A Guide to Copying DVD Movies

Status
Not open for further replies.

hsnayvid

Journeyman
lovely discussion over here!!

Downloadind intervideo! Big file will take hell lot of time.

I'd also like to know which is the best s/ware to convert the files into divx or xvid formats so I can have 1.x GB files (or even less) with excellent quality.

OP
G

geekysage

Journeyman
My first post i.e. the tutorial already contains links to good applications for ripping a DVD movie to DivX/Xvid. Also look at the linked tutorial for step by step instructions. I admit the process takes quite some time but you have the option to virtually change anything you want.

By the way, DVDCopy 4 Platinum does one click ripping to DivX, Xvid, WMV, etc. and i must say, it does a pretty good job. A WMV rip could produce file sizes in the range of 350-400MB, while a decent quality Xvid rip could take 1.x GB (i.e. 2 CD rip.)

Hope this helps. Good luck and thanks for dropping by.

S

SignificantMind

I haven't tried any other application instead of nero 6 but im fine with dvd decrypter and I haven't got any errors from it except for cylindical reading error on movie called "Spanglish"(which requires dvd43 for the solution like what I said from the first reply to this topic.)

OP
G

geekysage

Journeyman
@SignificantMind: My last post was a reply to hsnayvid's question. However, i could see how you got confused and defensive.

Anyhow, thanks for sharing and adding to the topic.

Maybe other forum members could post links to such softwares or tutorials to get rid of errors and I will append it to the original tutorial.

CyCo

In the zone
can ne1 tell me what 2 do ??

i have already copied the mov (copy-paste) and have only the VOB files with me .. and now i need to compress them just for storage purpose .. i dont want to lose the quality and sound but wanna get it down to smallest possible size ..

i tht it wd wrk as it does for dat files in vcds :(

ne suggestions of wat 2 do ??

go4saket

First of all Cyco, this is a forum where all kinds of people get along, so it is advicable not to use short words as we use in SMS. I am sure typing the whole word wouldn't be such a pain.

As for your problem, have one thing clear that if you compress the video file, you will loose quality. If the compression ratio is less, the loss is less and if more, the loss is going to be huge.

Try DVD Shrink to compress you DVD movies, but for that you will need all the files, i.e. the .bup and .ifo filies along with the .vob files. Incase if you haven't copied these files, try to regenerate these files with Nero Vision Express. If you want to store these .vob files in some other format, try InterVideo DVDCopy 4. Is has pretty good options.

CyCo

In the zone
sorry about the short forms but this is the 1st post where someone commented on that ....

when i compress the dat files to 50% size in divx using virtualdub , the quality is the same and size half ...

ne other suggestions coz i got like 40 dvds waitin to b converted ....

go4saket

CyCo said:
sorry about the short forms but this is the 1st post where someone commented on that ....

when i compress the dat files to 50% size in divx using virtualdub , the quality is the same and size half ...

ne other suggestions coz i got like 40 dvds waitin to b converted ....

There's ofcourse a quality fall, but that is so less, or better say in such a way that we genreally arn't able to make it out. It only is clearly visible when we try to compress too much. Moreover, there are people who are too quality concious and they just try to find out places where they can find a quality loss. Incase if you want to keep it for your personal collection, you can ofcourse go for it as I do the same.

CyCo

In the zone
@dIgItaL_BrAt,go4saket doesnt help .... i need the name of softwares ...

i used dvd shrink today and it gave an error as i didnt havethe ifo file ..

i used dvd to avi converter and that put the 1GB DVD into 560MB video and 1.1GB audio ... lolz ..

plz help

go4saket

As I already said, if you donot have the ifo files, generate them with the help of Nero Express 3. Then after that you can use any software to compress your vob files.

CyCo

In the zone
dIgItaL_BrAt said:
a better method would be to use IfoEdit to create the ifo's
Link--->*www.doom9.org/Soft21/Vobtools/Ifoedit0971.zip

amazin software .. got the ifos , bups etc ..

now the only prob remaining is how to convert the dvd into a smaller size .. say 2.1 GB into 1GB or less ??

i tried dvd shrink and it loaded the files [only when i used the option - Create a PGC for each new VOBID] ....

but i cant find how to compress it ...

i even read a tutorial but didnt get it ....

dIgItaL_BrAt

Cyborg Agent
In DVD Shrink
Preferences--->Target DVD size--->Custom

though i would not suggest this method as it leads to a lot of loss in quality.You would be much better off encoding into Nero Digital/RMVB.

Dipen01

Youngling
I hope i am not diverting the topic..am posting as its related to DVD's...

Well everybody here probably know that the Pirated DVD's we get in market ..which mostly contains 4-5 movies..in a single DVD and i have even noticed that the DVD is 4.7 GB...and more importantly it even works on SIMPLE dvd player. so how does it work..i mean how does they create this kinda DVD.

Well 4-5 DVD Quality movies are not possible in single 4.7 GB DVD. So may be they burn the movies of VCD Quality or even worse. So how do they do that.

I have some 4-5 VCD movies and i needed to burn them on Single DVD. and most importantly i want them to run on SIMPLE dvd player..!!!

Any ideas , suggestion....people..

Regards,
Dipen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom