24x7 always on laptop

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
rahul_c said:
Yes it does but nothing can't be done
to avoid it, so get ready to buy new
battery in every 2 yrs or so.
But running laptop via power through pc ups(without battery) will help wont it?

OP
rahul_c

rahul_c

Journeyman
:grin: I found a awesome app to control fan speed of dell laptops it's I8K(google it), now I am able to reduce my CPU temperature ~47 C in battery mode and ~55 C in high performance mode.

nginx

In the zone
Good to know you keep your laptop in check, how much difference does a cooling pad make? Which laptop do you have, and how is your battery performing?

Well a good cooling pad (not the crappy Rs.400 ones) makes quite a difference if you ask me. Dropped my average CPU temp by 5-10C and more importantly the laptop feels noticeably cooler. I got a cooling pad in the first place because my laptop used to get alarmingly hot during extended video encoding sessions but not anymore :D

I have an HP Pavilion dv6000 series laptop. Well the battery has gone to the dogs, barely gives 20 mins of backup now. But after 3 years that's expected. However, I always keep my laptop plugged in to the AC mains whether at home or at college, so it makes no difference to me. Besides, I have a massive inverter at home, so power failure isn't an issue.

If laptop battery is uber important to you, you must run the laptop without the battery while at home and then plug in it when you go outside.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Actually, for preservation of battery, the lappy should be run on battery after fully charged.
Charging should preferably done after lappy is switched off

OP
rahul_c

rahul_c

Journeyman
Well a good cooling pad (not the crappy Rs.400 ones) makes quite a difference if you ask me. Dropped my average CPU temp by 5-10C and more importantly the laptop feels noticeably cooler. I got a cooling pad in the first place because my laptop used to get alarmingly hot during extended video encoding sessions but not anymore :D

I have an HP Pavilion dv6000 series laptop. Well the battery has gone to the dogs, barely gives 20 mins of backup now. But after 3 years that's expected. However, I always keep my laptop plugged in to the AC mains whether at home or at college, so it makes no difference to me. Besides, I have a massive inverter at home, so power failure isn't an issue.

If laptop battery is uber important to you, you must run the laptop without the battery while at home and then plug in it when you go outside.
Same here battery life doesn't matter, 5-10 C temperature drop do sounds good but I think 80 C during encoding videos (100% CPU usage) is fine. I tried running laptop without battery, but as already posted -
rahul_c said:
It has a downside when light goes laptop shuts even when inverter is present(there is 1-2 sec gap before the backup kicks in). So I started using it again as a UPS.

Now using I8k software I manually set fan speed to high during video encoding sessions (yes me too!) and it further reduced temperature to ~75 C.

:doublethumb: Now all izz well with my laptop tempuratures! :grin:

theteachfreak said:
Actually, for preservation of battery, the lappy should be run on battery after fully charged.Charging should preferably done after lappy is switched off
Running on battery part is correct but I don't think charging while using affects battery life cause we always do the same with our mobile phones, don't we?

Last edited:

nginx

In the zone
Actually, for preservation of battery, the lappy should be run on battery after fully charged.
Charging should preferably done after lappy is switched off

Charging after shutting off laptop makes absolutely no difference to the battery life. What kills the battery life span is mostly over-charging when the laptop is always connected to the AC mains.

To keep the battery in good shape, its necessary to discharge the battery down to around 20% (not full discharge) once a month and then recharge it. This is only necessary if you never let your battery discharge and always keep it plugged in.

But the best away to preserve the battery is to not use it at all and keep it in a cool area with around 40% charge.

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
rahul_c said:
Running on battery part is correct but
I don't think charging while using
affects battery life cause we always do
the same with our mobile phones,
don't we?
Then lets say, we run it in battery after charging is done.
Rather than keeping it plugged in.

OP
rahul_c

rahul_c

Journeyman
Then lets say, we run it in battery after charging is done. Rather than keeping it plugged in.
Yes, keeping laptop always plugged in (with battery attached) causes problems.

To keep the battery in good shape, its necessary to discharge the battery down to around 20% (not full discharge) once a month and then recharge it. This is only necessary if you never let your battery discharge and always keep it plugged in.

But the best away to preserve the battery is to not use it at all and keep it in a cool area with around 40% charge.

I do discharge my battery ~ 10% several times a month.

OP
rahul_c

rahul_c

Journeyman
I kept my laptop on a book (this is what I'm using them for now a days :grin:) this increases the space below intake vents. Result - temperature further reduced ~ 5 C! :cool:

Last edited:

thetechfreak

Legend Never Ends
Yeah, it always helps if you keep the laptop tilted. There are a few stands available to do this but why buy them if a book can do it :D

Top Bottom