24x7 always on laptop

rahul_c

Journeyman
I have a Dell Vostro 1510 laptop which I am using extremely :cool: since couple of weeks (mostly for downloading), it is always plugged in and running mostly.

I was just wondering how much impact its going to have on the laptop life. I make sure it screen is off and lid is closed also I had recently configured 'maximum processor state' under advance power settings to 20% it has significantly reduced the fan speed and thus the temperature.

Is there anything else that can be done to make sure my laptop doesn't heat up exceedingly?

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Keep laptop in an AC room to keep it cooled.
Clean the side vents.

Disable uneccesary programs.
Keep lappy slightky tilted with the vent side in elevation

OP
rahul_c

rahul_c

Journeyman
OK. I am not sure at what temperature my laptop is running, what software should I use? I dont have a AC, what about cooling pads do they work? I have heard they dont make any considerable difference.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Use these-- links---
Open Hardware Monitor | CPU Temperature, Fan Speed, Voltages, Clocks and More

Real Temp - CPU temperature monitoring

Please post sceen shots of temparatures

OP
rahul_c

rahul_c

Journeyman
Open hardware monitor was showing 5-9 units lower temperature.

Heavy load (encoding video)-
*i56.tinypic.com/73kume.jpg

Idle for 5 minutes-
*i51.tinypic.com/2wqso7r.jpg

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Stop using the laptop....98c will FRY your proccy!!!!!!!!!!

YOu will be destroyed,..

Dont do heavy stuff now

OP
rahul_c

rahul_c

Journeyman
I guess I should not encode videos on my laptop, temperature are fine when idle so its ok to keep it running idle for long hrs?

noob

Cyborg Agent
Do it. If using windows 7, set it at Power saving mode. I am keeping same at room temp and no issues.

BTW, no power cut at your end ? :D

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
rahul_c said:
I guess I should not encode videos on my laptop, temperature are fine when idle so its ok to keep it running idle for long hrs?

No man. They are way too high as well. They should be the temparatures when running under load.

I reccomend to clean your laptop or atleast get it to servicing problem and ask them to clean it.

OP
rahul_c

rahul_c

Journeyman
OK, I just configured 'Max processor state' and made it 50% and now the temperature didn't exceed 60 C ever.

Anil Jadhav said:
Do it. If using windows 7, set it at Power saving mode. I am keeping same at room temp and no issues.
BTW, no power cut at your end ? :D
Yes I live in Uttrakhand power cut is not a issue here. :mrgreen:

thetechfreak said:
No man. They are way too high as well. They should be the temparatures when running under load.
I reccomend to clean your laptop or atleast get it to servicing problem and ask them to clean it.
Is 60 C hot?

Zangetsu said:
No effect on Hardware..only u have to change the battery early by default it is 3yrs
But its not running on battery, I always keep it plugged in how is it affecting the battery life?

Last edited:

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
rahul_c said:
^No battery is there but its always fully charged(100%)

What kind of battery life you get? Probably very bad.
amitsva82 said:
No it won't. been running over 100c for 2 years 16hrs a day.

Well, it won't affect you right now. But it reduces life of proccy and GPU. Can you keep a laptop running at 100c on your lap? Don't think so.

Most laptop suffer from overheating due to lack of cooling. But laptop GPU's anc CPU are designed in such a way that they can withstand higher tepratures.

Laptops can run upto 70c. But 90c and 100c is way too high.

noob

Cyborg Agent
my laptop battery died after 1 year..now using without battery.

Running lappy without battery is like having sex without condom :p you never know when a small mistake (power cut) will cost you a failure in HDD :p

OP
rahul_c

rahul_c

Journeyman
What kind of battery life you get? Probably very bad.
Yes I do get poor battery life it hardly exceeds 1hr (minimum display brightness and browsing web). What should I do stop this degradation in battery life? Cant I tell windows to directly run via AC and not charge battery without removing it?

talktoanil said:
Running lappy without battery is like having sex without condom you never know when a small mistake (power cut) will cost you a failure in HDD
:rofl:

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
rahul_c said:
What should I do stop this degradation in battery life?

Have a look here- 10 Tips to make your Laptop Battery last longer
rahul_c said:
Cant I tell windows to directly run via AC and not charge battery without removing it?

I don't think so :(

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
Open hardware monitor was showing 5-9 units lower temperature.

Heavy load (encoding video)-
*i56.tinypic.com/73kume.jpg

Idle for 5 minutes-
*i51.tinypic.com/2wqso7r.jpg

In the settings on RealTEMP what is TJMax set to..?

Top Bottom