2001 A Space Odessey (1968 movie by Kubrick) any explanation ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
Hi

After watching A clockwork orange ..I have become a huge fan of Stanley Kubrick :p
Just watched "2001 A space odessey" well ending is very weird and I didnt understand clearly the whole film :confused::confused::confused:....IF U HAVENT SEEN THIS FILM ..Plz dload and see and join the debate ............

If anybody has seen the film and read the novel..plz explain

Also this site has some pretty good explanation *www.kubrick2001.com/ about the movie ...but I still have some qs :

1. How did that Monolith got placed on moon ? Was there two copies buried one on moon and one on earth by aliens ?

2. When Dr Flloyd touches the monolith on moon while filming their stunt,does all the crew dies ?

3. What is the epidemic spread on Clavius moon base ? Is it due to monolith ??

4. What happens to the astronomer who goes after Astro no 1 repairing AE35 unit? does HAL throw him out ?

5. What does child signify in the end ?

PLZZZZZZZZZZZZ ANSWEEEEER !!!

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
Buddy its not only you but 90% of the people were delude in understanding not only the end but the entire movie.... The movie (first of its kind) has tried to explan a lot with virtually no voice over. And the predictability has been left entirly to the audiance.

When I saw the movie I almost did a phd on it trying to get answers....the last part was the most difficult for me to understand....

I give a link where you can have a very good idea about what kubrick had tried to explain way back in 1968. Its all in flash player so you better have the flash player installed...

2001:A Space Odyssey Explained

another site that is a good resource for the movie is...

*www.palantir.net/2001/index.html

Hope you get all your answers.....

eggman

I have Yolks not Brains!
Plz someone tell me if I will like the this film???....
I consider A CLOCKWORK ORANGE one of my fav, but then again did not like DR. STRANGELOVE!!!Is the pace too slow????

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
^^ Which Film???......2001 u talking about??? If yes then I am not sure coz the pace of this movie is super duper slow. Imagin the very first dialogue of 2001 comes after 20 minutes in to the movie, infact figure this.......In total the movie has about only 40 minutes worth of dialogues out of the film's 139 minute running time........can you beat that....:D

OP
esumitkumar

esumitkumar

Call me Sumit
^^ya eggman ..CW is also my fav (thanks to u for recommending) ..2001 is too slow..but still that concept in 1968 ..its mind blowing..T159 and eggy ..u shud watch the movie....

@sam9s..i had already seen this *www.kubrick2001.com/ site..The Flash site doesnt still answer my questions...so plz answer..........

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Yup i will but currently my HDD is up for RMA, so not downloading much. Already download queue is full. I guess i will game for a while.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
HI

this is from reading the books (2001, 2010 and the third one) and watching the first movie. Another one was made, but I cannot find it. Anyway,

1. How did that Monolith got placed on moon ? Was there two copies buried one on moon and one on earth by aliens ?
The aliens go through all the planets on all the solar systems of all the stars in the universe, and select planets where life has a potential to develop. They send the monoliths to the planet to teach the beings the use of tools to kickstart evolution (that's the chimps beating things and using bones). Then they hide the monolith on the moon so that once they discover space travel, the species is ready to make contact. The monolith on the moon of jupiter is a sort of celestial swiss knife, able to do a lot of things together, and basically transmits a signal to them that mankind has arrived. There is no copy buried on the earth, it disappears, only one on the moon and one on titan I think, one of the moons of Jupiter anyway.

2. When Dr Flloyd touches the monolith on moon while filming their stunt, does all the crew dies ?
No. It releases a very strong signal that disrupts the radio in their helmets. They just go crazy for a while.

3. What is the epidemic spread on Clavius moon base ? Is it due to monolith ??
There is no epidemic. That's a smokescreen so that people on earth are not made aware of the alien artefact. They make it look like all the hullabaloo is because of an epidemic. There is no epidemic.

4. What happens to the astronomer who goes after Astro no 1 repairing AE35 unit? does HAL throw him out ?
HAL does not throw him out, he kills him. HAL does this because he has conflicting instructions given to him, and the computer goes schizo. I think his name was Poole. He does not die, he floats around in space, gets cryogenically frozen, and comes back to life in the third book.

5. What does child signify in the end ?
The "child" is a child of the stars. Bowman becomes a tool/watchdog of the aliens. He is sent back to earth so that the aliens can go through the human species and see how they are coming along. He becomes a spirit/a being of light like the aliens themselves.

Anorion

Sith Lord
Staff member
Admin
^ nyah the movie was as good as the book, if not better. I think this is a rare thing as far as movies based on books go. The movie and the book were released together... The second movie I have not seen, so cannot comment on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom