1tetrabyte HDD Anyone using??

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
I need to add a 1TB hdd,
thinking of buying Seagate 1tb costing 7500/- (nehru place price) Any different brand you can suggest.

Few questions I have.
Will it put extra (high) load on PSU? I have 550watt Zebronics (config is in the signature)

Are High capacity disk reliable (to much data if lost)?

Any downside of using 1TB disk if any?

The Conqueror

Elevating Humanity
Yes I have 1 TB HDD of Seagate. I bought it for 10k.
1. It wont put extra(high) load on your PSU
2. Yes they are reliable
3. No downsides as far as i am concerned, actually the more space you have the better as no matter how much space you have you'll manage to fill it

2x500 costs 8200 :|
and that puts extra load on psu.

which model is that disc you are buying ? get something good. see if you can find the seagate SAS/SATA combo 32mb buffer model. it pwns benchmarks.

if you need a cheap high capacity disc that performs to mainstream levels, get WD 640GB for 3.7K.

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
2x500 costs 8200 :|
and that puts extra load on psu.
I thought so for 2 disk but felt that PSU would have to power 2 disk hence more load, but also wanted to confirm if single 1TB hdd wont do the same.
which model is that disc you are buying ? get something good. see if you can find the seagate SAS/SATA combo 32mb buffer model. it pwns benchmarks.
*www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=HD-ST1TBAS
Is this the model you are referring? I am not sure if the dealer gave me the price for this or any other model.
I inquired for Seagate SATA II 7200rpm 1TB for 7500/- which has 16mb buffer
*tinyurl.com/6otxsn
What is the difference between the 2 apart from the 16 vs 32 buffer?

I think WD does not have 1TB hdd so I don't have much choice in 1TB capacity.

Last edited:
OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
*tinyurl.com/6fjhem
I found that itdepot is selling the 32mb 1tb disk but its only 3yrs warranty whereas all seagate hdd come with 5yrs warranty.

Can anyone confirm if the 32mb version is available in delhi & about the warranty, I want to buy in a day or two. If anyone of you have bought it then do mention the price too.

RCuber

The Mighty Unkel!!!
Staff member
I user 3 HDD's on a 400 Watt PSU, with a 7300GT gfx card & two Optical Drives. there is no power problem, and BTW I have Perscott 520 which is more that a cooking stove :lol:
I dont think a additional hdd will put load on the psu.

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
2 hdd will consume more power than one hdd..becos instead of spinning one..the power supply has to spin 2 of them so more power :)
if you dont raid 0 then not feasible to get two of them despite the cost advantage as stated by some..

techtronic

I Always Prefer 1080p
Could you please specify the reason for opting to buy 1 TB HDD ?
If the reason is to backup your files, I suggest you go for 1 TB USB Drive rather than HDD.

OP
R

ranjan2001

Cyborg Agent
Could you please specify the reason for opting to buy 1 TB HDD ?
I need 30-40gb data to be added on daily basis for 2 months so I need over 2TB space just for storage & extra disk for processing the data. I cant back up to dvds that amount of data so reliability of hdd is indeed a prime factor.

1TB usb drive are externally powered & in the field I will be in situation where I am traveling & backing up to a smaller portable usb hdd

Last edited:

realdan

Ambassador of Buzz
bluray?

reliability of hdd is a little unpredictable.

in ur siggy, you have 160+250+320 = 730 and adding one more 1000 approx.
it is better you buy 1TB one which is more feasible in your case.
since ur storage requirement is so high..might as well exchange one of the lower capacity drives for another 1 TB ones

Cool Joe

The Black Waltz
^^ Blu Ray media itself is costly as of now, and so are drives capable of writing to them. :-|
And HDDs from big brands are reliable.

sam9s

The High 5 Flyer
BTW just thought to add in...... I bought a 1 TB Maxtor drive just for 100USD here in US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom