A new way for Windows, XP or upgrade to Vista?

Continue, upgrade or buy new one?

• Continue using Windows XP

Votes: 40 65.6%
  • Upgrade to Windows Vista

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Buy a new computer

Votes: 3 4.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tallbeing

Oh, Thats why IE7 takes ages to load.
But I installed the one released by Microsoft

T

tallbeing

I've used it already on one of the desktops (p4 2.4,,1 GB of RAM and onboard GPU) of my geeky friend. The interface was nice. Flip 3D was a bit slow to action. The real problem came now:
Ms Office 2007 feels like using it at the earliest form of beta. Every command would start only after 4 sec wait.
The processor usages never came below 70%.
RAM usages was average though, just 600 MB page file (cuz the instalation was still fresh, just 1 hr)
But his shiny new Lenovo Laptop (2GB RAM, Pentium Dual Core 1.8, Dedicated 7400 GT Graphics 128 MB DDR2) had just the opposite effects.
Every app bundled ran smoothly.
Processor usages were on acceptable 50% mark.
Page File usages were a mere 400 MB.
I didn't run benchmarks because I didn't like the idea of taking risks on my friends 50K Laptop.
So, If you are on premium hardware (most probably your gaming station), then only you can think of shifting to Vista, that too 64 bit. Games are still made on DX9 API and DX10.1 cards which can support DX10 Games in their full glory still costs an arm and a leg. The entry level DX10 cards like 86GT supports DX9 flawlessly. So Entry-Level and Mid-Range P.C. users best way will be to wait, for at least.............................

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tallbeing

Yes, I told him about that but he replied that even if the P.C. goes kaput, he will have no problem.
The laptop though gave a decent performance didn't it

Enough for today, I will post tomorrow

T

The Conqueror

Upgraded to Vista Already, although xp still exists on my pc (dual-boot), I use xp only for games....

axxo

99.9% Idle
I don't see any software at all online for XP advertised as running on XP 64. :|

PS: what do YOU use ?

I downgraded from vista x64 to XP x64 now another downgrade to xp 32.
Vista's performance was not bad compared to xp but the background hDD thrashing is what I dont want to see again. Even @ idle HDD seems to be active all the times(even after disabling indexing and background defrag services). And where in the world would anyone prefer something like this to happen on 4GB RAM, which was the only reason that Xp x64 become my primary os.
But my recent job shift brought AT&T client into the picture that has null suport for xp x64. Currently using the x86 version of xp.

J

JEskandari

cpu was the bottleneck.
you NEED a dual core.
dont forget the memory vista Os reserve 512Mb of memory to begin with and thats without any effect and visualization if i'm not wrong for XP its 64 MB

If you all are so interested to leave XP so why not try Ubuntu or Fedora. With Version 8.04 (Hardy Heron) Ubuntu has posed a serious threat to Microsoft. It outperforms Vista in its performance. With just 256 MB RAM on my old Pentium III P.C. I am able to enjoy all the features of a typical Windows P.C in any average home: Beryl for Flip 3D effect, Open Office Org for office work, VLC and Totem for both Movies and Music, Firefox for internet surfing, Ekiga for VoIP services, Evolution and Thunderbird for accessing my mail account.
Moreover Ubuntu supports most Windows Applications through installing Wine (short for WIndows Emulator). Ubuntu also gives you the abiltiy to change workspaces to so that your applications don't get cluttered or hidden far behind when multitasking apart from Beryl.
Since it is Open Source, Advanced Users can easily add new new features to the OS through the terminal.
The only problem with most Linux Distributions is installing application. if the application is a RPM or Debian based package then its all right but if its a tarball, then you will have to download additional libraries for the package after which you will have to compile it with the source code. But since most of the daily used applications are installed so you will not have to deal with this situation much.
If you just want to have a taste of it just fire up a live DVD. It will not alter with your Windows installation but just 1 month of use will surely make you addicted to it.
If you want to wait for Windows 7 but fed up of the boring old Windows XP I suggets you give Ubuntu a shot
tried to install Ubuntu 8.04 it was incompatible with one of my devices (i never was able to find which device )so the Dvd stop booting and ask me to provide the driver.without even saying driver for What.

Last edited by a moderator:

gopi_vbboy

Cyborg Agent
In my opinion MS is a lot better at making money than it is at making good operating systems.
-Linus Torvalds

Thats true..xp is only one of good one among windows versions.....these days m$ is concentrating on $ rather than 10101

ring_wraith

=--=l33t=--=
I've been alternating between XP and Vista for well over a year now, and cannot seem to decide which one is truly better. Sure I love the added security and the great changes to the UI that Vista brings, but its too little to make up for the performance losses, so I am sticking with XP right now. If performance was not an issue, I would be on Vista in a heartbeat.

bmiojesh

Right off the assembly line
vista is then xp is now
support for the third party exetentions and all the favourate programmes

Vista for gaming on my PC.Ubuntu 8.04 is also installed but it's been long since I booted into it.I am happy with Vista.Looks good,is fast,has DirectX 10 and it is the ultimate gaming platform.

T

tallbeing

tried to install Ubuntu 8.04 it was incompatible with one of my devices (i never was able to find which device )so the Dvd stop booting and ask me to provide the driver.without even saying driver for What.
You must have have tried the 64 bit processor. Anything below Core 2 series from intel and Athlon64 from AMD WILL NOT WORK. That is the reason why you are not able to find which hardware is not supported since the OS was not able to access the processor which is the heart of the computer. Try the 32 bit one

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom