A basic rig for my friend
Only CPU, Mobo, RAM, HDD, Optical Drive are required

1. What is the purpose of the computer? (Note: If you are planning to say multimedia, you will have to be more specific as all types of systems are capable of doing that)
A: Casual gaming, watching videos, listening to songs & MS Office

2. Are you open to alternate ideas/products giving similar better performance but offering more VFM/ sellers? If not- why?
A: ya

3. What is your MAX budget?
A: 12k

4. Planning to overclock?
A: No

5. Which OS are you planning to use?
A: Win 7 Ultimate

6. How much hard drive space is needed?
A: 500 GB

7. What resolution will the screen run at & whats the size of the screen you want? If you already want have one and want to use it, mention its resolution and size.
A: 19" monitor available

8. How would you rate your hardware knowledge from the count of 1-10? (1 being the lowest, 5 being you are somewhat in sync with the current performers and 10 being the highest)
A: 7

9. Have you ever built a desktop before or will this be done by an assembler?
A: Myself

10. When are you planning to buy the system?
A: After a month

11. Are you one of the types looking out for "future proof" configurations?
A: Ya

12. Are there going to be any components that you don't want to include in this new rig? If yes, do mention.
A: Monitor, cabinet, PSU, keyboard, mouse

13. Which city do you live in and are you open to buying from shops from other city/states?
A: Live in Port Blair, will buy frm Chennai

14. Mention any other points if deemed necessary
A: I heard that AMD X2 have 2 hidden cores & some mobos can unlock the other 2 cores. Is it true ?

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
AMD Phenom ii x4 955 BE @ 5.5k (try and find 925 or 945 for cheaper)
MSI 880GM E35 @ 3.5k
Corsair/G.Skill 2GB DDR3 1333MHz @ 1k
WD Caviar blue 500GB @ 1.7k
LG/Lite-on DVD writer @ 1k
Total - 12.7k

btw core unlocking is possible only for athlon ii x3 and phenom ii x2 and its not guaranteed so i've suggested a Phenom ii x4

OP
omega44-xt

omega44-xt

Gear up ...
What about a dual layr DVD writer ? Hw much will it cost ? Is it advisable to buy one now or to wait for a year or two so that prices of blu ray drives are down ?

What about a dual layr DVD writer* ? Hw much will it cost ? Is it advisable to buy one now or to wait for a year or two so that prices of blu ray drives are down ?

*Note : Its for my personal use, not for my frnd

Which one will be fastr : My current rig w/o HD5670 & 2GB RAM or the rig suggested by Cybertronic ?

saswat23

Human Spambot
Almost all DVD-RWs now a days can burn dual layer DVDs. What you mean to buy is a BlueRay Drive. But do you have any BlueRay discs yet. If not then going for blue ray will be a waste...

OP
omega44-xt

omega44-xt

Gear up ...
AMD Phenom ii x4 955 BE @ 5.5k (try and find 925 or 945 for cheaper)
MSI 880GM E35 @ 3.5k
Corsair/G.Skill 2GB DDR3 1333MHz @ 1k
WD Caviar blue 500GB @ 1.7k
LG/Lite-on DVD writer @ 1k
Total - 12.7k

btw core unlocking is possible only for athlon ii x3 and phenom ii x2 and its not guaranteed so i've suggested a Phenom ii x4

Can the motherboard's onboard graphics be able to run call of duty 4, blur, burnout paradise ?

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
How about a config with AMD's Llano APU? they are much better for gaming on a rig without GPU. The A3650A-Series APU is available for 5.8k on smcinternational, but motherboards are a bit expensive. I guess OP will have to increase the budget by around 2k to accommodate it.

Tech_Wiz

Wise Old Owl
If MSI Mobo then Confirm if they Support 125W TDP Processor. Some of MSI E Series boards will simply burn their mospets if you throw in a 125 W Proccy like 955 BE. Google for more details.

I also bought 955 BE and went with Gigabyte GA-880GM - USB 3 Rev 3.1 @ 4.9k which Supports BD.

Cool Buddy

Wise Old Owl
Actually the budget is 15k but i kept it 12k bcoz in my islands everything is a bit costlier.

Hmm.. Why don't you compare the prices with some online stores? If the online deals are cheaper, then call them, ask if they'll deliver to Port Blair and if they say yes, order it online. My suggestions would be SMC international and TheITWares - One Stop for all Gizmos!

Someone, anything on motherboards supporting Llano APUs, I really don't have much idea about those currently

OP
omega44-xt

omega44-xt

Gear up ...
How about this rig ?

CPU l AMD X4 635 l 4.0k
Mobo l Gigabyte GA880GM USB3 l 4.4k
RAM l 2GB DDR3 1333MHz l 1.2k
HDD l 500 GB l 1.7k
ODD l DVD writer l 1.0k​

Total 12.3k

OP
omega44-xt

omega44-xt

Gear up ...
VFM means ?

My PC cannot be shut down safetly after working on it for 3-4 hrs. What is the problem ? It happens everyday. The computer responds but my PC could not be shut down or log off or switch user. I can't even run task manager and some control panel options.

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
VFM means ?

My PC cannot be shut down safetly after working on it for 3-4 hrs. What is the problem ? It happens everyday. The computer responds but my PC could not be shut down or log off or switch user. I can't even run task manager and some control panel options.
Virtual FM.... :))

But it means Value For Money.

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
If you want you can wait for AMD Llano A55 chipset based motherboards to launch. They should cost 4-5k and perfect for you :D

saswat23

Human Spambot

I think the PSU is giving the problem. But where did you find a 160W PSU?
Check if your task manager is disabled. If its so then your are most probably suffering from a VIRUS ATTACK. So, Download Quick Heal 2011 Antivirus trial for 30days, install it and select the native scan. This will remove almost all viruses from your PC w/o Re-Installing your O/S.

You have a good GPU, so i will recomend you to change your PSU anyway.

Nipun

Whompy Whomperson
I think the PSU is giving the problem. But where did you find a 160W PSU?
Check if your task manager is disabled. If its so then your are most probably suffering from a VIRUS ATTACK. So, Download Quick Heal 2011 Antivirus trial for 30days, install it and select the native scan. This will remove almost all viruses from your PC w/o Re-Installing your O/S.

You have a good GPU, so i will recomend you to change your PSU anyway.

:???: *lh5.ggpht.com/ivanandrei09/SIVJGU1i7kI/AAAAAAAAGIg/DmGpQw3GLQc/negarivo_no_emoticon_no_18_www.trucoslive.com.gif

I dont like quickheal at all(although I am using it). Earlier I used McAfee, and it was far more better than Quickheal. I wasted my money(and one year :p) by going with quickheal...... Use something better(norton, McAfee, Kaspersky?) :) :)

D

Deleted member 118788

No Antivirus Is AS Better AS Quickheal & Bitdefender.

Top Bottom