24x7 download rig and HTPC

darth_vader1280

Broken In
1. What is the purpose of the computer? What all applications and games are you going to run? (Stupid answers like 'gaming' or 'office work' will not work. Be exact. Which games? Which applications? Avoid the word 'et cetera.')
Ans:HTPC and download rig

2. What is your overall budget? If you can extend a bit for a more balanced configuration, then mention this too.
Ans: max 20000

3. Planning to overclock?
Ans: no

4. Which Operating System are you planning to use?
Ans: win7 ultimate

5. How much hard drive space is needed?
Ans: 1tb or 500gb if budget is exceeded

6. Do you want to buy a monitor? If yes, please mention which screen size and resolution do you want. If you already have a monitor and want to reuse it, again mention the size and resolution of monitor you have.
Ans:no, it will be connected to a HDtv

7. Which components you DON'T want to buy or which components you already have and plan on reusing?
Ans: ram and keyboard, mouse, speakers

8. When are you planning to buy the system?
Ans: within a week

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
Ans: i will assemble it

10. Where do you live? Are you buying locally? Are you open to buying stuff from online shops if you don't get locally?
Ans:i live in Hassan, Karnataka. will buy online or SP road, B'lore if it is cheaper there

11. Anything else which you would like to say?
Ans:i have two configs in mind
these prebuilt
Assembled HTPC / Media Player / Compact PC / Computer / Barebone kit | eBay
Vtronix Mini Pc Media Player AMD DC FULL HD HDMI 500GB HDD 2GB USB 3.0 WIFT BT | eBay
or
Amd A4-4000 - 3150 AMD A4 4000 Richland 3.2GHz Socket FM2 65W Dual-Core Desktop Processor
MSI FM2-A55M-E33 - 3296 *www.flipkart.com/msi-fm2-a55m-e33-...5KVX&ref=b29d7889-227a-468f-95bf-5f7f9cc4f548
ZEBRONIC GENESIS SLIM ATX CABINET - 2199 ZEBRONIC GENESIS SLIM ATX CABINET COMPUTER MINI TOWER WITH POWER SUPPLY | eBay or
ZEBRONIC CABINET SLIM PEACE - 2199 ZEBRONIC CABINET SLIM PEACE + POWER SUPPLY | eBay
Antec BP 300 psu - 2150 ANTEC POWERSUPPLIES SMPS/PSU BP 300 | eBay
WD HARD DISK 1 TB - 4000 ON SALE! - WD HARD DISK 1 TB SATA - Rs.4,099 - HARD DRIVE - WELCOME TO MDCOMPUTERS ::::::::::The Ultimate IT Solutions::::::::::

i still prefer mini itx build, but can't seen to find any mini itx FM2 based motherboard without going overbudget.

Last edited:

Cilus

laborare est orare
If you ask me the best solution, my answer is a Sub Notebook based on Intel 3rd Gen Celeron ULV Processors like 1007U. ASUS X201E-KX178D Laptop (Celeron Dual Core 1007U - 2GB RAM - 500GB HDD - 11.6 inches @ 1366X768, 1.38 KG, 2 USB 2.0 1XUSB 3.0, HDMI, 100 Mbps Lan, Full Aluminum internal chassis - DOS) @ 18.6K with 400 cash back @ Snapdeal is the best option for you. I have this laptop with Windows 8 64 bit installed and ut handles it pretty smoothly. Look wise, it is almost a Mac book air. It cn handle Full HD video with ease.

Laptops - Buy Laptops Online in India @ Best Prices | Snapdeal.com

If you ask me the best solution, my answer is a Sub Notebook based on Intel 3rd Gen Celeron ULV Processors like 1007U. ASUS X201E-KX178D Laptop (Celeron Dual Core 1007U - 2GB RAM - 500GB HDD - 11.6 inches @ 1366X768, 1.38 KG, 2 USB 2.0 1XUSB 3.0, HDMI, 100 Mbps Lan, Full Aluminum internal chassis - DOS) @ 18.6K with 400 cash back @ Snapdeal is the best option for you. I have this laptop with Windows 8 64 bit installed and ut handles it pretty smoothly. Look wise, it is almost a Mac book air. It cn handle Full HD video with ease.

Will a laptop be a good HTPC?

OP
darth_vader1280

darth_vader1280

Broken In
> Which ram do you have?

> WHy not go with Raspberry Pi?
i have 4gb corsair 1333mhz. i think rasberry pi can't do hdaudio bitstreaming

no laptops please, i want something that can be upgraded in the future.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot

+1....

no laptops please, i want something that can be upgraded in the future.

Download and HTPC rig up-gradable for what? 4K and Blu Ray?

Cilus

laborare est orare
How do you want to upgrade an HTPC and download rig? Buy a good full HD display and an external BD drive and connect them to the Lappy with HDMI and USB respectively.

Hrishi

i don't know why you people are suggesting laptop when i clearly don't need it.

I cannot vouch for HTPC but as a download machine a laptop will be times better.

-> less power consumption . ( savings on electric bill on a long run )
-> no separate components .
-> can keep downloading 24x7 without caring much about power cuts.

-> can take it anywhere .

The only reason you should go for a desktop would be for performance concerns.

I had a mini laptop myself for more than a year and it served me damn well.

Rest its your decision.

The Incinerator

Human Spambot
Its because you can download without spending on electricity bills, and avoid heat ,clutter, wires and can watch movies in the same lines too if you are not in to madVR and gpu acceleration for videos and save money initially and there after too. Thats the only reason. I was running up quite a lot of electricity bill just for watching movies and downloading using PC,which I felt was a waste ,hence I moved on to a Laptop and then to a TAB for downloading torrents 24x7 and watching movies via its HDMI on to a big full HD flat panel. Bills are down to almost nil!

If you still think you want stand alone PC for downloading and watching movies get an APU based AMD rig.

Last edited:

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
if you don't want laptop then get intel pentium G2010 for ~3500,GIGABYTE B75M-D2V for ~4200,4gb corsair 1600 ram for ~2300,1tb seagate/wd for ~4200,corsair VS450 psu for ~2400 & you are good to go.

Top Bottom