advice me please : which linux is just like windows ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
esumitkumar

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
I found only alsaplayer,alsa mixer and alsa modular synth in adept manager..i installed all those..still no option of alsa in options ---->skype..by the way its sound has been ok now as net speed is gud today...

tell me is there in linux any command like CTRL +ALT +DEL..cuz sometimes kubuntu freezes :(

NucleusKore

TheSaint
If your Kubuntu freezes go to Administration->Appearance and in that set Desktop effects to None.

To see processes running press Ctrl and Esc. Note the process ID (PID) of the process you want to kill

Then to kill a process use Konsole
Type

sudo kill -9 processname

and press ENTER

Last edited:
OP
esumitkumar

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
^^ how to enable 3D windows ..i installed compiz and evrything works cool. ALT +TAB and all the cool effects :) .but windows arent 3D even after enabling 3D windows ... any clue ?

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
You can enable Desktop Effects as said.. System -> Desktop Effects.

Make sure you have installed Compiz and Compiz Decorator Qt.

Apartfrom that .. I started using KDE from Kubuntu and believe me I hated KDE thanks to Kubuntu but now I am a Mandriva User :p atleast till now :p

Since you have installed Kubuntu it woun't be wise to remove it .. Follow this guide in setting up Kubuntu *www.howtoforge.com/the-perfect-desktop-kubuntu-8.04-lts-p2

But believe me Kubuntu even full configured is the most pathetic KDE Linux present :p

Wait few days Mandriva 2009.0 will be release in few days and Ubuntu will hopefully gain my respect again :D

Last edited:

NucleusKore

TheSaint
From the posts above I feel that desktop effects is hanging your system. If you enable it then do so from Administration->Appearance and follow that by a full system upgrade through Administration->Synaptic and in that Upgrade.

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
^^He is using KDE so its Adpet and Desktop Effects :p Don't confuse him :p

Apart from that , Do you live in US ? If yes do not install Sabayon as it includes libdvdcss which violates US rules and if you keep on using it you will be busted :p

OP
esumitkumar

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
Make sure you have installed Compiz and Compiz Decorator Qt.
I have enabled all the 3D effects but the cube is not enabled even if i click it..any clue..also when i configure desktops to 1 ..it doesnt happen ..they remain 4 :mad:

But believe me Kubuntu even full configured is the most pathetic KDE Linux present
I disagree..I have installed Mandriva first..but Kubuntu is gr8 as compared to it...plus I think 3D effects hang on Mandriva wid ATI X700 ..right :confused:

Apart from that , Do you live in US ? If yes do not install Sabayon as it includes libdvdcss which violates US rules and if you keep on using it you will be busted
Ya, I came here on a short term..What do u mean I cant use sabayon ? Also tell me is it illegal to dload movies n other things by torrents in US :( ....can i be busted ???? more chance than India ??

PS: that link u gave is superb..howtoforge ...THANKS !

Dark Star

Cyborg Agent
*en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decss Downloading Movie is alos ahem but I can't say about US Goivt action against it ! As far as India is concerned Mera Bharat Mahan 100 mein 99 baiman :p
I have enabled all the 3D effects but the cube is not enabled even if i click it..any clue..also when i configure desktops to 1 ..it doesn't happen ..they remain 4

Install Compiz Config Settings Manager and do this under General Tab

*www.imgx.org/pthumbs/large/11370/CCSM.jpg

OP
esumitkumar

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
^^^ update ..installed Ubuntu hardy heron...set up all the things ...3D effects rock..now biggest obstacle..i purchased a brand new webcam logitech quickcam for notebook....srchd evrything in ubuntu forums ...a very dark image is coming in camorama ...read in many posts that this webcam is new so not supported by linux :x

now what do have all linux enthusiasts have to say ???? any help..seems my idea of one OS seems to be stuck .....have to revert to XP :(

output of lsusb command :

Bus 002 Device 004: ID 046d:08dd Logitech, Inc.

Last edited:
^^You should have tried to first ask and look around before making a purchase of a new webcam. Its not linux's fault that your camera does not work. Had you bothered to search first before buying, you might have obtained a working camera.

Anyway, whats your model number ? Maybe one of us can help you.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
blame the logitech developer and switch to MS/Apple
or
wait till someone comes up with a solution

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom