A new way for Windows, XP or upgrade to Vista?

Continue, upgrade or buy new one?

• Continue using Windows XP

Votes: 40 65.6%
  • Upgrade to Windows Vista

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Buy a new computer

Votes: 3 4.9%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tallbeing

If you all are so interested to leave XP so why not try Ubuntu or Fedora. With Version 8.04 (Hardy Heron) Ubuntu has posed a serious threat to Microsoft. It outperforms Vista in its performance. With just 256 MB RAM on my old Pentium III P.C. I am able to enjoy all the features of a typical Windows P.C in any average home: Beryl for Flip 3D effect, Open Office Org for office work, VLC and Totem for both Movies and Music, Firefox for internet surfing, Ekiga for VoIP services, Evolution and Thunderbird for accessing my mail account.
Moreover Ubuntu supports most Windows Applications through installing Wine (short for WIndows Emulator). Ubuntu also gives you the abiltiy to change workspaces to so that your applications don't get cluttered or hidden far behind when multitasking apart from Beryl.
Since it is Open Source, Advanced Users can easily add new new features to the OS through the terminal.
The only problem with most Linux Distributions is installing application. if the application is a RPM or Debian based package then its all right but if its a tarball, then you will have to download additional libraries for the package after which you will have to compile it with the source code. But since most of the daily used applications are installed so you will not have to deal with this situation much.
If you just want to have a taste of it just fire up a live DVD. It will not alter with your Windows installation but just 1 month of use will surely make you addicted to it.
If you want to wait for Windows 7 but fed up of the boring old Windows XP I suggets you give Ubuntu a shot

prasath_digit

prasath->loves(APPLE);
I found your post very amusing. You are contradicting yourself.
You love Linux or Vista?? You are seriously a confused OS user.

- I love Linux only from a programmer's point of view, & thats how i've mentioned it below my name. Since it is OpenSource, tweaking around its kernel & other low-level settings i'll be very interesting thing for a programming geek like me :D but it won't be a interesting thing even for a software engineer(let alone the end user) who sees computer only as a slave box sitting on his desk to drive his life & get his salary.......:mad:

- How many of u want to try a 64-bit Ubuntu or fedora on ur spanking new Core 2 Duo PC?(0 out of 10,000 i think). Almost everyone will settle for a 32-bit tortoise like XP or Vista(32-bit). In my opinion if more users start using linux(In India), it will also get more apps & better driver support. It i'll be especially usefull for a country like India where the cost of legal software is big concern for the average user......... :smile:

- And I am saying Vista is for everyone because whether its XP or Vista or 7. Most Indians won't pay for their software :p ( Sad but True, U know it too :rolleyes: )

If you all are so interested to leave XP so why not try Ubuntu or Fedora. With Version 8.04 (Hardy Heron) Ubuntu has posed a serious threat to Microsoft. It outperforms Vista in its performance. With just 256 MB RAM on my old Pentium III P.C. I am able to enjoy all the features of a typical Windows P.C in any average home: Beryl for Flip 3D effect, Open Office Org for office work, VLC and Totem for both Movies and Music, Firefox for internet surfing, Ekiga for VoIP services, Evolution and Thunderbird for accessing my mail account.
Moreover Ubuntu supports most Windows Applications through installing Wine (short for WIndows Emulator). Ubuntu also gives you the abiltiy to change workspaces to so that your applications don't get cluttered or hidden far behind when multitasking apart from Beryl.
Since it is Open Source, Advanced Users can easily add new new features to the OS through the terminal.
The only problem with most Linux Distributions is installing application. if the application is a RPM or Debian based package then its all right but if its a tarball, then you will have to download additional libraries for the package after which you will have to compile it with the source code. But since most of the daily used applications are installed so you will not have to deal with this situation much.
If you just want to have a taste of it just fire up a live DVD. It will not alter with your Windows installation but just 1 month of use will surely make you addicted to it.
If you want to wait for Windows 7 but fed up of the boring old Windows XP I suggets you give Ubuntu a shot

Ubuntu = New user

Fedora = Software Developer or Geek

Both are very good distros.....but who wants to try linux when they're already getting XP or Vista for free............. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
T

tallbeing

You are saying 0 out of 10,000! Well I am just a student of class VIII and believe me 35 (including me) of the 50 students in our class had a taste of Ubuntu and 29 of them are currently using it, if i count my seniors and kousins the number would have been many more. Most south indian states and west bengal have adopted Linux as their primary OS in Goverment Offices. I feel the ratio should have been at least 1 out of 500.
Moreover driver support for Ubuntu cannot be underestimated. For instance Realtek HD Audio in D945GCNL which is the current primary choice for most branded P.C. is not supported in XP. It is only through a simple trick (search the site, you will get it, written by Choto Cheetah) through which you will be able to install the sound driver. In addition to that the sound is coming from both my speakers and my Creative EP630 is not up to the mark from the P.C. whereas it runs just fine when plugged in my Sony Music System. The same is not the case with Ubuntu. With Pulse Audio the sound is Crisp with detailed Highs and Lows. The bass is also good.
Piracy is rampant in India. You cannot help stop it. But why encourage it. Instead we should suggest people to go with the Open Source Movement.
Lastly, you are right with the line Ubuntu=New User, Fedora=Software Developer or Geeks. Though Fedora has improved a lot but it is still lagging behind Ubuntu when taking in mind the number of apps bundled and the ease of use.

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
If you all are so interested to leave XP so why not try Ubuntu or Fedora. With Version 8.04 (Hardy Heron) Ubuntu has posed a serious threat to Microsoft.

ROFLMAO!!! serious threat to Microsoft. ROFLMAO!!!

PS: linux market share is increasing at 0.01% per year. Considering it as serious threat to Microsoft??

First and foremost, keep those linux things away from this thread. This thread is to discuss whether or not to upgrade to Vista.

So, post your ubunutu gubuntu things in linux thread. NOT IN HERE BUDDY!!!

here, this video is for you: *tv.truenuff.com/mac/gaming.php

Last edited:

prasath_digit

prasath->loves(APPLE);
Well I am just a student of class VIII

Hmmmmmmmmmm..........i don think so........;-)

Piracy is rampant in India. You cannot help stop it. But why encourage it. Instead we should suggest people to go with the Open Source Movement.

WAAAAAAAAT?.........U...u.u......really think tats gonna work in india?.......U really think people will listen?................hahahahaha....hooooohooo.......:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Last edited:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
also, ever thought why people in India (or all over the world) are not moving to Open Source softwares though they are free????

Lifebuoy muft mey mile ya na mile, I always use Cinthol :)

Last edited:
My Observations here:

Linux does NOT pose any challenge to windows vista. Vista is for different people, linux is for different people. Even if vista tries to grab into the market of linux, it will have almost negligible effect since both are completely different from each other.
Linux is for speciality users, power users, programmers, enthusiasts, educational users, home theater users, home PC users, internet cafes, security freaks, certain types of gamers, tweakers and FOSS lovers. Windows is for the "other" market.
Market share of linux has absolutely NO significance to its development, since linux lovers will forever contribute and help make linux better and better, without bothering what some Mr. X, Y or Z thinks about linux.

There is no point in trying to switch from Windows Vista to Windows XP using this methord for most people. There is a very good reason for this: The difference between XP and vista is obvious only in weaker hardware. Once you go beyond a certain point, there is little difference between the two and vista can actually start outperforming XP. Besides this, its actually cheaper to buy vista than XP today, so if you are going to get yourself a new computer, which will obviously be average to powerful by today's standards, getting XP will seem like a joke.

As for those people who currently use XP in their systems, there is little or no point in upgrading to windows vista, even if your system supports it fully, in situations where you are getting your work done perfectly by windows xp. When your current OS does everything you need it to, why switch and buy vista ? To fill money into MS's vault ?

also, ever thought why people in India (or all over the world) are not moving to Open Source softwares though they are free????

Lifebuoy muft mey mile ya na mile, I always use Cinthol :)
I have NO idea what kind of comparison you are using, but if you mean that a person always uses what he is used to using, you are absolutely true.

Last edited:

prasath_digit

prasath->loves(APPLE);
There is no point in trying to switch from Windows Vista to Windows XP using this methord for most people. There is a very good reason for this: The difference between XP and vista is obvious only in weaker hardware. Once you go beyond a certain point, there is little difference between the two and vista can actually start outperforming XP. Besides this, its actually cheaper to buy vista than XP today, so if you are going to get yourself a new computer, which will obviously be average to powerful by today's standards, getting XP will seem like a joke.

Well said man, I agree on this 100%.......... :smile:

PS: linux market share is increasing at 0.01% per year. Considering it as serious threat to Microsoft??

First and foremost, keep those linux things away from this thread. This thread is to discuss whether or not to upgrade to Vista.

So, post your ubunutu gubuntu things in linux thread. NOT IN HERE BUDDY!!!

here, this video is for you: *tv.truenuff.com/mac/gaming.php

HA HA .............. :eek: :eek: :eek:...........Well said man..........well said..........:eek:

Last edited:
T

tallbeing

I don't know from which pandits you take tutions from but the number 0.01% is absolutely wrong. Read these excerpt from:

"*blogs.zdnet.com/ITFacts/?p=68"

"Sales of PCs running Linux will reach $10 billion by 2008, IDC predicts. Linux is expected to be used on about 17 mln Linux PCs in 2008, bringing the total installed base to 42.6 mln. Market share of new and used PCs running Linux is expected to grow from 3% in 2003 to 7% in 2008."

Apart from that AirTel, Hutch, LIC SBI have most of their computers and almost all the servers running a Linux based O.S. Now my point is if their Office computers are equipped with linux then surely they will opt for at least one linux P.C. or dual boot their existing P.C.

Last edited by a moderator:

desiibond

Bond, Desi Bond!
I don't know from which pandits you take tutions from but the number 0.01% is absolutely wrong. Read these excerpt from:

"*blogs.zdnet.com/ITFacts/?p=68"

"Sales of PCs running Linux will reach $10 billion by 2008, IDC predicts. Linux is expected to be used on about 17 mln Linux PCs in 2008, bringing the total installed base to 42.6 mln. Market share of new and used PCs running Linux is expected to grow from 3% in 2003 to 7% in 2008."

Apart from that AirTel, Hutch, LIC SBI have most of their computers and almost all the servers running a Linux based O.S. Now my point is if their Office computers are equipped with linux then surely they will opt for at least one linux P.C. or dual boot their existing P.C.

Dude. Told you. This is not ubuntu gubuntu thread. Stick to linux threads. We have had enough of this nuisance.

PS:
Market share of new and used PCs running Linux is expected to grow from 3% in 2003 to 7% in 2008.
expected doesn't mean that it has market share.

T

tallbeing

PS: expected doesn't mean that it has market share.

Haven't you seen that 3% growth. Its far more better than the false 0.01%

And for the Ubuntu Gubuntu whatever, I only mentioned it as an alternative and you people made a whole lot of issue out of it. Moreover most people in the Linux thread already know about Ubuntu in and out.

If you ask me to choose between XP and Vista I would recommend to buy a mere Vista capable hardware and stick to XP because Vista ready hardware still costs a premium and why to spend on such high configuration P.C. when the next version of Windows will not even need half of it. Unless you are gaming or CADD designer you will just spending your bucks in vain. Wait for the release of Windows 7. Read articles and reviews on that, compare between them and choose the OS you feel like. If Vista then up your RAM by a GIG, if Win7 then do nothing. If you are buying branded then you have no option but to stick to Vista.

Sticking to XP will make you lose nothing. Most games are still made keeping DX9 in mind. You will have more apps to run than Vista. Service 3 though does not have UAC but does a very good job when paired with a Anti Virus.The Aero effect (I don't recommend it, very taxing on the system) can be gained through a simple Vista theme install. Still better you can install a MAC theme with the Dock (FlyakiteOSX) The Instant search and Sidebar through Google Desktop, Flip 3D through Shock Aero, Backup and Restore utility not at all usefull you cannot even mention the files to backed up, though Shadow Copy found in Business and Ultimate incorporates this feature, but you will still find yourself using the backup utility bundled with the External HDD or whatever for they are optimised for the product. The Apps bundled with Vista run smoothly in XP like Windows Media Player 11 and IE7. For the 64 bit OS I cannot help but this feature doesn't matter an average home user. Moreover it doesn't gain us any performance hikes unless we are on a premium hardware.

^^Let me get some reality into you:

Vista is cheaper than Windows XP at this time

Only an idiot will buy a vista capable system (or atleast, see reason below, a lower end dual core rig) and invest a lot of money and pay up 8.5K to get XP pro. Instead, a clever person would buy Vista Premium for 4.5K or Vista basic for 3K and spend that remaining cash on getting a better rig. (Or in my personal case, just spend the entire 8.5K on an awssome GPU and not get vista at all, but thats not the topic of the thread).

Vista capable indeed :rolleyes: Do you KNOW the system which is supposed to be "vista capable" ? A 2.0GHz Sempron LE with some VIA Motherboard with onboard unichrome graphics and 512MB DDR2 667MHz RAM. :lol: NOBODY in their right mind would buy this today to run XP or Linux and expect to play lots of games. And again, even if you buy this system, 8.5K or even 4K is more than enough to replace this with a mainstream setup which can run vista.

Ans you forget that vista is much much more secure than xp. Its supposed to be a GOOD thing, so again, vista gains points over XP.

Anyway, its all about MONEY. It makes no sense to buy XP to "save cash", when you actually end up LOSING cash. The one and only reason to use this vista downgrade rights and buy Vista Business is if your or your company NEED to use xp because you run some software thats available only on XP and you have no other alternative or solution within that 4K. OR because you hate vista so much that spending an extra 4K for XP is not a problem. OR because you want to help make microsoft richer.

I don't mean to attack you, but its just that you got most of your economics wrong. Think over it a little better, even if you use the linux point of view, I am sure you will see that getting XP == waste of cash in most situations.

T

tallbeing

Yes you are right. I was a bit wrong in insisting XP over Vista. But running Vista with just 512 MB of RAM will not even prove a novice of any help. You need to have at least 1.5 to 2 GB for a decent Vista experience. And a GPU is a must for AERO and Flip 3D unless you want you want a crashing system.
So if you own a copy of XP already then you can follow up my suggestion. And since most assemblers still own a copy of XP, going with XP will be smarter choice at least for another year and a half before the release of Win7
And for those who already own a P.C here is a simple Mantra
If its not broken why fix it. You are getting most features of Vista. Read my previous post again.

Yes you are right. I was a bit wrong in insisting XP over Vista. But running Vista with just 512 MB of RAM will not even prove a novice of any help. You need to have at least 1.5 to 2 GB for a decent Vista experience. And a GPU is a must for AERO and Flip 3D unless you want you want a crashing system.
So if you own a copy of XP already then you can follow up my suggestion. And since most assemblers still own a copy of XP, going with XP will be smarter choice at least for another year and a half before the release of Win7
And for those who already own a P.C here is a simple Mantra
If its not broken why fix it. You are getting most features of Vista. Read my previous post again.
NOW you are making lots of sense. But just one mistake: You can run vista flawlessly on an Intel Pentium D 1.8GHz with 1GB DDR2 667MHz RAM and an older generation Intel onboard (forgot name; must be gma 950 or gma 3000). My friend has Vista Ultimate and he confirmed it.

axxo

99.9% Idle
I see no support for XP 64 these days, software products for XP 64 are hardly available now and no more it seems. Ex - AT&T Network Client is available for Vista x64 but not for XP x64 without which I would not be able to connect my companys network.

I see no support for XP 64 these days, software products for XP 64 are hardly available now and no more it seems. Ex - AT&T Network Client is available for Vista x64 but not for XP x64 without which I would not be able to connect my companys network.
I don't see any software at all online for XP advertised as running on XP 64. :|

PS: what do YOU use ?

T

tallbeing

Since your daily app does not support XP I will happily suggest you Win Vista. Make sure you have one and half or two gig of RAM and as suggested by MetalheadGautham at least a Dual Core 1.8 Ghz Processor
As for support for XP, companies are waiting for the release of Service Pack 3 for the 64 bit edition which is scheduled together with the release of the next service pack of Win2000 later this year or early next year.
Vista doesn't taxes up the processor much. So even a pentium4 3Ghz or above should do fine. Its only the RAM that Vista is so fond of. Maybe you friend doesn't have any sort of heavy background apps running but my dual boot XP (and Ubuntu) system with CA antivirus and Spybot running as background don't let the page file usages below 500 MB despite having 1 GB of RAM.
GMA series though not as powerful as those from nVidia's onboard solution offers a good onboard graphics solution for a HTPC. I myself own a Intel Original D945GCNL Motherboard with onboard Graphics Media Accelerator 950 and it is easily handling ShockAero (an app for Flip3D for XP) but I doubt with AERO, Real Time Scanning (a feature with most anti virus) Flip3D and a HD movie on,,,, will just 1 GB of RAM be able to take on all the mem usages easily. I had a very bad experience with one of the Vista Transformation Pack. The OS start would take almost 6 to 7 minutes. The page file size would double the size of the RAM. Opening My Computer would almost take 10 to 15 sec. Start>All Program almost crashes Eveready.
If the condition with just a transformation pack is such miserable, what will happen with the real OS with the addition of UAC.
My Sys: Intel C2D 2.2 Ghz (E4500)
Intel Original D945GCNL
1 GB Corsair Value Select
Graphics: Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom