A new Cell Phone Reqd: Budget 20k

mukherjee

Treatment in progress...
Will be buying a phone for my dad...questionnaire filled up below.
To sum up my doubts,"I am totally confused"

1. Budget?
20k (Maybe extended to 25k if reqd)

2. Display type and size?
Capacitative touchsreen 3.5''(min)

3. Form Factor? bar, slider, flip?
Bar

4. Preferred choice of brand?
Any

5. Preferred input method (QWERTY, touchscreen, numpad, touch-n-type).
Touchscreen is ok,if there's a physical keypad,all the better.

6. What camera option you want? Please specify need for flash, autofocus, front facing camera.
5 Megapixel minimum,
Autofocus must
Flash must
,front facing camera if present all the better

7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).
1st:Android(2.3 Gingerbread atleast)
2nd: Symbian
No iOS or WP.

8. Preferred connectivity options (3G, Wifi etc)Please specify clearly.
3G must,Wifi optional.

9. Preferred applications (Flash, Swype, GPS, etc)?
Flash,GPS,....

10. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, mails, internet, gaming etc)?
Camera,Internet,Office,Gaming

11. Any specific mobile phones in consideration?
Have been looking at the Samsung Galaxy S(lacks camera flash)
Also,SE Xperia Mini Pro(very average camera,small screen,Apps sluggish?)
SE Xperia Ray(has it launched yet?)
SE Xperia Arc(has it launched?)
LG Optimus 2X(too costly?)
Motorola Defy(Is it ok?)

HTC Incredible S(with 2.2 froyo...is this phone any good?)
HTC Desire S

12. Any other info that you want to share
RAM: Must be 512MB Minimum...more the merrier
Purchase coming up in October

Please advise on my options.

aroraanant

Explorer
Incrwdible S has gingerbread(2.3) out of the box.a very good phone and ACCORDING TO ME the only andriid phones which are available right now and can be compared to it are galaxy SII and sensation.it is available for 23-23.5k

And it also meet all ur requirements

aniket.cain

Padawan
You can get the Nexus S for 19.5k from here:
BRAND NEW SAMSUNG NEXUS S WITH VAT PAID BILL + WARRANTY | eBay

Or you can get the LG Optimus 2X for 23.5k from here (after applying RCOMLB1 to get 1000/- discount):
Buy LG Optimus 2X P990/Android 2.2 Froyo/Dual Core Processor/8MP/Wi-Fi & 3G at Best Price in India - Also find Specifications, Photos, Features & Reviews

varuog

Journeyman
Even I am in need of a phone in the similar price range.
I've been long waiting for the Defy+ as it best suited all my needs and was the most value for money.
Apart from that I also liked the SE Xperia Ray and the Nexus S.

oval_man

Journeyman
So................you..need a good mobile....! Right!!!!

What about this spec:

* 3.5" capacitative touch screen,

* Android 2.3.4 latest OS,

* 5MP cam Autofocus,Flash+,with secondary cam for video calls,

* Wi-Fi,

* FM radio,

* 3G+ with all regular features,

* 1yr manufacturer warranty with Bill

* Name: "MOTOROLA FIRE XT"

* Price: Only Rs.11,490 with FREE SHIPPING..............!!

VERY TEMPTING OFFER

Have a look: BRAND NEW MOTOROLA FIRE XT ANDROID 2.3 3.5"SCREEN 5MP CAM VIDEO CALLING PHONE | eBay

Sarath

iDota
If camera is your main usage then nothing beats the Nokia N8. Its (much) younger sibling the C7 trumped both my xperia arc and the iphone 4 in picture quality, especially without the Carl Zeiss optics. The N8 with Carl Zeiss has clicked the best pictures I have ever seen on a device that makes calls. The xperia arc is second best due to the Exmor R sensor.

But if you like apps and games then getting Android would make more sense since you have already ditched iOS.

Android: Internet, Office, Gaming
Symbian: Internet, Office , Camera

I would suggest you go with Android on 2.3 if camera is not much of a need. And please root it.

Among your choices, xperia arc has no front facing camera.

mukeshgupta

Broken In
Mukherjee & Varuog, the HTC Desire S, Incredible S & LG Optimus 2x match your requirement. I have not listed the ones that are yet to be released/ available.

Also the N8 is a great phone if you are not adverse to Symbian and if you are not into gaming.

Lowest prices
LG Optimus 2X @23.9K at Saholic
HTC Incredible S @23.1K at Flipkart
HTC Desire S @21.6K at Saholic
Nokia N8 @21.5K

You should also have a look at the new Bbry Torch 9860, probably would cost around 22-25K. The features look cool and it is supposed to be the best Bbry has launched in India so far.

Deepaks

Broken In
In this Budget I am also confused what to buy between Motorola Defy and HTC Chacha.
Both are excellent phone. HTC chacha got qwerty Defy got high quality protection.
As you mentioned you can extend your budget upto 25, make it 27 and Grab Samsung SII
else Buy Moto Defy or Defy+.
I will buy defy when my confusion doesnt get over.

lll_aritra_lll

A siLLy mIllImEtEr loNGer
I have ordered defy for 13.5k 3 days before. and probably will have it in hand in 1-2 days.

and @mukherjee u can go for HTC Incredible S ir HTC Sensation or increase ur budget for Galaxy S2. LG optimus 2x is a nice one too

dharmil007

Journeyman
@ mukherjee
go for Nexus S indoubtely.
iF u can find it, just take it.
'coz Nexus S is just like a gem very Rare to find.
or
else u can also go for Incredible S

dashing.sujay

Moving
Staff member
+1 for Xperia Ray @ 19k (yeah it has launched, although available not locally, rather on pre-order form flipkart) Only -ve point as per ur requirement is that, its screen size is 3.3 inches (u mentioned a min of 3.5inch).

Also look for Xperia Arc S, It has got all the things, just i presume, it will cross ur budget.

VivekJadhav

Right off the assembly line
I have much of the same requirements as mukherjee...after reading up on different phones on gsmarena I finally settled on Motorola Atrix 4G only to discover that it hasn't been launched in India.

Other than the requirements mentioned by mukherjee, I also wanted the phone to come with a front facing camera. So that rules out Defy or even the Defy + , if that get's launched. And my search is confined to Android phones.

I have had bad experience with LG, which was my first phone, so not keen on Optimus2X either.

So totally confused. :-?

I am willing to wait for another 1-2 months, so is there any phone which would get launched in this period or any expectations of price cuts ?

Deepaks

Broken In
@vivek.. go for HTC

My Mind has a bit changed now, I searched a lot online but no phone is perfect. First I thought HTC Chacha then someone suggested me in this forum for Moto Defy. But later i found that if we talk about overall package, HTC chacha is the phone under and upto Price of 20000 which will not disappoint to anyone, specially for those person who wants everything in a phone like:
High-res rear camera and Good Front camera, Capaciative touch, Excellent future proof Android OS, Physical qwerty keypad, Good Screen Resoultion, Unique Design and Documents too.

lll_aritra_lll

A siLLy mIllImEtEr loNGer
few days ago.. galaxy S was on 15.9k in ebay

@desire Z is 17k in saholic.. GSMarena said its better than desire s

varuog

Journeyman
After a lot of positive reviews on Motorola Defy, I had made up my mind to buy the Defy+. It's been more than a month of waiting now, and I need to get a phone in the next week itself.

Since the chances of Defy+, getting available within next 7 to 10 days is almost negligible, I am looking for alternatives now.

Requirements are not very specific as I am looking for an all round performer.
Budget is 20k.
I have been wondering over Galaxy SL, Galaxy S and Nexus S.
Even Xperia Ray looks nice, but the screen is too small.

Please suggest me, which among them is the best, or if there is any other better performer.
(P.S. I am NOT very keen to get an HTC phone).

Go for Galaxy S if you dont care for official updates, and flash in camera else Nexus S.

My opinion Galaxy S will get unofficial updates through Xda so its VFM phone.

varuog

Journeyman
Flash is not a must have for me, although its always good to have one.
Same goes with the official update thing.

Top Bottom