** ~10k mobile advice thread **

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
i asked because in the past xiaomi had its own recording option built in their own dialer.
this is a silly move considering call recording usage and its legal position in many countries including ours.
*geek.digit.in/community/threads/call-recording-app-on-custom-rom.207630/

Redmi note 10t 5g (2nd suggestion).
Good device with deals.
But person is a farmer. Person most likely buying from local market or will ask someone to order. But don't know when he will order. Still suggesting these phones.
Main feature required is big battery.
Realme 8 5g over budget...
Poco M3 pro 5g good device but 5000 mAh battery. (3rd suggestion)

Moto g31 have mediatek SoC, suggest mediatek dimensity SoC devices.
AMOLED is bright in sunlight right?
But study says LCD generally have better visibility under the sun.
If it is from the local market, don't have high hopes. Consider yourself lucky if you get Redmi 10 at price similar to online. Phone costs are always higher locally than online, this will be the case forever.

I have high expectations from whoever is buying the phone to end up with Oppo or Vivo phone. Those 2 have good dealer margins, so shopkeepers push them out to naive customers.

Online delivery should work in even villages of mainland India.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
AMOLED is bright in sunlight right?
But study says LCD generally have better visibility under the sun.
AMOLED is subset of LCD, kind of like how every car engine is a subset of internal combustion engine. More contrast & brightness any screen has, better will be its visibility under the sun & AMOLED screen typically has more of them compared to other LED/LCD screens.

AMOLED is subset of LCD, kind of like how every car engine is a subset of internal combustion engine. More contrast & brightness any screen has, better will be its visibility under the sun & AMOLED screen typically has more of them compared to other LED/LCD screens.
I don't think AMOLED can be considered a subset of LCD. LCD subsets would be those IPS, VA & TN panels. AMOLED is an entirely different panel technology.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't think AMOLED can be considered a subset of LCD. LCD subsets would be those IPS, VA & TN panels. AMOLED is an entirely different panel technology.
AMOLED is a type of OLED which is a type of LED(Light Emitting Diode) so you are correct. I should have said LED though LCD panels also use LED backlight nowadays so it is all quite mixed up. My main intention was to consider AMOLED as an advanced version of LED which in turn means advanced version of any LCD display as they all also use LED backlight nowadays in majority cases.

TigerKing

Wise Old Owl
If it is from the local market, don't have high hopes. Consider yourself lucky if you get Redmi 10 at price similar to online. Phone costs are always higher locally than online, this will be the case forever.

I have high expectations from whoever is buying the phone to end up with Oppo or Vivo phone. Those 2 have good dealer margins, so shopkeepers push them out to naive customers.

Online delivery should work in even villages of mainland India.

Redmi 10 is decided but not purchased yet.
I think they might purchase offline giving ₹500 - ₹3000 extra (depending on price of device - as per shopkeepers commission)
[And for villagers or even for a city this commission thing is normal]

I have seen many villagers have oppo, vivo mobiles.
Even educated villagers have these phones.
Many villages where delivery person can reach, but still many people prefer going nearest Mobile shop.
I'm not saying oppo and vivo manufacturs bad mobiles.
Only saying that they're costly, but still people buy it.

Many reasons for that, you get the demo + hands-on experience + sellers prompting etc etc.

Last edited:
Redmi 10 is decided but not purchased yet.
I think they might purchase offline giving ₹500 - ₹3000 extra (depending on price of device - as per shopkeepers commission)
[And for villagers or even for a city this commission thing is normal]

I have seen many villagers have oppo, vivo mobiles.
Even educated villagers have these phones.
Many villages where delivery person can reach, but still many people prefer going nearest Mobile shop.
Only saying that they're costly, but still people buy it.

Many reasons for that, you get the demo + hands-on experience + sellers prompting etc etc.

Education has nothing to do with intelligence & knowledge. Best example - flat earth theorists.

If someone is buying oppo or vivo phones, it is that person's loss. Even I won't say their phones are bad, they have come a long way, but it is any day more expensive, many times Samsung has cheaper options. A friend of mine bought some Oppo phone for 29k instead of A52s at 30k, I don't even remember model names of oppo or vivo.

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
a lot of people don't think of changing phone after some time and change it only when there is some problem or some family member buys it for them. in these cases specially the former one, the requirement is immediate and therefore a local shop is the only alternative resulting in sale of oppo / vivo etc. i have seen a lot of people in my city using different models of oppo / vivo and in almost all the cases these are with waterdrop notch. also as not everyone is interested in becoming tech-savvy (bill gates in someone's words) though there are a lot of people extremely proficient in their area of work, they take whetever is there in offline shop or whatever some friend / acquaintance suggests. i feel if that person is satisfied with the purchase then it is all right and it is completely wrong on my part to criticise that person for their choice.

a lot of people don't think of changing phone after some time and change it only when there is some problem or some family member buys it for them. in these cases specially the former one, the requirement is immediate and therefore a local shop is the only alternative resulting in sale of oppo / vivo etc. i have seen a lot of people in my city using different models of oppo / vivo and in almost all the cases these are with waterdrop notch. also as not everyone is interested in becoming tech-savvy (bill gates in someone's words) though there are a lot of people extremely proficient in their area of work, they take whetever is there in offline shop or whatever some friend / acquaintance suggests. i feel if that person is satisfied with the purchase then it is all right and it is completely wrong on my part to criticise that person for their choice.
As they say, knowledge is power. For a different analogy, say for example, shop A sells you 1kg silver for 1000, you bought it & are satisfied with it, but there's another shop who sells 1kg gold for 1000 which you didn't know about.

My point is just that there are always better phones than Oppo or vivo. If someone bought oppo/vivo for aesthetics, then that's a subjective parameter, to each their own. But something like hardware specs is an objective parameter. Hence I don't recommend oppo/vivo. If you don't want Chinese, sometimes even the Samsung M/F series have better options than oppo/vivo. Xiaomi, Realme & Samsung M/F provide bang for buck phones because of less middlemen involved between manufacturer & buyer, as simple as that.

I don't criticize my friend for his oppo phone purchase, like tease him all the time or something, but if someone asks me for a phone recommendation, I will still suggest them to not consider any oppo/vivo phone.

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
As they say, knowledge is power. For a different analogy, say for example, shop A sells you 1kg silver for 1000, you bought it & are satisfied with it, but there's another shop who sells 1kg gold for 1000 which you didn't know about.

My point is just that there are always better phones than Oppo or vivo. If someone bought oppo/vivo for aesthetics, then that's a subjective parameter, to each their own. But something like hardware specs is an objective parameter. Hence I don't recommend oppo/vivo. If you don't want Chinese, sometimes even the Samsung M/F series have better options than oppo/vivo. Xiaomi, Realme & Samsung M/F provide bang for buck phones because of less middlemen involved between manufacturer & buyer, as simple as that.

I don't criticize my friend for his oppo phone purchase, like tease him all the time or something, but if someone asks me for a phone recommendation, I will still suggest them to not consider any oppo/vivo phone.
well i will only suggest someone if that person specially asks for suggestion. so sorry but that gold silver analogy is completely irrelevant in this context because that is something everyone knows but not everyone has proper info on tech products. also as per my experience i find nowadays most of the people (below 30 specially between 15-25) are self-proclaimed technophile / technocrat giving knowledge to everyone. if you don't agree to their views then they are going to argue tooth and nail. i encounter some everyday on some forum / social media. also, there are some who has some knowledge about it and they are andhon mein kaana raja who are asked to speed up someone's phone or format it.
knowledge is power but as per my personal experience, a lot of people have a set routine and are busy in their line of work so they are less / not interested in getting any knowledge but are only interested in a direct suggestion and if they don't like it later then you are the culprit. i suggested 2 people galaxy fold 3, both bought it. one person is very happy and thanked me multiple times, the other is not mentally ready to change his routine so alys says maine uske paise duba diye. because of this attitude, i have started saying i am out of touch you better go and check these yt channels or read amazon / flipkart reviews and if you are not interested then go to one of the big shops and ask them.
in daily life i find someone many times myself too, who buys vegetables at slightly higher price as the person is unable to bargain or doesn't know it is cheaper at some other place but is satisfied. this is why i said if the person is happy with the purchase, then it is fine.

SaiyanGoku

kamehameha!!
therefore a local shop is the only alternative
Xiaomi has opened stores locally and many multi-brand retail chains also sell Xiaomi phones.
But, they do. Non-techies buy random crap from them and then complain why that PoS is lagging like hell after 1-2 OTA updates which come with more malware (BBK's OSes are malware themselves).

Last edited:

vidhubhushan

Alakh Niranjan
Xiaomi has opened stores locally and many multi-brand retail chains also sell Xiaomi phones.
no idea of current situation but over an year back, the xiaomi store did not had the latest models and the owner said we only get an old model. i asked about their note model and it was priced at some 500 more than online. 2 years back, if someone asked about any model sold online, one multibrand shop used to ask for some advance and then used to but it and then sell it for some more.

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member

But, they do. Non-techies buy random crap from them and then complain why that PoS is lagging like hell after 1-2 OTA updates which come with more malware (BBK's OSes are malware themselves).
Isn't this the situation more or less with any chinese manufacturer phone even if takes a few more ota updates & months?

quicky008

Technomancer
most retailers in my town try to push oppo/vivo mobiles whenever an unsuspecting user tries to get a new phone-a few days back someone asked for my suggestion for a new phone and that person was partially convinced by the shopkeeper to get an overpriced oppo phone-i had asked her to get a samsung but she was under the impression that samsung phones are cr@p and so finally she went ahead and bought a redmi device(probably 10S).

The very next day she came in and blamed me for "misleading" her by asking her to avoid buying the oppo phone which the shopkeeper had recommended-she strongly felt that she had made the wrong choice by listening to my advice and going for a phone from a different manufacturer as in her opinion the oppo phone was superior to it in every respect.This made me rather angry but i didn't say anything in order to avoid getting into a pointless altercation with an imbecile at my workplace.

I wonder if she was so fixated with that oppo phone and was hell bent on buying it,why on earth did she even listen to my suggestion in the first place.

Last edited:

powerstarprince

In the zone
Need to purchase a phone for my Dad currently the budget should not increase 10,000/- and his previous phone is a modified iPhone 6/6S which kind of broke.

Found two choices on Amazon one is Samsung M12 and the other is Redmi 10A both have very similar specifications. Need at least 64GB of storage space on device. Apart from that it should be speedy for basic use and run useful apps.

Which of these phones is the better choice or is there an alternate one available?

RumbaMon19

Feel Pain.
most retailers in my town try to push oppo/vivo mobiles whenever an unsuspecting user tries to get a new phone-a few days back someone asked for my suggestion for a new phone and that person was partially convinced by the shopkeeper to get an overpriced oppo phone-i had asked her to get a samsung but she was under the impression that samsung phones are cr@p and so finally she went ahead and bought a redmi device(probably 10S).

The very next day she came in and blamed me for "misleading" her by asking her to avoid buying the oppo phone which the shopkeeper had recommended-she strongly felt that she had made the wrong choice by listening to my advice and going for a phone from a different manufacturer as in her opinion the oppo phone was superior to it in every respect.This made me rather angry but i didn't say anything in order to avoid getting into a pointless altercation with an imbecile at my workplace.

I wonder if she was so fixated with that oppo phone and was hell bent on buying it,why on earth did she even listen to my suggestion in the first place.
Not generalising, girls like to buy oppo Vivo for face beauty mode and selfie.

Top Bottom