advice me please : which linux is just like windows ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
Ok I am a complete noob(actually frustrated user) in linux..have installed it many times but failed to use it..sometimes sound sometimes some display prob..now my old laptop is hanging even after many format..it has 512 MB RAM only .....i had tried ubuntu but it had some prob wid video card so dumped it .....wanna try linux again (my first crush will not die despite so many futile attempts...tell me that version of linux which can

1. easily identify Acer 5500 notebook's video card ATI X700
2. can run super smooth n fast
3. has all the window double click features ..just dbl clik and install software..no command line maatha pachhi .......
4. can play movies in avi and music in mp3
5. can dload movies by mutorrent
6. can install yahoo messenger with voice chat
7. Word docs compatible wid MS office

so suggest a linux version if there is any that fulfills my above requirements :)

If not I will stick to win xp :D

Rgds
Sumit

CadCrazy

in search of myself
Buddy linux is not windows. Just follow this link
If you want to learn Linux you must unlearn your window skills.

Drat...Cadcrazy posted seconds before me....:D
ANYway, WTH is this???? :shock:
3. has all the window double click features ..just dbl clik and install software..no command line maatha pachhi .......
Dude, get your facts right.
First of all this is not Windows. It is different from your XP and thus will need some time and patience,
Secondly, it is not radically different. May I inform you that some linux distros have better GUI than windows, making command-line unneccesary. Dont fall into that asssumption that "LINUX MEANS CUI"
First get used to the environment, and then start fidgetting around with it :D

CadCrazy

in search of myself

so suggest a linux version if there is any that fulfills my above requirements :)

If not I will stick to win xp :D

Rgds
Sumit

1. Most Linux distro will identify
2. You have 512 MB RAM so no problem
3. If you have active net connection.If you hate CLI stay away from Linux
4. lol , just install the codecs and its done
5. Deluge is very good bittorrent client for Linux. Works in windows too
6. You have to use gYache in Linux.
7. Open office hai na

As you are a noob try the latest version of Ubuntu linux i.e. 8.04.1

ray|raven

Think Zen.
No Linux is like Windows.
They are two completely different operating systems.

For a beginner Ubuntu or Fedora might be a good bet.

FilledVoid

Who stole my Alpaca!
Although quite a few people has explain your above questions I'll go through it anyway.

Ok I am a complete noob(actually frustrated user) in linux..have installed it many times but failed to use it..sometimes sound sometimes some display prob..now my old laptop is hanging even after many format..it has 512 MB RAM only .....i had tried ubuntu but it had some prob wid video card so dumped it .....wanna try linux again (my first crush will not die despite so many futile attempts...tell me that version of linux which can

Lesson1 of Linux. You don;t become better at it at dropping a distro each time you face an error. Whether it be Ubuntu , Suse or whatever you might face an error. The only reason you don't mind errors in Windows is because you know how to troubleshoot them.

In the FAQ's above it contains links to several threads which explain what distro to use based on your usage. You could check one of those perhaps. Since you are still new to Linux I would recommend Ubuntu or Mint. I have heard Mandriva is also nice but have never had the chance to sue it recently.

It is going to be a bit of a hassle to configure the display card since its an Ati I would guess. but I think you should be able to do the same sicne Acer laptops come out with Linpus Linux with the same configured.
This is based on each users perception. I use Arch Linux and its quite fast. When I was using Ubuntu I felt that it was fast as well. how far are you willing to go for that extra performance? As a beginner I wouldn't recommend you down one of those paths anyway.
[/quote]
This is a huge Myth. To install any software in Linux as long as it is from the Repositories is basically a single click unlike Windows which requires you to click it multiple times. The only time you might run into a problem is if you use some software which isn't already in the distro's repositories and hence might require you to compile stuff or download deb files and install it. Also FYI the command prompt is one of the best features of Linux . In time after usage you will see what I'm talking about.
Stick with Mint or Sabayon they come with all the codecs downloaded and installed.
Each distro has a torrent client on it. Well at least the ones I have used do. As for mutorrent I'm not sure what it is or whether it is legal so I'm not going to go there.
I believe Yahoo messenger works with Wine but Im not sure since I use alternatives like Pidgin .
OpenOffice can easily open Word Documents I believe they can save it as a word document as well.
so suggest a linux version if there is any that fulfills my above requirements
I would recommend either Mint or Ubuntu.
If not I will stick to win xp
Do not change your OS because someone else does . However if you feel the thrill of learning or trying out something new then go ahead and give it a whirl . Else you will just regret the transition .

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
Stick to windows if you want something that behaves likes windows. Every OS has it's ways of working.

Rahim

Married!
Why not dual boot and use Linux as your hobby OS. Human minds are known to resist change.
WIth time you will understand Linux and start yelling like we do, "Linux is NOT Windows". :D

OP
esumitkumar

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
Thanks for all ur replies..Suse and Mandriva looks promising...(Fact is that I have tried Ubuntu and Fedora before n Mint wasnt able to run) ..so which one of the two you recommend ?

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
Go for mandriva;)

Things To Know Before Using Linux
Mandriva 2008.1 Spring Edition Review: Breath Of Fresh Air

OP
esumitkumar

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
ya gary im currently dloading Mandriva 2008.1 Spring Edition Review: Breath Of Fresh Air
its 696 MB on one CD..is that version ok :D

gary4gar

GaurishSharma.com
ya gary im currently dloading Mandriva 2008.1 Spring Edition Review: Breath Of Fresh Air
its 696 MB on one CD..is that version ok :D
Yeah, the One:D
For initial setup instructions, please follow the guide i have given you

Last edited:

NucleusKore

TheSaint
Ok I am a complete noob(actually frustrated user) in linux..have installed it many times but failed to use it..sometimes sound sometimes some display prob..now my old laptop is hanging even after many format..it has 512 MB RAM only .....i had tried ubuntu but it had some prob wid video card so dumped it .....

Linux is not windows
Linux may start with an L, but is not meant for LAZY people. Ubuntu 8.04 works fine with ATi x700

1. Ubuntu 8.04, especially because you have 512 MB RAM
2. That's why I did not recommend OpenSUSE 11.0 in answer 1
3. Mostly GUI driven, except for one or two small things which you have to do only once after you install the system for the first time
4. Yes it can, all you have to do is add the medibuntu repository and download whatever players you want. If internet access is difficult then refer these threads
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87790
*www.thinkdigit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92962
5. uTorrent is a Windows software, but if you really insist on using it you still can by using WINE in ubuntu. And yes you can double click on uTorrent and install it, there will be a shortcut on your desktop too for easy launch of the application.
6. Not available for any Linux. Gyachi used to work earlier, I do not know it's current status. The voice chat program which I have successfully used in Linux is Skype
7. Word docs open in OpenOffice.org which is available for both Windows and linux

OP
esumitkumar

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
Linux may start with an L, but is not meant for LAZY people. Ubuntu 8.04 works fine with ATi x700
he he he :D im too lazy physically..but not mentally...thats y trying linux even after removing it for 20-25 times..(after much troubleshooting)..when a new flavor of linux comes i believe this is the ONE for me :) ..lets see

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom