advice me please : which linux is just like windows ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
esumitkumar

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
thanks Gary :D
ok two probs now ;
1. I installed skype and it says during login : another instance of skype may be running ...i googled and changed directory permissions of skype to 777 by chmod 777 * ...(ya i know some unix :D and learning ) still it says same error :(

2. Firefox is not starting..that damroo button is shown for some time and then nothing..im writing this in Konqueror..any advice ?

3. how to create SWAP ? I didnt create anything manually..DRAKX did

Thanks
Sumit

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
thanks Gary :D
ok two probs now ;
1. I installed skype and it says during login : another instance of skype may be running ...i googled and changed directory permissions of skype to 777 by chmod 777 * ...(ya i know some unix :D and learning ) still it says same error :(

maybe another instance we really running, check it by
Code:
ps aux
or just restart X by CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE. please save all your work before doing this.
Code:
2. Firefox is not starting..that damroo button is shown for some time and then nothing..im writing this in Konqueror..any advice ?
open konsole or xterm and type "firefox". then only we could see whats wrong

Code:
3. how to create SWAP  ? I didnt create anything manually..DRAKX did
it should create a SWAP, post the output of
Code:
fdisk -l
as root user
to check if it really has done so

OP
esumitkumar

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
ok gary here's what I have ..I had arnd 9 GB unallocated space when i installed Linux..Now drake divides it into two partitions 1.2 GB and 5.8 GB..in 1.2 GB it has guest,lost+found and sumit folders and its showing 100 % used..so not able to save anything etc ..help here needed ..i didnt pasted any file ...in 5.8 GB partition...thr are bin,usr,lib etc directories ...and its consuming 1.3 GB out of 5.3 GB

Now here are various outputs :
fdisk -l

Disk /dev/hda: 60.0 GB, 60011642880 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7296 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0xdfcbdfcb

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/hda1 1 383 3076416 12 Compaq diagnostics
/dev/hda2 * 384 3814 27559507+ c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/hda3 3815 7296 27969165 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)
/dev/hda5 3815 6400 20772013+ b W95 FAT32
/dev/hda6 6401 7107 5678946 83 Linux
/dev/hda7 7108 7156 393561 82 Linux swap / Solaris
/dev/hda8 7157 7296 1124518+ 83 Linux

[sumit@localhost ~]$ skype
terminate called after throwing an instance of 'Skype::Exceptions::GetObjectError'
what(): Call
Aborted

[sumit@localhost ~]$ firefox
/usr/lib/firefox-2.0.0.13/run-mozilla.sh: line 131: 5847 Segmentation fault /usr/bin/soundwrapper "$prog" ${1+"$@"}

thanks and help needed

Sumit

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
As for firefox, update it to latest version and the flash plugin too.

I would recommend you to do a complete update of system.

And do ask your queries in Mandriva forum as you are more likely to get relevant answers than here.

OP
esumitkumar

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
^^kool ... im also dloading sabayon linux now ..is it a good one ..also whats the diff b/w Gentoo linux and Mandriva ? tell me core differences

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Look esumitkumar, it really does not matter if you use Mandriva, or Sabayon or anything else. What matters is how fast can you get help when you are confronted with a problem. Now I won't say that I'm a master, but I know quite a few things in openSUSE and Ubuntu. You can search this forum for posts I have started on these two distributions. Distro hopping is not a solution to your problems.
Do the following
1. Do a Google search
2. Open a new thread in the Open Source section detailing your difficulties.
3. Search the official Mandriva forums for a similar complaint, and if you don't find one, open a similar thread there

If you don't get solutions then consider switching to something else.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
gentoo is for hardcore people, you might want to try it out when you need that extra f factor.

Its a really cool way to optimize your PC performance to that last drop with all those cflags.

Mehul has compiled a complete how to abt gentoo.

But for beginners Ubuntu is best. Simple thing is that you will get solution for almost every problem.

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
^^kool ... im also dloading sabayon linux now ..is it a good one ..also whats the diff b/w Gentoo linux and Mandriva ? tell me core differences
I would suggest you to give mandriva a sincire try, else switching distros again & agian won't help you either.

mostly a google search is what you need;)
else ask on forum, its no use switching distros. atlest you should a distro for a month, before changing.
see what a google search can do:p
*forum.mandriva.com/viewtopic.php?t=83446
*forum.skype.com/index.php?showtopic=103895

Garbage

God of Mistakes...
hmm...

Seriously you need to settle on ONE Linux. Try to master one at a time. Then all Linux would be easy.

a_k_s_h_a_y

Dreaming
hey try openSuse and Ubuntu.
Ubuntu is famous and has lots of guides, just google it !!!
there are 100s of dedicated blogs, forums, communities etc.
And this will help you learn linux as you try to troubleshoot your way through.

Go for Ubuntu.
But its not like Windows. This is my advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom