10 GB file in 10 seconds with dial-up....!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
Mike Pronovost, 19, is the chief executive of Powerband Internet, a firm that promises ultra-fast internet speeds even with dial-up phone connections. Moreover, Microsoft is supporting them.

"Our software creates a 'virtual desktop,' so your internet connection isn't used to actually download a file," Pronovost said. Instead, the file is stored on Microsoft's servers. So when a user logs onto a Powerband account, the connection merely runs the files - much faster than downloading. Downloading a 10-gigabyte movie onto a "virtual desktop," Pronovost said, would take about 10 seconds.:D:D

Sounds interesting......!!!

source:*timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Teen_techie_vows_to_boost_dial-up_speeds/rssarticleshow/3934689.cms

ThinkFree

Technomancer
the connection merely runs the files

How would the file run without being downloaded on the computer it is required to be used on?
And what about 2mbps connection? 500GB file in 10 sec ? :D

OP
pr.itdude

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
a teen or techteen.......!!!:grin::)):rolleyes:
runnin a file w/o downloading...........:confused::confused: i think it uses microsoft's server to make connections.......
weired n/wing.........:confused:

IronManForever

IronMan; Ready to Roll...
I did not get it? Even to run it; you'd need a download of some kind which would eat up on bandwidth..

Last edited:

alexanderthegreat

Overlord v2.0
This isn't something to gawp at! I remember digit once reported a 40 Gbps connection. YES, 40 Gbps, Four-Tee-Gee-Bee-Pei-Esss (avoiding all accidental rude words;)). Digit had reported that it belonged to a Granny who used it(read:misused it) to browse recipes, use wesites like yahoo etc. Don't recall which issue though!

How would the file run without being downloaded on the computer it is required to be used on?
And what about 2mbps connection? 500GB file in 10 sec ? :D
THEY provide ANOTHER Internet connection! So, their one won't have such pesky limits.
Anyhow, the file won't run if most of it is not present on the end user's computer. So, either Times of India reporters are n00bs or Mr. Pronovost was drunk or both! (And just don't get me started on Microsoft:p)

spidy333

Broken In
I bet the TOI was drunk.. they always report these type of technical news which they fail to understand and interpret it in quite awkward way...

Cool Joe

The Black Waltz
This isn't something to gawp at! I remember digit once reported a 40 Gbps connection. YES, 40 Gbps, Four-Tee-Gee-Bee-Pei-Esss (avoiding all accidental rude words;)). Digit had reported that it belonged to a Granny who used it(read:misused it) to browse recipes, use wesites like yahoo etc. Don't recall which issue though!
That bit WAS really true. The granny's grandson is an expert in fibre optics, and he was able to get his granny the 40 gbps connection.

alexanderthegreat

Overlord v2.0
@beta testing:I know it was true. Didn't my tone sound so? Oh, waittaminute, I wasn't speaking, just typing, so yeah, I meant that "this speed is nothing compared to the one I've heard of, and this one's for real!". It was in the tabloid tech section I guess, wasn't it? In the upper corner. That section is always worth reading in the mag!

OP
pr.itdude

pr.itdude

tHe nEw gEEk......ITian
ya....difficult to believe but everything is possible.....!! a 40Gbps connection too...........
when internet was developed they were also thinking of that 2Mbps speed is impossible but now i am using it... haha:D :D :D and 20% of indian too......(im weak in stats):idea::idea:

but what if this will become possible................:idea::idea:
no one needs a broadband then???:rolleyes::rolleyes:
and 1more thing what will be the charges? :confused:
:D:D must b cheaper than having a real broadband connection:D:D.........lol

Cool Joe

The Black Waltz
@beta testing:I know it was true. Didn't my tone sound so? Oh, waittaminute, I wasn't speaking, just typing, so yeah, I meant that "this speed is nothing compared to the one I've heard of, and this one's for real!". It was in the tabloid tech section I guess, wasn't it? In the upper corner. That section is always worth reading in the mag!
Ahh I misread your post. I'm kicking myself for not having read it properly. It was not the Tabloid Tech section BTW, it appeared at the end of the mag in the news section. I've read it online as well.

Faun

Wahahaha~!
Staff member
I bet the TOI was drunk.. they always report these type of technical news which they fail to understand and interpret it in quite awkward way...
hahaha..I hate that fugly newspaper. Punjab Kesri for new age literates...lol

Its like ImageShack's feature to host image from another server to ImageShack.us.
It can copy a 2mb image in less than a second, but that does not mean you have 8MBPS.
Its THEY who have that internet.

Its no big deal actually. Just a clever use of marketing and server space to mislead people.
But when you want to PLAY files, it needs to streamed over to you. Then you will see the REAL speed. A 700MB XviD rip would take days together to play on dialup :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom