9500gt in place of 8600gt (rma)

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
My friend has got xfx 8600gt 512mb ddr3 bought in oct 2008. It got damaged a few days back. He gave it for rma. Now rashi is offering him 9500gt 1gb ddr2 in replacement. Should he accept it?
The card was originally purchased for 4.2k

saswat23

Human Spambot
Else you can ask them to for a GTS-240 in replacement. They might charge for it, but get it. Its a much better card.

A DDR2 gfx crd is really not really worth it now a days.

OP
Cool Buddy

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Do they allow that? Pay the difference and get a better card?
I'll tell him to ask for GT240 then. What would be a reasonable price to pay for the difference?

Cilus

laborare est orare
I don't think they allow it. BTW, if you are gettting GT 240, make sure you get the 512 MB GDDR5 version. the DDR3 version performs slightly lower than 9600 GT 512 MB GDDR3.

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
I don't think they allow it. BTW, if you are gettting GT 240, make sure you get the 512 MB GDDR5 version. the DDR3 version performs slightly lower than 9600 GT 512 MB GDDR3.

Good points mentioned here.
But the point to consider is, I don't think they will allow this. If they allow upgrading, then anyone can self damage any old card, get there for rma & upgrade it. Wow! too cool to consider.

OP
Cool Buddy

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Good points mentioned here.
But the point to consider is, I don't think they will allow this. If they allow upgrading, then anyone can self damage any old card, get there for rma & upgrade it. Wow! too cool to consider.

That's what I though too.

I told him to ask for at least DDR3 version of 9500 GT. But I know that is not available. When I was buying my gfx card, I had asked for it in many shops, it wasn't available anywhere. So no question of it being available now.

Fun thing: the person at Rashi said that the card that was returned was 512MB card and the one being offered was 1 GB card, so obviously it was better! :rofl::rofl:

I remember having read a review of the 1GB 9500 that said that the card didn't have enough processing power to use that much memory and only half of it was actually utilised, it gave 2-3 FPS more than the 512MB card

Top Bottom