Advice on my GRig build?

L

Leafcutter

Hello,
I'd really appreciate some advice on parts.

mobo: ASRock Z77 Pro4 Motherboard
cpu: Intel Core i5 3550
case: Corsair 400R Mid Tower Cabinet
ram: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4 GB x2
hdd: WD Caviar Green 1 TB
psu: Corsair CMPSU-650TXV2UK 650 Watts PSU
gpu: Asus 660ti
cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

The template-

1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans: Main GRig. Gaming and dev.
Applications- Adobe suite, Synopsis framework also some game dev.
Games- Assassins Creed 3, Prototype 2, Borderlands 2, Torchlight 2, Call of Duty MW3, Battlefield 3, Kingdoms of Amalur, Grim Dawn.

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: 85k

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: No. Neither gpu nor cpu.

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: Windows 7 and then 8 when it's out.

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1TB

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans: I already have a 20" samsung LED. max res - 1600x900. (I'll get something else in the future)

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: Monitor,keyboard,mouse,speakers.

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: Probably next month.

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: Yes and I'll do this myself.

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Hyderabad and everything from Flipkart/theitdepot

I would like some advice on the motherboard - Since, I do not wish to oc, does the asrock's pro4 z77 fit well into my build? Or should I be looking at a h77?
Concerning the PSU, after a lot of reviews and PSU calculators... I picked the corsair enthusiast 650W. Will that power my rig right?
I never used a UPS before... Can I get some advice on that? Since, I am using a 650W psu, wouldn't I need a ups that can provide a drive over 650W? I was looking at this - APC Back 1500. Would that work well? Would you suggest something else?

acewin

Point Blanc
Corsair CMPSU-750TXV2UK 750 Watts PSU | Psu | Flipkart.com
Corsair CMPSU-750HXUK 750 Watts PSU | Psu | Flipkart.com

2nd is modular and it seems price is lesser than 650VA on flipkart

avinandan012

Cyborg Agent
10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans: Hyderabad and everything from Flipkart/theitdepot

One thing go to CTC & check local prices. Some of the prices are lower than Flipkart/theitdepot .

Try to buy the UPS locally cause the APC Back 1500 weight is mentioned as
Master Carton Weight : 28.14 KG

so if you buy from online store check the transport cost first (it may be over Rs.500).

acewin

Point Blanc
are you looking for smart UPS
otherwise APC BR1100CI-IN UPS - BR1100CI-IN by: APC - TechShop.in - Buy Tech

and 650W is good to go, try to get locally bcoz prices are little higher end

rather than 660TI get ati 7850

windows 8 is out on 21st oct

OP
L

Leafcutter

Wow. Thanks guys :D
I will go Nvidia though... brand loyalty since I was a wee lil gamer and I work there.

I'll make the shift to 750W psu. But I am truly concerned about the UPS. I don't really know how the numbers in that category work. Is this right -> The UPS out wattage should be greater than the PSU out wattage and by a decent margin.

I am not looking for a smart UPS in particular. I just want a reliable UPS that would support my rig for enough time so I can save my game/work and shutdown. (even with a PSU that could pump out 750W... though I dont think i5 3rd gen and 660ti would cross 500W).

The APC Back 1100 gives 660W whereas the APC Back 1500 gives 865W. Which one would truly fit right with my rig?

skywalker5555

Broken In
Wow. Thanks guys :D
I will go Nvidia though... brand loyalty since I was a wee lil gamer and I work there.

I'll make the shift to 750W psu. But I am truly concerned about the UPS. I don't really know how the numbers in that category work. Is this right -> The UPS out wattage should be greater than the PSU out wattage and by a decent margin.

I am not looking for a smart UPS in particular. I just want a reliable UPS that would support my rig for enough time so I can save my game/work and shutdown. (even with a PSU that could pump out 750W... though I dont think i5 3rd gen and 660ti would cross 500W).

The APC Back 1100 gives 660W whereas the APC Back 1500 gives 865W. Which one would truly fit right with my rig?

WOW :shock: 750W 80 Plus bronze that might b able to power ur house :p ... 520 or 550W is more then enough for the above config u have mentioned :p

acewin

Point Blanc
true 750W PSU is too much 550-600W will do.
A&G Systems, APC UPS, Bangalore, Contact: 080 41172266, APC Home UPS, APC Inverter, APC Back UP UPS, APC Smart UPS, APC Online UPS for UPS, this would be sufficient and fairly good

*agsystemsindia.com/back_ups_pro_apc_rs_br1000g.php

desiJATT

Away from Forums, Again!
For the PSU, buy the Seasonic S12II 620W or Corsair GS600. Enough for your needs. For the UPS, get an APC or Microtek one, with the power rating 1100VA. Assume maximum power output from this UPS at around 60% of the rated, ie. 1100*.6 = 660W. Enough to power your PC for long time.

acewin

Point Blanc
not long time only like 10-15 minutes max.
But the benefit of the suggest UPS is it comes with APC Smart software, which provides autoshutdown facility into the system.
Secondly you can buy a separate BR24 battery, which if attached to the UPS provides you etra back up.

Remember if your budget is 15K or like that get Smart UPS which have 80% performance, in such case you will also need to buy external batteries. APC is not the only UPS in this case

desiJATT

Away from Forums, Again!
A UPS worth 15K wilk never make sense, however "Smart" it may be. I myself have a 800VA Microtek UPS. On full load, while playing an intense Battlefield 3 game, it lasted more than 20 minutes. Yes, I tested it to the limits. UPS is a backup device, let it be. Invest that extra cash somewhere else.

somebodysme

Journeyman
Asus P8H77-M PRO Intel H77 Motherboard @9996
Intel Core i5 3550 @11300
Corsair 400R Mid Tower Cabinet @4900
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 4 GB x2 @2900
Seagate 1 TB @4700
Corsair CMPSU-650TXV2UK 650 Watts PSU @5650
Asus 660 @19000

Most of the above components are availabe at Prime ABGB and they also provide shipping service.
As you aren't going to overclock so you won't be needing Z77 motherboard and CPU cooler IMO. Seagate is better than WD Caviar Green and if your budget allows then go for WD Caviar Black.

I am using APC BR1000 IN UPS, for normal use it provides at least 30 min of backup.

OP
L

Leafcutter

Thanks guys! :D
Yes, for the oc'able mobo, I should have picked a K type cpu. Hence, I have settled on - ASRock Z77 Extreme4 + Intel 3.4 GHz Core i5 3570K
Also switching to Seagate Barracuda 1 TB (sata 6gbps, 64gb cache, 7200rpm) for hdd.
PSU - Corsair CMPSU-650TXV2UK 650 Watts (just in case).

The only thing I'm looking for in the UPS is enough time to save and close. So, APC Back-UPS 1100 (probably overkill, but I just wanna be safe).

GPU - gtx 660 (gk106), Seems to fit my requirement (its better than a gtx570)

Should be enough till Broadwell + gtx8XX, I guess?

Cilus

laborare est orare
Better get WD hard disk instead of Seagate as the later is providing only 1 Yr of warranty where the former is providing 2 yrs of warranty AFAIK.

OP
L

Leafcutter

In the local market (P.L Computers, CTC, Hyderabad), you can get a MSI N660 TF III for 21.5k.

I have already purchased a Corsair 400R (cabinet - 4.5k), i5 3570k + ASRock z77 extreme4 (14.5k/11k).

I have all the parts marked and ready to buy (soon...very soon).

The only doubt, and the most crucial doubt left in my mind is the GPU itself.
Firstly - gtx 660 vs 660 Ti (I have a good monitor, but its max res is 1600x900... and I dont want to change it. I am fine with gaming at this res... So, a 660 should be fine right?).
Secondly - For the 660Ti, MSI is what I'm going for, else an ASUS, if I can't find the former. No ZOTAC (I dont trust its temp management during peak perf). For the 660 (non-Ti)... MSI goes for 21.5k, asus DC2 goes for (19k - prime abgb, 20k - itdepot

Top Bottom