32-Bit and 64-Bit computing Difference

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayavardhanarao

Broken In
Hai to all. I am planning to buy a new PC. I am unable to decide which PC to go for i,e for 32-bit or for 64-bit. Hence i want to know what exactly 32-bit and 64-bit means. Please tell me the difference and what is the benefits and drawbacks of these architectures. So that i will buy a PC taking your advise in consideration. Please tell me in detail.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Most of the computer around us are 32bit & they work fine but there are many times we need heavy duty work with lots of task being done at the same time then 32bit computing is quite limited in power to do multi tasking.

64bit computer are meant for that heavy lifting & can use 12-16gb of ram & upwards too, 32bit ram usage is limited to 3gb only that too with special switch in the ini file.

So if your work is regular computing then 32bit suits your needs but if you are in for heavy load of computing & multi tasking then go for x64 computing. The real noticeable difference with x64 hardware will be when you use
x64 OS (xp/vista/linux all have x64 editions) along with
x64 softwares (quite many are available in x64 edition too)& having more than 4gb of ram.

x64 OS can let you use 32bit softwares without any problems.

NOTE:- You should check that all your additional hardware have x64 drivers available else you will have serious headaches finding them & getting ur hardware work. (webcam/soundcard/printer etc.)

Last edited:

acewin

Point Blanc
I think you guys are little bit confused, you do not have 32 bit proccies any more now, so the CPU will always be 64-bit,

Its just OSes as you all have suggested is 32 bit or 64 bit.
64-bit is more powerful than 32 bit, whether it be OS or proccy

RMN

In the zone
hmm....my primary need apart from daily use is Multimedia & Graphic development.
so 64 is a better choice right?

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
hmm....my primary need apart from daily use is Multimedia & Graphic development.
so 64 is a better choice right?
Multimedia & Graphic development is a very broad term, please specify the actual task which you feel are heavy duty.

Do you encode movies to divX? many of them in a day?
Do you convert various multimedia formats to a different formats?
Do you have to open 2-4gb image files & work a lot on them & save it?
do you need to open 100 images together & work on them 1-1?
While doing any of the above do you need to have your downloading in background + writing a dvd+playing songs checking mails etc etc.?

If yes then x64 system will suit ur need, but make sure that you have x64 bit version of ur software to get the maximum speed benefit.

infra_red_dude

Wire muncher!
Hai to all. I am planning to buy a new PC. I am unable to decide which PC to go for i,e for 32-bit or for 64-bit. Hence i want to know what exactly 32-bit and 64-bit means. Please tell me the difference and what is the benefits and drawbacks of these architectures. So that i will buy a PC taking your advise in consideration. Please tell me in detail.
To put in very very simple terms:

1) Consider 32bit as a 32 lane highway.
2) Consider 64bit as a 64 lane highway.

So on a 32bit computer 32 cars can come at a time, on a 64bit computer (processor, actually) 64 cars can come at a time. So obviously 64bit is better, rite?

However, consider the current scenario. You haf a 64 lane highway but there are only 32 cars. So the other 32 lanes are not utilized. This is what happens if you haf a 64bit CPU but your software is written for 32bit CPU. Hence when 64bit ready software come out, your 64bit CPU would be fully utilized.

Currently most of the software are still 32bit while all of the processors available today haf migrated to 64bit.

I hope I didn't confuse you.

Note: The above explanation is not 100% technically correct, but I suppose it clears the concept :)

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
I guess as a thumb rule if you don't know what 64 bit is then you don't need it :) ....

unless! unless you are an artist or something and needs to things like -
Do you have to open 2-4gb image files & work a lot on them & save it?
do you need to open 100 images together & work on them 1-1?
2-4gb image files!! baap re! papa! :shock: .. dude plz elaborate

techtronic

I Always Prefer 1080p
Your hardware can be 64-Bit but IMHO 64 Bit OS can cause severe headaches sometimes.

Classic example, replacing Intex Ethernet Card for an on board Ethernet which has stopped working.

If its Windows XP 32 Bit with SP2, unsigned drivers are accepted, but the NIC cannot be installed in Windows XP 64 Bit as the OS doesnt accept unsigned drivers. Same is the case with Windows Server 2003 32 and 64 Bit.

arijit_2404

still find time for games
windows 64bit has in-built 32-bit emulator.. which can run almost all 32bit apps. except few rare apps.
you should go for 64bit...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom