Accelero Accelerates Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
After a long wait, I finally bought Arctic Cooling Accelero S1 Rev 2 and its Trouble Module too. I also bought MX-2 Thermal paste for the job. I've a MSI R4850 with single slot cooler which ran hot so wanted to upgrade to a better cooling solution. Since I didn't have that isopropyl alcohol cleaning solution and didn't know any other household substitute of it, I just cleaned the VRAM chips and GPU with a dry soft cloth. After that I applied thermal paste, simply screwed the S1 module using 4 of provided 6 screws and then fixed Turbo module on it.
When I booted the system there was no display, Situation was same even after 2-3 re-boots so I reverted the card back to its default S.S.C state and then booted the system, this time I booted but BIOS was reset. After making the necessary changes in BIOS I loaded the OS and now system is working fine. Now the Question is "WHY THE HELL ISN'T AC ACCELERO WORKING WITH MY CARD ? " Why the S.O.B card doesn't gives display when an after market cooler is used? Is it because the card needs to detect the fan connected and won't boot if it won't detect one or what? I nearly spent 2K on this stuff so please tell me what is wrong with the card?

Nobody got a clue as why it is happening? Please reply yaar!

Last edited:

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Its because of improper installation. Seen may incidents in this and other forums so for a moment I thought the card had some unknown restriction but whe people started putting up the photos, the issue was obvious. It started to make sense. The mistakes were from the obvious ram sinks installed on the mosfets (although rams sinks are meant only for the ram modules, they should have provided heatsinks for mosfets as well), not using washers and not wiping out the thermal paste properly. You need to use isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol) with 90% and above alcohol content to remove any possible thermal paste compound whether its the same brand or not. Not doing will not only damage the thermal properties and might make it highly conductive. Before abusing any hardware, acknowledge the mistake from your end. Manufacturers give out instruction manual and update instruction manual online for a reason.
Or
Theoratically possible that the cards might be dying due to heat not dissipating from the mosfet. Usual questions like psu, cable management and cooling also comesing into question. Someone from other forums did this mod (which voids the warranty entirely btw)
*img80.imageshack.us/img80/6638/p6270159vs1.png
All of above one more reason to make efforts to buy a non reference cards.

Last edited:

RMN

In the zone
no as far as i know you have to stay away from Nail Polish Removers!

@The Sorcerer
hey buddy,is it possible to clean off the Thermal Paste with Alcohol Swabs?
the one i have says "Saturated with 70% isopropyl Alcohol

tq

The Sorcerer

oh wow...Xenforo!!!
Best if one sticks to isopropyl alcohol or those thermal paste removers such as this:
*primeabgb.com/index.php?page=shop....ategory_id=61&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=53
Personally I never seen an alcohol swab, but if its something like buds dipped in alcohol- better off with a good old lint free cloth. More the alcohol content, faster the evaporation. One gets isopropyl alcohol from a medical stores easily.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Nail polish removers are actually acetone and it too cleans the organic materials. It too evaporates.

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
So here is my work log (with pics) :p
First of all let us all look back at my shitty Single slot cooler atop on the hideous HD4850

*img27.imageshack.us/img27/7217/17022009jb4.th.jpg

*img408.imageshack.us/img408/8045/17022009001mu2.th.jpg

Now on to the removal of this cancer
*img408.imageshack.us/img408/7532/17022009002cj1.th.jpg

Cleaning up the mess that I created last night
*img408.imageshack.us/img408/1595/17022009003du8.th.jpg
After clean up
*img408.imageshack.us/img408/6259/17022009004hq8.th.jpg
A look at the Accelero S1 Rev 2
*img408.imageshack.us/img408/7112/17022009005he1.th.jpg

Now a bit work-in-progress image
*img408.imageshack.us/img408/165/17022009007wo5.th.jpg

Front view after fixing the S1
*img27.imageshack.us/img27/4229/17022009009vh4.th.jpg

Side View
*img7.imageshack.us/img7/5932/17022009008wh2.th.jpg

S1 with Turbo Module fixed
*img23.imageshack.us/img23/3342/17022009010oa0.th.jpg

All ready to fire up the rig, get this message
*img7.imageshack.us/img7/2089/17022009011vk8.th.jpg
Well it says, graphics card power cable not connected, :shock: then I realized that I didn't connected the 6-pin PCI power cable :oops:
After connecting it, fired up the system, configured the BIOS, ran GPUz and checked the temps, they are not exceeding 40 degree mark now, in Idle state, yet to check 'em under load. :cool:

OP
Plasma_Snake

Plasma_Snake

Indidiot
Cotton, dipped in alcohol,to clean of the majority of the muck, rest using a "home made generic dust removal cloth" i.e. fata hua kapda :D I also used a pin to remove the paste from the edges of the GPU and in between the various components.
The are my now "under load" stats-
GPU Core Clock- 650MHz
GPU Memory Clock- 1000MHz
GPU Temp-50 degree Celsius
GPU Load- 99%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom