value, so that it does not conflict with your neighbor's wi-fi. I changed mine to Channel 13 from Channel 6, and now the tablet has absolutely no problems with Wi-Fi anywhere in my house.

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I havent used the tab for a couple of days, but if my memory is fine( :p )then I am using this ROM Double Stuff Custom Rom (Aurora II Unofficial Repacks) - SlateDroid.com

pugazh

Right off the assembly line
How much did you pay for customs duty.

Price: Varies from site to site.. I bought it from MP4Nation at $149 (Rs. 8583.78) through sale. It came with free FexEx 2 day shipping. But currently MP4Nation had removed the sale and now its priced at $169. there are other sites which offer at $150 range..

aniket.cain

Padawan
I havent used the tab for a couple of days, but if my memory is fine( :p )then I am using this ROM Double Stuff Custom Rom (Aurora II Unofficial Repacks) - SlateDroid.com

Yes, the one you are using is the most stable ROM currently for this tablet.

rider

as Kratos
Heyy RCuber! I want to purchase a budget HD 10" tablet for this I checked for ainol novo hero tablet. It is costing me around 13k from a new ebay seller.
Is there any better tablet out there for this price range or I should get this?

OP
RCuber

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
^^ Cant really tell as I didn't check the recent developments in the 10" tablet segment. maybe create a thread and you will get more help :)

rider

as Kratos
^^ Cant really tell as I didn't check the recent developments in the 10" tablet segment. maybe create a thread and you will get more help :)

*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/buying-advice/168335-need-budget-tablet-great-display-jelly-bean.html

Is your Aurora II supports USB charging?

Top Bottom