Add right-click context menu entry for shutdown from desktop

nithinks

True Techie
Original Tutorial : Add right-click context menu entry for shutdown from desktop | My Tech Yard

How about having a Right Click menu to shut down ? After a lot of trial and errors , I was able to find this.

This tutorial explains you how you can change registry entries to create a new right click context menu entry to shutdown the system. After registry changes, your desktop context menu looks like this

*i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv346/nithks/MyTechYard/regedit6.jpg

Editing registry entries can be risky, follow the mentioned steps properly , else, if you get confused in between, revert the changes and close the registry editor

Steps :

– First, open the registry editor : Start Menu -> Run : type regedit , You should see the following main keys

*i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv346/nithks/MyTechYard/regedit1.jpg

– Expand the key, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT , Then Search for “Desktop” : Expand the key showed below (shell)

*i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv346/nithks/MyTechYard/regedit2.jpg

Please note that , some of the desktop context menu entries are visible under this key, You can verify if you have selected the correct key by cross checking the sub-keys with the desktop context menu entries, Also this tutorial has been tested in Windows 7, Please use the proper desktop key whatever available in your operating system , and verify the sub-keys.

– Expand Shell, and notice few desktop context menu entries. Right click on Shell, and select NEW->Key

*i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv346/nithks/MyTechYard/regedit3.jpg

– Name the key as “Shut Down”

– Expand newly created key “Shut Down” and create one more key under “Shut Down” , name this key as “command”

*i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv346/nithks/MyTechYard/regedit4.jpg

– Double click on command key, on the right panel, you will see “Default” value for this key, Double click on “Default“.

– Change the value to “shutdown -p” as shown in the above picture, and click on OK.

*i698.photobucket.com/albums/vv346/nithks/MyTechYard/regedit5.jpg

– Close the registry editor.

Now , right click on the desktop, you should see the option for shut down, click the option to shutdown the system.

Last edited:

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
I use shortcut to shutdown.

Steps:
1. Just right click on desktop and click New -> Shortcut
2. Enter location as, "shutdown -s -f -t 0" and Click Next
3. Write name for shortcut, like, well, "Shutter Down"
4. Click Finish.

All set to double click, and voila, system shuts down.

sarthkhopkar

Right off the assembly line
the steps for one are written with reference to VISTA/WINDOWS 7.... wot if i want to do the shutdown feature iN WINDOWS Xp....

i tried the way it was written in the post on my machince which is running on Win Xp... but in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT ... i didnt find any DESKTOP folder..

please reply...

Vyom

The Power of x480
Staff member
Admin
the steps for one are written with reference to VISTA/WINDOWS 7.... wot if i want to do the shutdown feature iN WINDOWS Xp....

i tried the way it was written in the post on my machince which is running on Win Xp... but in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT ... i didnt find any DESKTOP folder..

Assuming that you were referring to MY post, I was referring Desktop, as in Real Computer Desktop, where all your folder and files icons are there. (on which resides the wallpaper, and which comes after you log on). :?

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ sarthkhopkar was not able to find the DesktopBackground key in registry like nithinks has mentioned on his tutorial so he asked for the location of the key in Xp os ;-)

@ nithinks - nice tute - Thanks for sharing ;-)

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
I use shortcut to shutdown.

Steps:
1. Just right click on desktop and click New -> Shortcut
2. Enter location as, "shutdown -s -f -t 0" and Click Next
3. Write name for shortcut, like, well, "Shutter Down"
4. Click Finish.

All set to double click, and voila, system shuts down.

I just use win+Z :cool:. Too lazy to click shortcut :))

topgear

Super Moderator
Staff member
^^ Nice trick but I think that only works on win 7 - will test it when I will be on Win 7 again ;-)

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
^^No it can be made to work on XP also. The thing is AFAIK windows doesn't allows define global hotkeys starting with "windows" key. You can just use Ctrl+Alt+X combination, and that too for a shortcut. :evil: So, I use a 3rd party to force global hotkey. Whichever you want. Even you can override Win+R key.

You can try WinHotKey, AutoHotKey. :)

Vishal Gupta

Microsoft MVP
Thanks. Actually you can add any desired program shortcut in Desktop context menu with an icon using this method. I posted a detailed tutorial at AskVG in past about the whole process: :)

How to Add Program Shortcuts and Useful Shortcuts with Icons in Windows Desktop Context Menu?

It might come very useful many times. You can add shortcut to System Properties, Registry Editor, Task Manager, Web browser, Media player, anything which you frequently use.

Top Bottom