1st time Linux installation (USB Drive) without messing default windows

Status
Not open for further replies.

harsha

Broken In
Hello,

• I have downloaded Ubuntu Linux Installation CD.
  • I have Windows Vista installed in my laptop.
  • I have a 80 GB portable USB HDD
  • My notebook supports booting from USB device.

Now I want to install UBUNTU in my portable HDD, without touching the boot loader of Windows Vista or rather simply without touching the Notebook HDD.

is it possible ??

Can I install UBUNTU in USB portable drive without touching the Notebook drive which have windows ?? so that if I remove the USB HDD or boot from laptop HDD it would simply show windows vista default boot loader ??

Please help.

Thank you..

abhinandh

Proud to be Linux
just boot from the ubuntu cd and start installing and them when you are asked to select a HDD select manual and select the external hdd(be very careful as the default option wipes out the laptop hdd).

you can refer this page for general ubuntu instructions..
*www.howtoforge.com/the_perfect_desktop_ubuntu_gutsy_gibbon

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
Say no to Ubuntu, it will install bootloader to the MBR of the first HDD as detected in BIOS. Unless u can change the HDD priority.

Instead get Debian and when it asks for installing GRUB on MBR, just say no, it will install GRUB on the root partition. Also set the bootable flag on the root partition.

praka123

left this forum longback
^Debian will not be that user-friendly with a new Linux user.try Ubuntu!
when ur comfortable with Linux,then move to Debian .

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
K so do like this:
1. Set the boot up priority for USB HDD the highest

2. Now pop in live cd of Ubuntu

3. It will run the OS from CD itself and u will see a install icon on desktop

4. Click on it to install

5. Partition manually if u want to keep some space for other things too else a guided will do.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
yep, in mine there are separate priorities for HDD , CD ROM, USB and Firewire.

So yeah CD ROM is always highest, then among HDDs set the USB HDD priority highest.

OP
H

harsha

Broken In
hello all. really thank you for the reply.

I would like to clear my thought once again, I Dont want to touch or do any thing to the present partition table and MBR / Bootloader of default Laptop HDD which contains the Windows OS....

I do not have Windows Vista installation DVD and more over its a company notebook comes with domain control installation, therefor I wont be able to restore any thing if I get this Linux installation wrong...

My bios allows me to chage Boot order and it allows to boot from USB drive :D...

praka said:
^Debian will not be that user-friendly with a new Linux user.try Ubuntu!
when ur comfortable with Linux,then move to Debian .

yes, I am completelly new to Linux....

T159 said:
Say no to Ubuntu, it will install bootloader to the MBR of the first HDD as detected in BIOS. Unless u can change the HDD priority.

Thats my main problem, as I said, I cant afford to go wrong and mess up the present windows boot loader :(

T159 said:
5. Partition manually if u want to keep some space for other things too else a guided will do.

I wish to have 2 linux installation on that HDD, for my personal need I am suggested UBUNTU and i personally would like to try out the Fedora...

So, is UBUNTU a BAD thing ?? or shall I stick to it ??

Once again thanks for ur time and kind replies :)

chesss

mera kutch nahi ho sakta
^dude u r gonna hav a tough time in linux if u don't hav a habit of googling! :D
Offtopic: Try opera (coz it makes googling real fast and quick!

IIRC - If I remember correctly

Ontopic: Ubuntu has an alternate installation disk. It shld have an option to avoid grub

btw if u r trying linux then u WILL screwup sometime ;) . I cld be wrong but I never do anything right before screwing up. Make sure to backup anything important :)

OP
H

harsha

Broken In
chess said:
btw if u r trying linux then u WILL screwup sometime . I cld be wrong but I never do anything right before screwing up. Make sure to backup anything important

Hello, I can afford to do any thing on that Portrable 80 GB. its just, I cant take any chance with the present setup of the notebook HDD... Anyway I am trying the Installation Now :cry:

hullap

Cyborg Agent
u can disable installing grub if u want during the installation,
after installation when u wanna boot it select ur ex HDD as primary and pop in the live disc and select boot from 1st hardisk

Last edited:
OP
H

harsha

Broken In
for some reason i didnt go with ubuntu, I have successfully installed FEDORA 8 by following your instruction given here....

Now I have bunch of questions,

FONTS

How can I get my windows fonts here as well ??

Accessing windows drive

System detected Windows Vista NTFS partition, should i access it as while i double click it, it asks for root password to modify access control rights :cry:

No sound

I have no sound :( (Lenovo 3000 notebook)

External Display or Keyboard / mouse not working

I use a SAMSUNG 19" TFT with USB keyboard and mouse, none of them are working :(

How do I install suff

I hear Via terminal is the best way to install, therefor any guide or such available ??

thank you :D

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
NTFS drives
mount -t ntfs /dev/hdax /media/par1

FAT drives
mount -t vfat /dev/hdax /media/par2

Create folders in /media/ directory where u want to mount your drives.

or better give me the output of
fdisk -l
run the above command as root user su -
I will post the exact commands to mount the drives for u :)

PS: I dont use Fedora so may be Fedora users on this forum will guide you for other doubts

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom