ADSL issues with Puppy Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

layzee

■■■■■■
I have very recently switched to Linux. Since I fiddle a lot with Windows XP, I end up re-installing it every month. So, I decided to get a backup OS in case anything goes wrong. I ended up installing Puppy Linux 4.0 (Dingo) on my USB drive from the Digit September 2008 CD.
Everything is working fine except for one thing. I just cannot connect to the internet in Puppy. I've tried everything from the Network Manager to the Roaring Penguin PPPoE Client but failed. I use a BSNL Broadband connection and it seems that the PPPoE Client seems to have some issues with ADSL Connections.

I've tried giving the username as <username>@dataone and the DNS Information as "server" but that does not seem to work.
Please Help......

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
First of all this thread should have been in opensource.

In network wizard, are you seeing etho0? Underneath that there is a button called autoDHCP. click that. you may get a message called everything successful or something like that. Before doing do this go to your router settings, and choose PPPOE and NOT BRIDGE. Give username and password and name of the connection as BSNL. Now open your browser and you will be able to browse. I also ahd a lot of difficulty in this respect.

OP
layzee

layzee

■■■■■■
Sorry for posting in the wrong place bro...
Just one last question:- Where are the router settings??

OP
layzee

layzee

■■■■■■
Open router config page by *192.168.1.1

Its asking for a username and password. I tried my BSNL account details but failed. But anyway I found a strange solution to it. I can connect flawlessly if I just deactivate and then reactivate my ethernet connection. What I did was this:-

Code:
pppoe-start
pppoe-stop
ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 up
pppoe-start

This somehow solves the problem....:D

Last edited:

Ramakrishnan

The Researcher
Its asking for a username and password. I tried my BSNL account details but failed. But anyway I found a strange solution to it. I can connect flawlessly if I just deactivate and then reactivate my ethernet connection. What I did was this:-

Code:
pppoe-start
pppoe-stop
ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth0 up
pppoe-start

This somehow solves the problem....:D

The router username is admin and password is admin unless you specifically changed it. From your post it appears that you didn't change it. It is time you changed it otherwise you have worries buddy. While you are on net anybody can get hold your net ip and hack your BSNL userid and password.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom