1 TB or more Internal HDD

rickson23

The Pirate King
I download lot of stuff from torrents.
External HDD arent reliable, so suggest a good solid 1TB and 2TB internal Hdd for mass storage.

Myth

Cyborg Agent
If you are collecting movies and similar large sized files, go for a 2TB.
Western Digital Green 2TB : 7,050.00
Seagate 2TB Green : 7,221.00

d6bmg

BMG ftw!!
External HDD arent reliable, so suggest a good solid 1TB and 2TB internal Hdd for mass storage.

Who said that?? Theoretically USB powered external HDDs are more reliable than internal HDDs due to the lower power on time.

OP
R

rickson23

The Pirate King
My friends have lost data on many externals.. Even my external wd passport 3yrs 500gb is very slow now.. I haven't had any problem with internal samsung for 5yrs now

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
Theoretically USB powered external HDDs are more reliable than internal HDDs due to the lower power on time.
not exactly correct.more than power on time it is the starting up of conventional hdd's(rotating platters & other moving parts) which is a bigger factor in wearing down of components.in fact some ppl think that 1 cycle of powering up & down of hdd can be compared to same wearing due to continuous running of ~8 hours.many prefer to let hdd's run continuously rather than turning them on/off more than 2 times in a day.also external hdd's are more prone to damage because of their natural handling compared to internal hdd which sit quietly inside cabinet.

OP
R

rickson23

The Pirate King
So WD GREEN 2TB IS IT? My computer remains ON fpr long periods.
How much warranty on this product?
WD Service is better in my remote place too

whitestar_999

Super Moderator
Staff member
seagate 2tb 5900rpm drive is faster & has more positive reviews than WD 2tb 5400rpm drive but has 1yr warranty while WD has 2yrs.it all comes down to your luck & also sometimes more than the drive it is data which is more important.so a drive with 1 yr warranty which works well for 3 yrs is better than a drive with 2yrs warranty which fails after 1.5yrs because data is lost even if the drive is replaced.

mitraark

Decrepit
Buy either of WD 2 TB Green or Seagate 2 TB 5900 RPM HDD, both are almost the same , you can get the WD since it gives 2 Years warranty , but i just bought a Seagate , did not think about it so much.

I too download a LOT of Stuff , + i upload almost all the time at 10MB/s in my local network , the HDDs are running quite well . However i feel you should limit the number of simultaneous reads the HDD is having to make , that is , don't seed too many torrents at once , the read head has to move repeatedly then and it wears down the HDD faster. I seed a few torrents at a time , and have only 2 slots open in DC++.

Top Bottom