Advise on config for 3D walktroughs + VFX

sidsmiles

Right off the assembly line
Hi,

Can someone advise me on the config for purchasing a new machine for doing 3d walkthroughs and VFX

Shall prefer a windows platform and the s.w used will be Illustrator, Adobe After Effects, 3Ds Max and Combustion, Adobe Premiere

We have a server in the office wherein all the data is saved using a LAN configuration, so the HDD will be largely used for loading the programs and basic saves.

We have a 4 hour UPS backup.

1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A: 3D Walkthroughs / Video Effects / Animation / Video Editing

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: I am open

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: Open (between INR 60,000 - INR 1,00,000)

4. Planning to overclock?
A:?

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A:Windows

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A:We save all date on a server and run this to do edits, perhaps to be on safer side 1TB

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A:1024 x 768

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A:2

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A:assembler

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A:yes

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A:most certainly yes

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A:

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A:Chennai

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary

Thanks

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
Hi sidsmiles, Welcome to Think Digit Forum.

Please fill up the questions present in the Thread: *www.thinkdigit.com/forum/pc-components-configurations/128247-pc-build-questionnaire-template.html and post it here. It will help the members to suggest you the optimum configurations for your needs.

rajatGod512

N00B Troller
Processor-Intel Core i7 2600k @17.2k
Motherboard-MSI Z68A GD55 (B3) @10.2k
RAM-Gskill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL @3.6k
Hard Disk-Seagate 250GB 7200.12 @3.4k
DvD Drive-ASUS 24X Sata Black DVD @1.1k
Power Supply-Corsair HX850 @9.5k
Monitor-Benq G2220HD @7k
Mouse & Keyboard-Logitech MK200 @0.7k
Speakers-Logitech Z313 @1.6k
Cabinet-Lancool PC-K62 Black @5.3k
Graphics Card - AMD FireProV5900 @30.7k
Total - 90.3K = INR 90,300

The Graphics card suggestion I provided here was for Worksation and 3D Working but it is not a good choice if you want to play games on it.

If you want to play games then buy this Graphics Card
MSI N580GTX Lightning @ 31k
or also you can buy less costlier one like (if you dont want to spend to much on Graphics )
MSI HD 6970 TFIII/OC @21k or MSI GTX 560ti Hawk @ 14k or MSI HD 6950 TFIII/OC -16k

OP
S

sidsmiles

Right off the assembly line
Thanks Rajat.

What would you advise if i wish to load a RAID drive too, which one and will my config change?

Is the graphics cards sufficient for walkthroughs/Video effects & Video editing - does this support video graphics or how does this work, i am unaware of the technicals...

Wish the system to be future ready to an extent.

OSxSnowLeopard

Journeyman
I want to give you a suggetion as you said 2/10 as your h/w knowledge. Hope you will find it help full.:)
You need a system for 3d walkthoughs + vfx(in videos and 2d+3d).
I will try to rearange h/w's those are very importaint accordig to their need in this field.
1) A good cpu(every thing depend on cpu for final output).
2) A good minitor(If you dont want to miss any small errors, glitches or noise from your final product at all). Look For a good ips panels only. High end tn displayes are also a good choice if you dont work with studios like high detailed projects.
3) Good amount of ram at least 4gb - 6or8gb ddr 2 or ddr3(ram speed/latency doesn't matter at all here). Just consider ddr3 over ddr2 that it will consume less power and genrate less heat.
4) A decent gpu. Gpu plays a good roll over igp. It gives better video output and have dedicated amount of ram to pull loads from hdd cache and ram under the softwares that support h/w accerations(d3d or opengl any).
5) Under 2d softwares gpus roll is very limited, while they support more h/w acceleration these days but this is just for few objects and effects where you dont want to put all the load on your cpu and ram alone.
6) Under 2d video editing s/w's good amount of ram and cpu just do all the things.
7) Under 3d(object) video editing s/w's ram,cpu and gpu is must(today).
8) Under 3d editing s/w's ram,cpu and gpu is must as well(gpu only handel view-port, mtl. editors ect of your 3ds s/w's not rendering part).
But real confusing part is how much gpu power does someone realy require. Do you need to invest on ultra high ends, high ends, mid and lower ends cards.:| This is completely depends on your way of working. If you work on very high poly projects(then yes) or if you still work with high poly projects with habit of working under isolation(good):smile: then you dont need high end cards. If you want to play games then sure buy one.:grin:
All you need from todays gpu market is mid high end card between 8-15k with good ammount of memory(for 3d objects) and their performance or speed to haldel view-port at exceptable or workable frame rates(minimum 15-20fps). You can save some amount from gpu and put it into buying good monitor and silent cpu cooler because rendering takes bit long to finish while cpu runs at its full throttel(its good to avoid o'cing and still get a after market cpu cooler like corsair h50-60 cheapest one).
Bye.

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
as you wont overclock the CPU, get a non -K i7 2600 & a P67 based board & save some bucks

add a after market cooler like Noctua NH-D14

about closed loop liquid cooling offered from corsair mentioned above i would recomend to stay way from them & stick to air cooling, because there are certain incidents where the loop leaked. Why take chance & introduce possible downtime for your workstation.

Yes the FirePro card is a good addition it will definitely help you in 3D - rendering jobs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom