24x7 always on laptop

asingh

Aspiring Novelist
^
Then it is running way way to hot. Get a service technician to open the device and clean it out.

OP
rahul_c

rahul_c

Journeyman
I have removed battery cause I cant find any other way to make it stop charging.
I have reduced the temperatures to 55~60 C by under clocking my CPU,I dont need to go to service centre now. I will have to stop encoding videos on my laptop that was causing extreme heat.
*i53.tinypic.com/n6an2h.jpg
The average temperature in high performance mode never exceeds 70 C (light use).

OP
rahul_c

rahul_c

Journeyman
I was sick of running laptop in low performance mode, so I finally opened it today to check for dust. And thankfully it was easy, just two screws to open the section where processor, heat-sink and fan were present. There was not much dust near intake fan but the heat-sink was totally blocked with a pile of it! I removed it and everything it fine, now temperature has reduced to ~50 C in battery mode and ~70 C in high performance mode. I tried stressing the CPU and it reached ~80 C which is fine, is it?

Sid_hooda

I'm taller than you
When downloading, keep the lid open. Vostro 1410/1510 have bad cooling (especially around the HDD which frequently reaches 45+ C) which might affect its long term reliability.

Also, run HWMonitor and post the wear level of the battery, that backup time is way less. My 1410 used to give me ~ 3.5 hours backup when browsing the web
(When did you buy the laptop BTW ?)

ithehappy

Human Spambot
OFF TOPIC:
After reading the above I have a question, I was planning to buy a Notebook only for downloading, so it will be on for about 16 odd hours, so is there any problem if it's on for that long? I won't do anything besides Downloading and some Surfing, so is it ok???

OP
rahul_c

rahul_c

Journeyman
thetechfreak said:
Yeah 80c is just about fine for laptop.
Good job in opening and cleaning it.
Thanks! :smile: I admit it was scary though, I have heard HP/Compaq laptop just fall apart when opened thankfully it didn't happened in Vostro.

Sid_hooda said:
When downloading, keep the lid open. Vostro 1410/1510 have bad cooling (especially around the HDD which frequently reaches 45+ C) which might affect its long term reliability.

Also, run HWMonitor and post the wear level of the battery, that backup time is way less. My 1410 used to give me ~ 3.5 hours backup when browsing the web
(When did you buy the laptop BTW ?)
I don't keep the lid open it makes the laptop dusty especially keyboard, I switch to balanced mode when downloading which make temperature drop to ~55 C. Switching to balanced mode reduces my CPU speed to ~800 MHz.

Yes my battery life has degraded drastically, battery wont last more than 1 and 1/2 hr. I ran laptop without it for few days, but it has a downside when light goes laptop shuts even when inverter is present(there is 1-2 sec gap before the backup kicks in). So I started using it again as a UPS .My HDD temperature is 48 C(Max), and my laptop is 2 yrs old.

ithehappy said:
After reading the above I have a question, I was planning to buy a Notebook only for downloading, so it will be on for about 16 odd hours, so is there any problem if it's on for that long? I won't do anything besides Downloading and some Surfing, so is it ok???
IMO desktops are better for downloading purposes, unless you really require laptop I would suggest you to go for a desktop.

eagle06

Los7 Cau53
follow this undervolting guide, it will increase your battery life and decrease your cpu temperatures ;) by atleast 5 C.

*forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/235824-undervolting-guide.html

nginx

In the zone
You guys are way too conservative and overprotective about your laptop. Seriously, I wouldn't worry about running a laptop 24x7. My laptop is 3 years old now and I never shut down my lappy, at best I close the lid and let it go to sleep mode if I have nothing to do but that is also rare.

There have been times, when I have left my laptop running 24x7 to encode movies for a whole week or two at a stretch. Basically, my laptop is always running 24x7 with an occasional restart once a month.

Just get a decent cooling pad for your laptop like I did and it will stay cool even under heavy stress for prolonged periods. Don't forget, laptop's parts are built to withstand much much higher temperatures than your desktop components. As long as your CPU and GPU temps remain under 85-90C, your laptop is safe from overheating.

If you ask me, its better to keep your laptop running 24x7 than your desktop. Desktops consume too much power for 24x7 use.

nginx

In the zone
I have something like this, not the exact model but pretty close:
eBay India: Logitech Cooling Pad N100 for Notebook and Laptop N 100 (item 140497222718 end time 04-May-2011 20:24:17 IST)

OP
rahul_c

rahul_c

Journeyman
follow this undervolting guide, it will increase your battery life and decrease your cpu temperatures ;) by atleast 5 C.

The "Undervolting" Guide
I don't require to drop the temperature further and I don't care about battery life.

ithehappy said:
But a Desktop consumes much more power than a Laptop, right?
Yes but now a days net-tops are available which consumes very less power and are really affordable.

nginx said:
You guys are way too conservative and overprotective about your laptop. Seriously, I wouldn't worry about running a laptop 24x7. My laptop is 3 years old now and I never shut down my lappy, at best I close the lid and let it go to sleep mode if I have nothing to do but that is also rare.
Overprotective? :-x My laptop's exhaust was completely blocked and the hot air was circulating inside that's why my temperature was going up to 98 C! If I would haven't noticed it, it could have burned. Also earlier I was getting blue screens which are now automatically solved. Keeping computer in sleep mode doesn't mean it is on, it turns off most of the components(screen,HDD,etc).

nginx

In the zone
Overprotective? :-x My laptop's exhaust was completely blocked and the hot air was circulating inside that's why my temperature was going up to 98 C! If I would haven't noticed it, it could have burned. Also earlier I was getting blue screens which are now automatically solved. Keeping computer in sleep mode doesn't mean it is on, it turns off most of the components(screen,HDD,etc).

Well running my laptop 24x7 doesn't mean I don't take good care of it. Of course you have to perform some amount maintenance once in a while or you can only blame yourself if your laptop vents get blocked and it blows up :grin:

I use my vacuum cleaner's suction once a month to clear out the dust from the air vents. As I said before, I also use a good laptop cooling pad to keep things cool. Btw, I don't game much on my laptop, so temperature is always at safe levels.

OP
rahul_c

rahul_c

Journeyman
Well running my laptop 24x7 doesn't mean I don't take good care of it. Of course you have to perform some amount maintenance once in a while or you can only blame yourself if your laptop vents get blocked and it blows up :grin:

I use my vacuum cleaner's suction once a month to clear out the dust from the air vents. As I said before, I also use a good laptop cooling pad to keep things cool. Btw, I don't game much on my laptop, so temperature is always at safe levels.

Good to know you keep your laptop in check, how much difference does a cooling pad make? Which laptop do you have, and how is your battery performing?

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Well, running a laptop 24x7 if doesnt damage anything, deeply damages the battery of the laptop. Thats for sure.

Top Bottom