Add/Remove Programs Gone in Edgy

Status
Not open for further replies.

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
:confused: yesterday when I logged into my edgy , To my surprise Add/Remove programs options was missing.
Also , I could not perform any administartive task even using sudo in terminal , it says my only account is not having sudo proviliges. can anyone help??? please....:(

mediator

Technomancer
1. Install "alacarte" menu editor => "apt-get install alacarte" or
"smeg" menu editor similarly
2. Terminal => "alacarte"
3. The "add/remove program" entry may be unchecked. Check it!!
4. If there is no such entry, then Add new entry with execution command => "/usr/bin/pirut"
5. Check it
6. Close it
7. Case closed!!

NOte : I'm on fedora rt now. Before proceeding, verify by going into terminal and executing "/usr/bin/pirut".

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
mediator what's pirut got to do here?
And how will he install without root privilages?
Rahul you will need to boot into rescue mode and them add your username to wheel group and edit /etc/sudoers file to allow you to use sudo.

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
@mehul , well I booted into recovery mode ( root account) and used startx to goto GUI but to my surprise , Add/Remove programs , user groups, etc. menus were missing from that also. I couldnt enable them from menu layouts. I mean all those same problems in root account also, just one difference I could access terminal here and apt-get was working here.
can I try anything ???? or should I reinstall ????

Last edited:

praka123

left this forum longback
verify that gnome-app-install is installed
Code:
~$sudo apt-get install gnome-app-install
if already installed,may be some quirks with xml config files,try alacarte menu editor,then run in CLI:
Code:
~$update-menus

mediator

Technomancer
@mehul add/remove program in fedora coresponds to pirut, thats why i added a note to verify! Neways yea i didn.t see he was left without root!

mehulved

18 Till I Die............
mediator pirut is the package management software that is used by FC whereas Ubuntu used Synaptic. So, Rahul you will only find synaptic when you login as root. It will be in System => Administration => Synaptic.
But, I asked you to login as root so you can again use sudo.

mediator

Technomancer
I checked on ubuntu and its like this now

1. Install "alacarte" menu editor => "apt-get install alacarte" or
"smeg" menu editor similarly
2. Terminal => "alacarte"
3. The "add/remove program" entry may be unchecked. Check it!!
4. If there is no such entry, then Add new entry with execution command => "/usr/bin/gnome-app-install"
5. Check it
6. Close it
7. Case closed!!

As for root password, read this => *forums.cnet.com/5208-7593_102-0.html?forumID=7&threadID=12648&start=0

OP
~Phenom~

~Phenom~

The No.1 Stupid
what u said can also be done by menu layouts but the problems is they are not getting checked or tick marked .
i think i hve ti reintrall , any other method

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom