1 TB HDD Buying Advice Required

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
Hi,
Iam planning to buy a 1 tb within few weeks.I want a fast and reliable drive with good warranty.I had finalised on seagate ST1000DM003.But they come with only 1 year warranty and Iam getting mixed reviews on seagate. WD Black is coming at 6500 and above. which is the best one?.How about toshiba or samsung F3?.My budget is 5.5 max.Please suggest.

Myth

Cyborg Agent
seagate - 1yr
wd blue - 2 yrs
wd black - 5 yrs
wd green - 2 yrs(not recommended)
Try for wd blue or black(costlier)

gameranand

Living to Play
Well the Black is the best but its out of your budget. Green has reliability issue so better stick with Blue Edition. :)

OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
Well the Black is the best but its out of your budget. Green has reliability issue so better stick with Blue Edition. :)

What exactly is the difference between blue, green and black?.What about Samsung or Toshiba?.Can someone share me the exact model numbers?

gameranand

Living to Play
Black - Pure performance and reliable.
Green - Power saving (5400rpm).
Blue - A balance between performance and reliability.

OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
> HN: Please share the seagate link.
Can i go for seagate if it's available with 2 years warranty?.Or WD blue is better?.Can some one share the link for WD blue?

It seems WD Blue also comes with 1 year warranty.
*www.flipkart.com/wd-caviar-blue-1-tb-desktop-internal-hard-drive-wd10ealx/p/itmd9zynrumakdkx?pid=IHDD9ZYM4FVHGG4G&ref=691d7d4b-7891-4231-a30f-71e832210c6a

gameranand

Living to Play
I told you already. Better go for WD Blue as their RMA is also quite good. I have seen it with two of my friends. :)

OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
I told you already. Better go for WD Blue as their RMA is also quite good. I have seen it with two of my friends. :)
Got that already.Thanks! But from where?.It's out of stock in FK and Itdepot is not listing it.I found it here:

WD Caviar Blue 1 TB Desktop Internal SATA Hard Disk WD10EALX - Buy Online in India for Rs.5,649 as on 3rd November 2012 - Price, Features, Reviews, Specifications, Photos, Videos | BuyThePrice.com

Is this site reliable? Do you have any xperience with this site?

Cilus

laborare est orare
Check this one: WD Caviar Green 1 TB Desktop Internal Hard Drive (WD10EARX) | Internal Hard Drive | Flipkart.com

GamerAnand, not all WD Green models are 5400 rpm. They saves energy by means of other energy saving features and not has couple of technologies present for enhancing the Transfer rate in Blue and Black variants. I have one WD Green 1 TB which is a 7200 rpm one.

OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
Just now, found a WD Caviar Black on a lesser price.But it has got only SATA 3.0 gb interface and 32 mb cache.Can some one comment on site and model?

Buy Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB SATA Hard Disk Drive [WD1001FALS] in India at the best price. Screenshots, videos, reviews available.

bong

Broken In
HDD are not fully optimised to take full advantage of 6gb/s port. and in 6gb/s port hdd are not as effective as SSD. the performance lift in 6gb/s HDD does not worth the value. better opt out for a SSD in that place. 3gb/s 32 mb cache hdd are pretty decent., i would go for that.

also you need a 6gb/s port in yourmotherboard

OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
HDD are not fully optimised to take full advantage of 6gb/s port. and in 6gb/s port hdd are not as effective as SSD. the performance lift in 6gb/s HDD does not worth the value. better opt out for a SSD in that place. 3gb/s 32 mb cache hdd are pretty decent., i would go for that.

also you need a 6gb/s port in yourmotherboard
ok.So any idea on the site?.or any other site you know where i can get the WD caviar black?
One more thing my mobo doesn't have an SATA 6GB/s interface.So will it not at all support drives with SATA 6 GB/s ?

Cilus

laborare est orare
^^ Sata 6 Gbps might not designed for HDD but why lesser cache is better? In a simple rule of thumb...higher the Cache, better the write speed, if the HDDs are built of using same tech. And frankly, SATA 6 Gbps and SATA 3 Gbps versions are priced almost same

drkks

Banned
One more thing my mobo doesn't have an SATA 6GB/s interface.So will it not at all support drives with SATA 6 GB/s ?
That is not an issue at all. It all depends on the SATA port speed of your mobo. If your mobo's SATA port speed is 2 GB/sec no matter the speed of HDD, it will work at 2 GB/sec only. I hope you are getting my point.

Hi,
Iam planning to buy a 1 tb within few weeks.I want a fast and reliable drive with good warranty.I had finalised on seagate ST1000DM003.But they come with only 1 year warranty and Iam getting mixed reviews on seagate. WD Black is coming at 6500 and above. which is the best one?.How about toshiba or samsung F3?.My budget is 5.5 max.Please suggest.

IMO, I will stick with a Seagate HDD (pref. 7200 rpm) any day.

OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
Can someone tell me where i can get a WD Caviar Blue 1 TB online?.I have been searching and was not able to find.Most of the sites even if listed they are out of stock.

Cilus

laborare est orare
The 1 TB Blue model is not available probably. It is not present in sites like Theitwares or Smcinternational and probably replaced with the WD Green SATA III 64 MB Cache models.
1 thing, although HDD can't take advantage of SATA 6 Gbps bandwidth, it is observed in most of the scenarios that they provide better performance than their SATA II brothers. I am personally using the WD Green 1TB 64 MB SATA II 3 Gbps version and found out that their performance is better than my Seagate 1 TB version of mine.

OP
jackal_79

jackal_79

Get Digit ized
I have ordered a WD Caviar Black 1 TB from FK for 6038.(Price got reduced this week).It has 5 years warranty.This thread can be closed.

Naxal

Little Kid
I am having a similar question.

I find WD Green with 64mb cache compare to blue 32mb in 1TB segment.

Now the question is why are so many people referring blue in stead of green ?

I need to buy a 1 TB hence would like to know why not to buy WD Green. Is it slower in performance compare to blue ??

Any review or such links would be appreciable !!

Top Bottom