** ~10k mobile advice thread **

Arnab boss

In the zone
ya i just saw the pics and specs in release india date site..!!

but did nt liked it..!! is it good to go with y pro duos..!! as i dont need a high end ph with good camera as my e7 is good @ this till yet..!!

it wil b my first android ph and i willl use for surfing and downloading android apps and stuff and for calling and sms..!!

and lastly can the os b upgraded..!!

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
if you want QWERTY Android then yes, else there are better options.

NO OS can't be upgraded officially but unofficially maybe yes.

uday9484

Broken In
@sam

initially thought to go for htc explorer but waited for sony tipo but its getting delayed in mean time was attracted towards defy not for its looks or specs but for rugged use because am new to smart phones , so thought why don't it be so rugged that it can last with my rough usage.

so now which defy ?

deft+ or XT

aroraanant

Explorer
I would not recommend you to buy Defy or def+, the screen is not so good and also it has got poor looks.
Better spend the money on Sony Live With Walkman, it is good phone and also bit type of a rugged phone you can say

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
@sam

initially thought to go for htc explorer but waited for sony tipo but its getting delayed in mean time was attracted towards defy not for its looks or specs but for rugged use because am new to smart phones , so thought why don't it be so rugged that it can last with my rough usage.

so now which defy ?

Go just appeared online at FK so Tipo too should be here soon but soon means 2 months to be safe.

Defy Plus. XT is a degrade rather than upgrade. the processor even though speed is same has came down from ARM Cortex A8 to A5. Latter is targeted at sub 10k mobile and not 15-20k mobiles.

deft+ or XT

if you get a hands on or just browse through videos at youtube, compare the display. unless XT got better display skip it. not worth the 15k pricetag.

uday9484

Broken In
@uday- why don't you buy Neo V for 16k with 8/16GB memory card
yes that will be good buy and even there is one v but to say frankly my initial budget is 8-10k but i stretched to 12-13k
so its down to

xperia LWW

xperia mini

galaxy ace plus

desire c

@ sam
thanks
so defy will be out of contention

Last edited:

uday9484

Broken In
@sam

so finally its between
xperia LWW

3.2 screen
official ics update
slight edge in hardware

defy +

no update
more rugged nature

iam bit confused what to choose because one end it looks like for first time smart phone user 3.2 screen in enough
but another end for same price ur getting 3.7 !

and another thing what can be main differences i can see in android 2.3 and 4.0

coderunknown

Retired Forum Mod
iam bit confused what to choose because one end it looks like for first time smart phone user 3.2 screen in enough

yup. you are right. for first time user 3.2" is sufficient. i too have a 3.2" Android and after 1yr of using it extensively it feels really small. specially browsing through sites where you have to scroll and scroll and scroll. Also games doesn't look the best mainly cause the character turn out to be pixel size. So check Defy+ at some showroom. If 3.7" is ok for you, go for it. Moreover LWW or Defy+, both have Android 4.0 custom rom ready free of all bloatwares and UI the manufacturer added.

4.0 brings better battery backup, a bit of change in UI (homescreen and settings) and general performance increase (UI smoothness gets bumped big time).

xqub33

Broken In
I am thinking of buying HTC explorer online coz its selling for more in the local stores.
I am thinking of buying it from here : HTC Explorer - Buy Online in India for Rs.8,199 as on 17th July 2012 - Price, Features, Reviews, Specifications, Photos, Videos | BuyThePrice.com
How reliable is this site ?
Any other better sites you could recommend. I need those with Cash on Delivery and preferably some return policy.

ajaymailed

In the zone
@sam

so finally its between
xperia LWW

3.2 screen
official ics update
slight edge in hardware

defy +

no update
more rugged nature

The only disadvantage of LWW is smaller screen. if you prefer larger screen, Defy Plus is better, especially while browsing, playing videos, games etc.

elafanto

Journeyman
1. Budget?

10K(max) less if possible

2. Display type and size?
Bar
3. Form Factor? bar, slider, flip?

bar, may consider others depending on the product

4. Preferred choice of brand?

no preference if product is good but not from micromax, spice, iball

5. Preferred input method (QWERTY, touchscreen, numpad, touch-n-type)

I use text messaging too much, so qwerty.
Keypad should be good for typing. If you can suggest a touch phone which is good in typing :-D

6. What camera option you want? Please specify need for flash, autofocus, front facing camera.

no preference but better if click some nice photo

7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).

android 2.3 and more preferable, Symbian....

8. Preferred connectivity options (3G, Wifi etc)Please specify clearly.

3G, good bluetooth are must, Wifi preferable not compulsory

9. Preferred applications (Flash, Swype, GPS, etc)? NA

good if GPS,

10. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, mails, internet, gaming etc)?

Calls, texting(too much), listening music, web surfing

11. Any specific mobile phones in consideration?

Samsung Galaxy Pro B7510, But I I think this have been discontinued

12. Any other info that you want to share

Arnab boss

In the zone
u can opt for samsung galaxy y pro duos GT-B5512...its same as pro only it has a dual sim options..!!

it is available in market and within 10 k....

if you want QWERTY Android then yes, else there are better options.

NO OS can't be upgraded officially but unofficially maybe yes.

hi sam sorry for taken so long as i was out of country for a while in vacation..!!

as u said there r better options..can u give it as i will b going tomorrow to get it..!! :):)

may b i change my mind in this last min suggestion....:-?:-?

guys no reply till yet..!!anyway im then going to get galaxy y pro duos..no other options as i c within this range..in dual sim..!!!

amitzorba

Broken In
I am thinking of buying HTC explorer online coz its selling for more in the local stores.
I am thinking of buying it from here : HTC Explorer - Buy Online in India for Rs.8,199 as on 17th July 2012 - Price, Features, Reviews, Specifications, Photos, Videos | BuyThePrice.com
How reliable is this site ?
Any other better sites you could recommend. I need those with Cash on Delivery and preferably some return policy.

Hi there,

Infibeam is selling them for 8k. A reputed site with 24hr shipping!

cheers!

Arnab boss

In the zone
guys bought samsung galaxy y pro duos yesterday @ 8469 from mumtazudin telecom...i bought it through card if cash then it would cost 8400..!!

mobile store is a selling @ 9689....looting customers..!!

SlashDK

MV VIP to the MAX
Hi people, my father needs a phone for his department for use in conferences etc.

1. Budget?10k (12k max)
2. Display type and size? doesn't matter.
3. Form Factor? bar, slider, flip? preferably bar due to its durability
4. Preferred choice of brand? blackberry,nokia
5. Preferred input method (QWERTY, touchscreen, numpad, touch-n-type).qwerty or touchscreen or both (not numpad)
6. What camera option you want? Please specify need for flash, autofocus, front facing camera. doesn't matter
7. Preferred operating system? (Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows Phone etc).Non-android required (bbOS/Symbian/Windows Phone)
8. Preferred connectivity options (3G, Wifi etc)Please specify clearly. WiFi and 3G both required
9. Preferred applications (Flash, Swype, GPS, etc)? nothing much
10. Primary use of handset (multimedia, camera, mails, internet, gaming etc)? checking mails, presentations, messaging 100s of contacts. Was looking for a phone that allows thousands of contacts to be stored, sorted in groups (same people can be in multiple groups) and messaged.
11. Any specific mobile phones in consideration? was thinking of blackberry phones due to the requirements. Willing to look at nokia too if the build quality of the phone is good and it offers these features.
12. Any other info that you want to share
It will be under very rough use. Most likely a case/cover will be used but do suggest a very rugged phone. Also, expandable storage preffered but not required (willing to look at lumia).

Need to buy it ASAP

Last edited:
Top Bottom